Discontinued rivalries/series you would like to see renewed

Mavchamp

• 2 months later...
On 5/8/2020 at 9:24 AM, highschoolfootball99 said:

Teague vs Fairfield have only played twice since 2003 if you don’t count scrimmages and it is finally back this year and next year hopefully it will stay for year’s to come. It was always the best week in freestone County year in and year out didn’t matter if someone was 9-0 or 0-9 the game was always good!

Definitely looking forward to this rivalry being revived this year.  It will be a packed 50% capacity house in Teague under those Friday night lights.

On 5/4/2020 at 8:18 AM, d0tc0m said:

I would love to see Celina and Pilot Point renew things again. We hated each other when I was in school. We grew up learning to despise the Bearcats. Pilot Point week was intense all around, and things would get pretty nasty between us and them leading up to the game. But it was a blast. It was always the "blackout" pep rally too, and the cheerleaders/band/drill team, everybody would always go all out. Hell, to this day, I still hate the look of orange and black and refuse the combination.

This! A war most years and either stadium was standing room only. All the back and forth of coaches and even a few players to each town make this rivalry more intense. 

2 hours ago, Ballboy23 said:

This! A war most years and either stadium was standing room only. All the back and forth of coaches and even a few players to each town make this rivalry more intense. 

The 2002 iteration was insane. That was my sophomore season. We were in the middle of the long, long streak. We hadn’t lost a game since Pilot Point beat us at home one Friday night in October four years earlier. We’d both jumped up to 3A, AND G.A Moore had gone back to PP, and he took a host of great coaches with him — chief of which was our OC Danny David, the current HC with the Bearcats. Both teams had really good squads. The DFW media attention around that one was wild. People literally started camping out at Pilot Point stadium on Tuesday of that week. It rained non-stop all week, and come Friday, we had multiple lightning delays and didn’t kick off until right at 9 o’clock, and it was STILL raining buckets. That was our first ever time to wear the all white uniforms, and after a few plays, they were dirt black. That was a nasty nasty game, and a defensive struggle. Pilot Point had a few good chances to take the lead late, but we held them off and ended up winning 10-0. Had to follow that game up with an even crazier game against Gainesville the very next Friday.

Marshall-Kilgore
Marshall- John Tyler
Marshall- Lufkin

Haven't played Lufkin since 2003.  Haven't had JT since 2010.  We have TONS of history with them.  Of course....the game wouldn't have any meaning to current students.  Most of them weren't even born last time we played the Panthers.  And they were young with JT.  I would just hope the games would be competitive and not Lobo-esque matchups.

I'm always happy to see Texas High back on the schedule.  I think they make us better.

And Kilgore was just a really fun intense rivalry from 2002-2013.  Kilgore isn't quite what they were back in those days....

And the rebirth of the Carthage series was a great deal.  I hope we can pick it back up next season or in 2021 after the Pandemic.  

• 7 months later...
On 5/9/2020 at 7:57 AM, Bock said:

think we got at least one more generation before Pitt/MP starts up again

Pitt/Mp game has bn ripe for a decade. The reservations come from people who dont know the ins and outs of both towns. Mp kids have bn playing with Pitt lil league teams the last ten years as teammates because Pitt plays in a higher caliber lil league program, Tri-county out of Tyler. This is a generation of Twitter, Instagram, Facebook..etc, so kids are known to one another easily. Besides, a lot of high school kids are on same 7 on 7 teams and attend camps together. The time is way past now, trust the fact.

On 5/9/2020 at 7:57 AM, Bock said:

think we got at least one more generation before Pitt/MP starts up again

Unfortunate it seems to always be ignorance which causes good things to end. I played in that rivalry in the 80's, ALWAYS a great game, lots of fans, bragging rights 'til the next year. Had great friends on the other side of the ball, combatants during the game, fishing buddies after it was over. 

Daingerfield/MP was always a great rivalry as well. Not sure why that one stopped except for maybe the difference in classification.

On 5/12/2020 at 7:47 PM, Mavchamp said:

I know the size of the town doesn’t always predict the size of the school (see Hallsville) 

but....

MP and Pittsburgh seem like odd rivals.  Yes.... they are geographically close. But they seem worlds apart.  

Mp seems like a typical medium sized East Texas 5A school like Marshall, Jax, Nac. 

Pitt seems like a typical small East Texas town. 

Just my ignorance on Pittsburgh TBH though. They clearly have the history to play up. 

Don't always base a team on the size of the school. 5A division, 4A numbers, at least on the football side. 

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, house said:

As difficult as it is for Carthage to schedule games, just wondered why they haven't crossed the river occasionally.  Suspect there is good reason.    

Louisiana is on a different realignment as well.  I have heard that they are going to get on the same one now since their season was messed up due to covid this year. So you might see some cross state games this year. But in the past they have been on a different schedule cycle except when they keep weeks open to play battle of the border special games like that.