Discontinued rivalries/series you would like to see renewed

Mavchamp

On 5/5/2020 at 7:48 AM, BuckNut said:

Pittsburg and Mount Pleasant,  Daingerfield and Gilmer,  Daingerfield and Pittsburg

think we got at least one more generation before Pitt/MP starts up again

2 hours ago, Bock said:

think we got at least one more generation before Pitt/MP starts up again

Not sure what that means. 

Proximty seems to be appealing. 

But isn’t MP significantly bigger than PItt?   How many classifications are they apart?

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

But isn’t MP significantly bigger than PItt?   How many classifications are they apart?

Only 1. Pitt is 4a d2. MP has played down that far before but there was bigger problems that classifications. But i wish it would get started again. 

49 minutes ago, budmanmpfan said:

Only 1. Pitt is 4a d2. MP has played down that far before but there was bigger problems that classifications. But i wish it would get started again. 

MP and Pitt would be fun

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

at Some point in the early 90's there was an exchange of extracurricular activity in the parking lots after a couple of games and that put the hiatus on

On 5/9/2020 at 4:08 PM, Bock said:

at Some point in the early 90's there was an exchange of extracurricular activity in the parking lots after a couple of games and that put the hiatus on

From whay i have been told by my parents and others is that everything started in the 80s and carried over to the 90s. I played little league baseball in 95 and remember coaches arguing bc Pittsburg didnt want us apart of theor tournament.

I know the size of the town doesn’t always predict the size of the school (see Hallsville) 

but....

MP and Pittsburgh seem like odd rivals.  Yes.... they are geographically close. But they seem worlds apart.  

Mp seems like a typical medium sized East Texas 5A school like Marshall, Jax, Nac. 

Pitt seems like a typical small East Texas town. 

Just my ignorance on Pittsburgh TBH though. They clearly have the history to play up. 

On 5/12/2020 at 8:47 PM, Mavchamp said:

I know the size of the town doesn’t always predict the size of the school (see Hallsville) 

but....

MP and Pittsburgh seem like odd rivals.  Yes.... they are geographically close. But they seem worlds apart.  

Mp seems like a typical medium sized East Texas 5A school like Marshall, Jax, Nac. 

Pitt seems like a typical small East Texas town. 

Just my ignorance on Pittsburgh TBH though. They clearly have the history to play up. 

They used to play a lot. But after the last time and some extracurriculars between fans and players, i would be surprised if it ever got going again. I remember them having to play with no fans at basketball and football games. Its just 2 towns that really do not like each other.

Marshall/Hallsville should be huuuuge as close as they are.

But outside of a couple of years in the early 2010’s it’s been total domination.  Rarely even competitive.   

On 5/8/2020 at 10:54 AM, LoboFan07 said:

Are you sure that's right about no points for playing out of states?

I always remember West Monroe and Evangel fans keeping up with our seasons because they needed us to do well etc. Not to mention all the times we've played Ruston, Ouachita and Neville over the years.

It’s the reason.  Logansport coach told me that.  And the higher seeded in playoffs the more playoff games you could possibly host.  Lots of money would be lost

On 5/16/2020 at 9:13 AM, DB2point0 said:

It’s the reason.  Logansport coach told me that.  And the higher seeded in playoffs the more playoff games you could possibly host.  Lots of money would be lost

http://cdn.lhsaa.org/uploads/handbook/Football_20-21_rev1.pdf

Page 14.

When a team’s opponent is an out-of-state team, the classification of the out-of-state team shall be determined by verifying the latest enrollment of the team through its state association and applying its enrollment to the enrollment numbers used in classifying LHSAA schools at the last classification meeting.

1.When a school plays an out-of-state school that has a game remaining on its schedule after the LHSAA’s tenth playing date, that game shall not be used in determining the school’s powerrating.

2.When a school plays an out-of-state school all contests played that count on their regular season record shall be used to calculate a school’s power rating.

3.If an out-of-state opponent plays more than 10 regular season games by the time of the LHSAA’s 10th playing date, only the results of the first 10 games it played shall be applied in the LHSAA’s Wild-Card Program.

They definitely get points for playing out of state teams.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 9:13 AM, DB2point0 said:

Hey Bub!  Just a heads up....If LoboFan07 tells you it's Christmas, go decorate the tree. The guy knows his stuff and does more research then the rest of us all added together.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 5

13 hours ago, Oldetexfan said:

Hey Bub!  Just a heads up....If LoboFan07 tells you it's Christmas, go decorate the tree. The guy knows his stuff and does more research then the rest of us all added together.

Just going by what I was told

4 hours ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

I always thought Nac and Marshall should always play because they both dropped from 12 5A back in the day.

Agreed. It’s hard to say Nac/ Lufkin or Marshall/ Longview are good rivalries when they are so lopsided. Although I think Nac has a long way to go before they’re going to be competitive with Marshall on a regular basis. If like to see the new coaching staff get them turned around. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

I always thought Nac and Marshall should always play because they both dropped from 12 5A back in the day.

We’ve been district rivals intermittently since we both dropped in 2002.  

Marshall, Hallsville, and PT have ping ponged between the south district with Nac, Jax, and WH (JT too) and the North district with Texas High, MP, and SS (Greenville too).

I think the split divisions will slow the back and forth for a bit in football. At least until WH and/or Hallsville go Division I.  Texas High is on the bubble too. 

I think the back And forth continues in all the other sports though.  Sometimes we’ll be north. Sometimes south.  

It could be interesting to see what would happen with alignment if Lufkin or JT were to drop to Division II.  Don’t think either are close. But I’m not 100%. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Proven track record. I don’t believe nac has had that in quite some time. I know of him . My wife was in school around when he was in Odessa. Good guy but went to a program that not known for winning.  Wife is from Diboll so closer to home was a big decision.

Well if you look at the past three hires for Nac they were proven winners. 
Reyes 

Ford 

Harper

Reyes had the most success out of the three and that was basically two winning seasons and two playoff appearances so that’s not saying much. I believe if Allman can win here consistently it would solidify his coaching career.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 6:07 PM, Aledo said:

Not really a rivalry because we dont play often enough but Aledo/Ennis are 2-2 overall. Ennis has won 2 non-district games while Aledo has won 2 playoff games. 

Would love for Ennis / Aledo to play more often. Great match up for both teams

4 minutes ago, BACKnBLACK said:

Would love for Ennis / Aledo to play more often. Great match up for both teams

What's up BnB? I would like to see JT play Ennis again. It was always entertaining chatting with you in the game threads on smoaky.

On 5/19/2020 at 10:59 PM, nacdragon07 said:

Well if you look at the past three hires for Nac they were proven winners. 
Reyes 

Ford 

Harper

Reyes had the most success out of the three and that was basically two winning seasons and two playoff appearances so that’s not saying much. I believe if Allman can win here consistently it would solidify his coaching career.

Love how all three of those guys had Marshall ties. 

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Love how all three of those guys had Marshall ties. 

Yeah. I hate We couldn’t get the job done with Harper and Ford. The school board had a lot to do with Harper. They complained the practices were too intense. He got sick of it.

18 hours ago, VonG said:

What's up BnB? I would like to see JT play Ennis again. It was always entertaining chatting with you in the game threads on smoaky.

Hi Von, Hope all is well.  Me to Ennis vs JT was great ! Have enjoyed our chats as well. I believe JT is Div 1 this year. Would love to see more match ups