The Smoakhouse Forums

Discontinued rivalries/series you would like to see renewed

20 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

We stopped playing games against them after ‘03. I’m not real clear on the reasons why. I know both current coaches well, and they would love to resume the series, but there are several things across the state line that make it difficult. To start with, their new realignment starts in odd years, ours in even. So one team would either have to settle for a nine game season or find someone willing to play only once. Also, Louisiana playoff seeding is based on power points, and they get no points for playing out of state teams. With them being 1A, it would be extremely difficult to make up for a week where they get no points. They could beat a Texas state champion by 50 and it would cost them 2-3 playoff seeds, which would mean the difference in hosting 4 playoff games or having to travel. So I guess we’ll stick to the current scrimmage format for now. 

Are you sure that's right about no points for playing out of states?

I always remember West Monroe and Evangel fans keeping up with our seasons because they needed us to do well etc. Not to mention all the times we've played Ruston, Ouachita and Neville over the years.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey Bub!  Just a heads up....If LoboFan07 tells you it's Christmas, go decorate the tree. The guy knows his stuff and does more research then the rest of us all added together.

Can't think of a single "rivalry" game that Longview isn't still playing. Obviously we've had a lot of rivalry type games through the years. Gilmer was a very big rival in the early, early d

Their ability to only score one or two offensive touchdowns total in the last 3-4 years, maybe?

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

I always remember West Monroe and Evangel fans keeping up with our seasons because they needed us to do well etc. Not to mention all the times we've played Ruston, Ouachita and Neville over the years.

I thought that was odd as well. Sounds like a Louisiana type of thing.

5 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

The way the Logansport coach explained it to me, it hurts the 1A schools the most. The difference in realignment years is the biggest hurdle. 

On 5/6/2020 at 9:11 PM, trueblue82 said:

Joaquin vs Logansport, LA. We’ve scrimmaged them the last several years, but a game would be much better. Not playing Tenaha for two years is gonna be lame. Shelbyville vs Tenaha deserves another look. Timpson vs Shelbyville will happen this year for the first time in years. Because Center has almost 4x the enrollment of any of the other four Shelby county schools, they don’t have a natural rival. SA is the same size as those, and for some reason, Center has never developed a rivalry with Nacogdoches. I think they’ve beaten Carthage once in the past 20 years. 

Garrison played Center a lot back in the 60s with Center thrashing us most of the time.  Back in the early 2000s Garrison whipped up on them pretty good a few times.  I can't remember the last time we played, but I think Center has won the last couple of times we played ...

31 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Garrison played Center a lot back in the 60s with Center thrashing us most of the time.  Back in the early 2000s Garrison whipped up on them pretty good a few times.  I can't remember the last time we played, but I think Center has won the last couple of times we played ...

Now that Garrison looks to be 2A for the foreseeable future, it does Center no good to play any of their.neighbors. They could beat Garrison, Timpson, Tenaha, Joaquin, Shelbyville or SA by 40. So what? You beat a school with less than 1/3 of your enrollment. What happens in a year that one of those teams is loaded and they pull the upset? Center’s coaching staff would be tarred and feathered on the courthouse square. It’s literally a nothing to gain, everything to lose scenario. 

On 5/5/2020 at 7:48 AM, BuckNut said:

Pittsburg and Mount Pleasant,  Daingerfield and Gilmer,  Daingerfield and Pittsburg

think we got at least one more generation before Pitt/MP starts up again

2 hours ago, Bock said:

think we got at least one more generation before Pitt/MP starts up again

Not sure what that means. 

Proximty seems to be appealing. 

But isn’t MP significantly bigger than PItt?   How many classifications are they apart?

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

But isn’t MP significantly bigger than PItt?   How many classifications are they apart?

Only 1. Pitt is 4a d2. MP has played down that far before but there was bigger problems that classifications. But i wish it would get started again. 

49 minutes ago, budmanmpfan said:

Only 1. Pitt is 4a d2. MP has played down that far before but there was bigger problems that classifications. But i wish it would get started again. 

MP and Pitt would be fun

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

at Some point in the early 90's there was an exchange of extracurricular activity in the parking lots after a couple of games and that put the hiatus on

On 5/9/2020 at 4:08 PM, Bock said:

at Some point in the early 90's there was an exchange of extracurricular activity in the parking lots after a couple of games and that put the hiatus on

From whay i have been told by my parents and others is that everything started in the 80s and carried over to the 90s. I played little league baseball in 95 and remember coaches arguing bc Pittsburg didnt want us apart of theor tournament.

