The Smoakhouse Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dillonpanthers

Spring Hill is open

12 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

Will SH remove the interim tag and hire Griffis?

I think yes.  Word on the street is Guidry was #### when JL told him last week he was applying for the GW job.  Guidry proceeded to force JL’s hand - stay and finish what you started or resign and take your chances on the GW job.  Kudos to Guidry for having the guts to force his hand

SH will remove the interim tag and promote Griffis.  SH is looking for long term stability in the athletic program and to build off of the football success from 2019.  Griffis is a key component to keeping the young coaching staff intact that will make both happen.

I wonder what's going to happen to a couple of coaches that have already cleaned out their lockers at other schools because JL offered them a position at SH. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

I think yes.  Word on the street is Guidry was #### when JL told him last week he was applying for the GW job.  Guidry proceeded to force JL’s hand - stay and finish what you started or resign and take your chances on the GW job.  Kudos to Guidry for having the guts to force his hand

SH will remove the interim tag and promote Griffis.  SH is looking for long term stability in the athletic program and to build off of the football success from 2019.  Griffis is a key component to keeping the young coaching staff intact that will make both happen.

In my opinion, this is a very unprofessional decision by Guidry.  If JL had already signed a contract for next year or had a year left on his current contract then he can resign at anytime without penalty as long as it's not within 45 days of the start of school.  It's professional courtesy to inform your supt if you are applying for another job but it's not mandatory.  If JL gave Guidry this courtesy then in my opinion, Guidry should have give JL the same professional courtesy of not squeezing him to resign before accepting a job.  If Guidry wants to play the game that way, he can expect some surprise resignations in the future.

So, if Guidry ever decides to leave SH, should SH treat him like he did JL?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, intheknow said:

In my opinion, this is a very unprofessional decision by Guidry.  If JL had already signed a contract for next year or had a year left on his current contract then he can resign at anytime without penalty as long as it's not within 45 days of the start of school.  It's professional courtesy to inform your supt if you are applying for another job but it's not mandatory.  If JL gave Guidry this courtesy then in my opinion, Guidry should have give JL the same professional courtesy of not squeezing him to resign before accepting a job.  If Guidry wants to play the game that way, he can expect some surprise resignations in the future.

So, if Guidry ever decides to leave SH, should SH treat him like he did JL?

As your name implies, you likely know more than I do regarding the traditional practices in the coaching/administration world.  I don’t have an education background.  Your comments are strong assuming the “word on the street” is true.  What if it’s not?  What if JL resigned on his own because he is confident he will get the HC role in GW?

1 hour ago, FootballETX95 said:

I wonder what's going to happen to a couple of coaches that have already cleaned out their lockers at other schools because JL offered them a position at SH. 

If Griffis gets it I'd imagine it will still work out fine. Where were they leaving?

47 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

If Griffis gets it I'd imagine it will still work out fine. Where were they leaving?

One for sure is from Sabine's staff, which is going to be greatly missed, per a parent/player. As I understand it, the players looked up to him. The other I won't comment on until I know for sure he's actually leaving or is it rumortel.

1 hour ago, FootballETX95 said:

One for sure is from Sabine's staff, which is going to be greatly missed, per a parent/player. As I understand it, the players looked up to him. The other I won't comment on until I know for sure he's actually leaving or is it rumortel.

He will be missed if he indeed still leaves.

From Longview News Journal article.  Note bold text as a hint to future announcement.

......Guidry said Louvier was able to add quality coaches to the staff and build a strong continuity. He indicated the school would first interview internally before deciding whether or not to go outside in search of a replacement to the vacated posts.

The job was posted Friday, May 8 and has to remain posted two weeks. That means a decision could be forthcoming Friday, May 22.

We have some phenomenal coaches on our coaching staff. Our number one priority right now is to keep the great coaches we have and not go back to square one,” said Guidry. “We’re asking the question of what’s best for kids and what’s best for programs. A lot of times we don’t ask that question. That’s where we’re starting.”

Guidry said a decision hasn’t been made as to whether or not the football coach and athletic director would be a split role.

Spring Hill needs to take a look at these great coaches we already have that are involved in our program. We can move forward with that. We’re not going to miss a beat,” said Guidry. “It’s been really neat to watch our crew of coaches come together. As devastating as it is to lose Jonny, our coaches are really stepping up and making sure we move forward and continue what we started last year.”

• Like 1

Seems like he’s wanted to stay in house. 

17 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Seems like he’s wanted to stay in house. 

It was subtle, but that’s what I read too.  😂

Ten days ends this Fri in SH.  What will Guidry & the Board do?  Promote Griffis & keep the current staff in place or go outside and risk high turnover?

13 minutes ago, LOL said:

The former seems more likely than the latter.

Unless the Supt. has some rock star AD/HC he's buddy-buddy with, I'll be shocked if SH goes outside. 

Also the smartest move unless you had a Insert highly recommended guy like a King Surratt type guy giving your school at verbal heads up. Spring Hill has the right guy on the staff.

• Like 1

Griffis should be Head Coach.

Also hire a separate Athletic Director.

12 minutes ago, Acewell said:

Griffis should be Head Coach.

Also hire a separate Athletic Director.

I don’t think Guidry can justify the additional cost of the new position given the likely changes SHISD and all districts will have to make for the fall to bring students back to the campus.  They will need the dollars in other places.

• Like 1

No brainer. I’d also like to think this would be same result if JL left two months ago. 

• Like 1

Friendly reminder that nothings set in stone? I mean GW once removed interim tag on someone.