The Smoakhouse Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BlahBlah

FORMER NFL MIAMI COACH DON SHULA PASSES AT 90

One of the last of his era. R.I.P Coach Shula

I always thought he was a good guy, but I think he was more over rated than Coach Landry.  I remember when I was in Birmingham that he would visit his restaurant there frequently and talk to guests.  The old guard is fading away.  

14 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

I always thought he was a good guy, but I think he was more over rated than Coach Landry.  I remember when I was in Birmingham that he would visit his restaurant there frequently and talk to guests.  The old guard is fading away.  

As a lifelong Dolphin fan, I can concede that he probably stayed too long past his prime. But since he left Miami, they haven't done anything of note, they haven't even managed to be somewhat decent. Just a perennial bottom-dweller. So who's to say he stayed too long? It could be that, like Dan Marino, he gave a middling franchise the luster they lacked otherwise. 

But all that aside, he was a great man, and one of the foundational characters in establishing and sustaining the NFL.

You don't have to be a Dolphin fan to be a fan of Don Shula.

Here's a great feature on him, and his contribution: 

• Like 1

He was a solid "old school" NFL coach .... R.I.P.  .....

9 hours ago, LOL said:

As a lifelong Dolphin fan, I can concede that he probably stayed too long past his prime. But since he left Miami, they haven't done anything of note, they haven't even managed to be somewhat decent. Just a perennial bottom-dweller. So who's to say he stayed too long? It could be that, like Dan Marino, he gave a middling franchise the luster they lacked otherwise. 

But all that aside, he was a great man, and one of the foundational characters in establishing and sustaining the NFL.

You don't have to be a Dolphin fan to be a fan of Don Shula.

Here's a great feature on him, and his contribution: 

What's odd is Jimmy Johnson replaced both Coach Landry and Coach Shula, but couldn't get things going.  I didn't even know until today that the Houston Oilers ripped off the Dolphins with their fight song :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx6qOodbWLk

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

What's odd is Jimmy Johnson replaced both Coach Landry and Coach Shula, but couldn't get things going

I blame meddling 'Phins ownership, combined with Johnson and Marino butting heads over the direction of the offense.