Greatest EVER...Please read before responding and THANK YOU in advance...

Smoaky

I am honored to be serving on a statewide committee of only about a dozen Texas high school football historians, coaches or writers. It's perhaps the best professional honor I've received, including being a voter for the Heisman Trophy.

But, I wouldn't be here without you.

So, I need you to help me compile a list of THE GREATEST:

1) Players

2) Teams

3) Rivalries

Please hear me out, this thread only needs to include NOMINATIONS with EVIDENCE and/or FACTS. Please limit any and all discussion to the nominations and not turn a nomination into a hi-jacked thread of back and forth.

Your feedback WILL make a difference in my personal list and we have a short turnaround, so the deadline of your feedback is Sunday, May 10th.

When you include a player or a team or rivalries, PLEASE be as specific as you can be. And, I will also do my own due diligence and homework.

Thank you very much and more details to come.

David Smoak

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Smoak - In case no one else says it, at least one of Coach Paul Tyson's Waco Tigers teams needs to be honored. Either the 1927 team, or - I think - the '21 team (I've been trying to confirm stats).

The '27 team "went 14-0 and didn't give up a touchdown until their 10th game, which must have upset them. The next week in a playoff game, they took it out on Houston's Jeff Davis, 124-0.

The '27 Tigers beat Abilene for the state title and, finished with Texas teams, invited one from Cleveland, Ohio, to come to Waco, where they beat the Ohioans, 44-12." *Dallas Morning News

The '21 team went 9-0, scoring either 526 or 567 points, depending on the source, while allowing none (So averaging either a 58.5-0 or 63-0 score for the season), in fact allowing only one team to even cross midfield the entire season. They may have hit 100 points in a game that season too, can't confirm (They did it on multiple occasions). The only reason they didn't win the state title was because they weren't yet members of the UIL. 

• Thanks 1

I would also like to submit The Battle Of The Bell between Rockdale and Cameron Yoe for consideration as one of the best rivalries. 

There are so many fascinating facets to this rivalry! For starters, I'm not aware that any other rivalry presents a comparable foundation - Two small towns only sixteen miles apart, but the two biggest in the same rural county, separated by a river. So many residents of either town who are either related to, friends with, or business associates of members of the other community. Fifty-one weeks of the year, we generally get along famously.

Yoe holds a decided edge in the rivalry record. But Rockdale claims the biggest butt-whoopin' in the series.

Yoe has the most state titles - Four, to Rockdale's two - But Rockdale got one first. 

From 2010 to 2017, the Bell went to the state championship game six times, going home with the winners four times - Three with Yoe and one with Rockdale. 

Despite the long history of the rivalry, Yoe and Rockdale have met in the playoffs only once. You can call Georgetown ISD or Georgetown PD and talk to someone working that night and ask them how it went. 😏

Both teams even currently have a former player in the NFL!

Then, there are the legendary fan antics, including a Tigers helmet made from a pumpkin placed on the bust of C.H. Yoe in front of the school the night before the BOTB pep rally, a toilet left on the 50 yard line of Tigers field, and even the Bell itself being thrown in the Little River, among many others!

Hope this qualifies! LOL!

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 10:02 AM, Aledo said:

Player:

Johnathan Gray- Aledo

10,889 career rushing yards (2nd All-Time in Texas)

205 career touchdowns (1st All-Time National Record) 

51 career 100 yard games (1st All-Time)

Single season 100 yard games- 16 (2x)

70 touchdowns in a single season (1st All-Time in Texas)

Career Points 1,232 (1st All-Time in Texas)

https://www.texashighschoolfootballhistory.com/romney.html

https://twitter.com/i/status/1262483237298896897

Team:

2013 Aledo

16-0

Points for- 1,023

Points against- 147

https://www.dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/2013/12/16/why-aledo-s-dominant-offense-might-be-best-in-high-school-football-history/

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/texas-hs-becomes-first-team-ever-to-score-1-000-points-in-season-122113

We were in Mansfield playing Daingerfield while Aledo was playing in Cowboys Stadium in 2010. They kept announcing Gray's TDs over the PA during our game, and the Aledo game ended before ours. When they announced Gray had ran for eight touchdowns that night, the Yoe crowd was all looking at each other like, "WTH???"

Crying shame he didn't make it on the next level. 

• 2 months later...

Players-  Kenneth Hall, Johnathan Gray, CEDRIC Benson, Hayden Martinez, Or Travis Quintanilla

Teams- Celina Bobcats 68 straight, Mart Panthers, Aledo Bearcats, or Katy.

Rivalries- Permian vs Midland Lee or Rockdale vs Yoe only two that are still true rivalries and never miss a season against each other.

If you need me to name 1 in each category here are mine:

player- Jonathan Gray

Team- Mart Panthers

Rivalry- Permian vs Lee

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2020 at 6:00 PM, 88YoePride said:

Then, there are the legendary fan antics, including a Tigers helmet made from a pumpkin placed on the bust of C.H. Yoe in front of the school the night before the BOTB pep rally, a toilet left on the 50 yard line of Tigers field, and even the Bell itself being thrown in the Little River, among many others!

Hope this qualifies! LOL!

I knew about the pumpkin and toilet but had never heard of the bell being tossed in the river. I need to know more about that one. What year was that?

I second the Battle of the Bell rivalry. I've been to numerous "Rivalry" games and not many can compete with the energy of those Battle of the Bell games. I know people from other schools who will drive over just to watch that game. Their own teams will be playing and they're like, Nope, Battle of the Bell. And 88YoePride is right, man that time Cameron and Rockdale met in the playoffs over in Georgetown, we got there at 4pm and it was almost 2 hours sitting in our car in line before we made it to the parking lot. It. was. crazy. I swear half of central texas was there that night!

Player - Traion Smith, Cameron Yoe - Smith, who became both the single-season and career rushing leaders in Central Texas. Smith ran for 3,010 yards, becoming the first Central Texas player to eclipse the 3,000-yard mark, and scored 50 touchdowns in 2015, giving him an area-record 7,625 yards for his career.

• Like 1

• Smoaky unpinned this topic
On 9/9/2020 at 8:42 AM, RoYegue said:

I knew about the pumpkin and toilet but had never heard of the bell being tossed in the river. I need to know more about that one. What year was that?

I second the Battle of the Bell rivalry. I've been to numerous "Rivalry" games and not many can compete with the energy of those Battle of the Bell games. I know people from other schools who will drive over just to watch that game. Their own teams will be playing and they're like, Nope, Battle of the Bell. And 88YoePride is right, man that time Cameron and Rockdale met in the playoffs over in Georgetown, we got there at 4pm and it was almost 2 hours sitting in our car in line before we made it to the parking lot. It. was. crazy. I swear half of central texas was there that night!

Player - Traion Smith, Cameron Yoe - Smith, who became both the single-season and career rushing leaders in Central Texas. Smith ran for 3,010 yards, becoming the first Central Texas player to eclipse the 3,000-yard mark, and scored 50 touchdowns in 2015, giving him an area-record 7,625 yards for his career.

Man, I've been trying to find what year the Bell was thrown in the river! There are a lot of resources that mention the incident, but I haven't found one that says what year it happened! There are a couple other guys on here who might know, or know who to ask...