I know the size of the town doesn’t always predict the size of the school (see Hallsville) 

but....

MP and Pittsburgh seem like odd rivals.  Yes.... they are geographically close. But they seem worlds apart.  

Mp seems like a typical medium sized East Texas 5A school like Marshall, Jax, Nac. 

Pitt seems like a typical small East Texas town. 

Just my ignorance on Pittsburgh TBH though. They clearly have the history to play up. 

On 5/12/2020 at 8:47 PM, Mavchamp said:

I know the size of the town doesn’t always predict the size of the school (see Hallsville) 

but....

MP and Pittsburgh seem like odd rivals.  Yes.... they are geographically close. But they seem worlds apart.  

Mp seems like a typical medium sized East Texas 5A school like Marshall, Jax, Nac. 

Pitt seems like a typical small East Texas town. 

Just my ignorance on Pittsburgh TBH though. They clearly have the history to play up. 

They used to play a lot. But after the last time and some extracurriculars between fans and players, i would be surprised if it ever got going again. I remember them having to play with no fans at basketball and football games. Its just 2 towns that really do not like each other.

I always thought geography matches would be fun as long they’re avoiding the obvious  mismatches aka Longview vs Kilgore ex: Chapel Hill vs ARP SpringHill vs Pine Tree ,  West Rusk vs Carlise, Jacksonville vs Rusk , Bullard vs Jax.

Marshall/Hallsville should be huuuuge as close as they are.

But outside of a couple of years in the early 2010’s it’s been total domination.  Rarely even competitive.   

9 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Marshall/Hallsville should be huuuuge as close as they are.

But outside of a couple of years in the early 2010’s it’s been total domination.  Rarely even competitive.   

I agree one town takes football seriously the other is an afterthought.

On 5/8/2020 at 10:54 AM, LoboFan07 said:

It’s the reason.  Logansport coach told me that.  And the higher seeded in playoffs the more playoff games you could possibly host.  Lots of money would be lost

On 5/16/2020 at 9:13 AM, DB2point0 said:

It’s the reason.  Logansport coach told me that.  And the higher seeded in playoffs the more playoff games you could possibly host.  Lots of money would be lost

http://cdn.lhsaa.org/uploads/handbook/Football_20-21_rev1.pdf

Page 14.

When a team’s opponent is an out-of-state team, the classification of the out-of-state team shall be determined by verifying the latest enrollment of the team through its state association and applying its enrollment to the enrollment numbers used in classifying LHSAA schools at the last classification meeting.

1.When a school plays an out-of-state school that has a game remaining on its schedule after the LHSAA’s tenth playing date, that game shall not be used in determining the school’s powerrating.

2.When a school plays an out-of-state school all contests played that count on their regular season record shall be used to calculate a school’s power rating.

3.If an out-of-state opponent plays more than 10 regular season games by the time of the LHSAA’s 10th playing date, only the results of the first 10 games it played shall be applied in the LHSAA’s Wild-Card Program.

They definitely get points for playing out of state teams.

On 5/16/2020 at 9:13 AM, DB2point0 said:

Hey Bub!  Just a heads up....If LoboFan07 tells you it's Christmas, go decorate the tree. The guy knows his stuff and does more research then the rest of us all added together.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
13 hours ago, Oldetexfan said:

Just going by what I was told

Couple of series I’d love to see Marshall renew:

Lufkin, John Tyler, Monroe Neville, Monroe Ouachita, Shreveport Byrd

Just to name a few. 

50 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Couple of series I’d love to see Marshall renew:

Lufkin, John Tyler, Monroe Neville, Monroe Ouachita, Shreveport Byrd

Just to name a few. 

I always thought Nac and Marshall should always play because they both dropped from 12 5A back in the day.

4 hours ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

I always thought Nac and Marshall should always play because they both dropped from 12 5A back in the day.

Agreed. It’s hard to say Nac/ Lufkin or Marshall/ Longview are good rivalries when they are so lopsided. Although I think Nac has a long way to go before they’re going to be competitive with Marshall on a regular basis. If like to see the new coaching staff get them turned around. 

• Like 1