Next OC at Daingerfield

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, EastTxFinest said:

Maybe he's there to help the mess. I hope he brings the spread offense with him. I'm assuming that's what Carthage ran. Haven't seen them since 2010

Not spread.  More Pro style.  Multiple formations, motion, etc.  You can see anything from double TE with a full house backfield to empty backfield and 5 wide.  Goal is to find the mismatch and exploit it.  Same play could be run out of 5-6 formations to see how the Defense responds. 

I would not expect DF to grasp the depth of the entire Carthage offense by August, assuming that’s what he attempts to install.  Probably just the basics and will add 4-5 plays every week during the season.  What is the QB situation in D-field?  His grasp of the offense early on will be key.

26 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

I would not expect DF to grasp the depth of the entire Carthage offense by August, assuming that’s what he attempts to install.  Probably just the basics and will add 4-5 plays every week during the season.  What is the QB situation in D-field?  His grasp of the offense early on will be key.

I agree. I wouldn’t expect him to be able to install the full Carthage offense. Seems like it takes Surratt 10 weeks to get the offense fully installed. And the kids in Carthage are learning from a young age. I would expect Coach Horsely to take the part of the offense he knows the best and install a little bit at a time. But I would guess he will run multiple formations, just not to the same extent as Carthage. 

But I also think it depends on what the HC wants to do. How much he will let his OC control. I’m very interested to see. I will be following the Tigers closely. 

2 hours ago, EastTxFinest said:

Maybe he's there to help the mess. I hope he brings the spread offense with him. I'm assuming that's what Carthage ran. Haven't seen them since 2010

DF runs the spread now lol

2 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Not spread.  More Pro style.  Multiple formations, motion, etc.  You can see anything from double TE with a full house backfield to empty backfield and 5 wide.  Goal is to find the mismatch and exploit it.  Same play could be run out of 5-6 formations to see how the Defense responds. 

Similar to the 90s style offenses.  You have the same 20-30 plays out of every formation so people can't catch on to tendencies from plays that are only run out of lets say "quads (pick a side).   

Does DF have a good TE? TE is important in Surratt’s offense, and Carthage always has a good one. Actually run a lot of 12 and 21 personnel with 2 TE or a TE and a FB. Run a lot of max protection stuff in the passing game from these sets, and obviously those sets are when Carthage is most successful running the ball. They run their fair share of shotgun with 4 or 5 guys lined out wide, but another big part of the offense is under center in 12 or 21 personnel. A couple of TE and a FB are going to be key. Coach Horsely being a RB coach, I’m sure he is going to want to run the ball. I think they will do it from under center.

• 2 months later...

Gary Lewis, Darryl(sp?) Lewis, John Rodgers, & I had their name earlier but can't remember it now.  That's not including Parade All-American Steve Stutsman that imo Baylor hurt.  I'll also throw in Steve Edmond.  I know he was heralded as a Linebacker but I thought his best position was TE.  I truly believe he would still be playing.