The Smoakhouse Forums
villagegenius

Who is the next Carthage?

Just looking for some football discussion. Who is that 1 team who is the right hire away from becoming a perennial title contender but hasn’t ever really broken through?

Carthage was always talented.  Very rarely “bad”.  But just never consistently put it all together. Then Surratt gets hired and it’s been a level that is arguably near the top of the entire state since. 

So, in your opinion, which schools could be the “next” Carthage.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RonSwanson said:

Only next Carthage that I see is the Carthage JV. Lol

Probably they don’t lose either.

It is tough to do what Carthage has done and sustain it at the 3A and 4A level.  The one thing they’ve been able to do that most can’t is hold on to their coach . Gilmer was as close as it comes and they eventually lost Traylor. They are still a good program but he made them elite. There may be several schools that are one hire away from serious success but it would be hard to say any program can duplicate the same success Carthage has over such a long period of time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GWBears01 said:

It is tough to do what Carthage has done and sustain it at the 3A and 4A level.  The one thing they’ve been able to do that most can’t is hold on to their coach . Gilmer was as close as it comes and they eventually lost Traylor. They are still a good program but he made them elite. There may be several schools that are one hire away from serious success but it would be hard to say any program can duplicate the same success Carthage has over such a long period of time. 

Agree

Henderson and Kilgore have the potential that Carthage does they have the same type kids.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GWBears01 said:

Very well said.

6 hours ago, BuckNut said:

Henderson and Kilgore have the potential that Carthage does they have the same type kids.

hard for either to be elite when both refuse to play teams like carthage when they don't have to.  

the community of henderson should be embarrassed by their coach and his NOT wanting to keep an awesome rivalry going.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, BuckNut said:

They have moved my man.

Can anyone read anything in to that?

• Like 1

In 3a div 1 Atlanta, Commerce, and Gladewater come to mind in Div 2 Pewitt, Arp, EF, Daingerfield and Hughes Springs come to mind.  

7 hours ago, BuckNut said:

In 3a div 1 Atlanta, Commerce, and Gladewater come to mind in Div 2 Pewitt, Arp, EF, Daingerfield and Hughes Springs come to mind.  

In D2 I wouldn’t count out West Rusk. They have some serious talent coming. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GWBears01 said:

In D2 I wouldn’t count out West Rusk. They have some serious talent coming. 

Contenders definitely. I wouldn’t go as far as the next Carthage. That feat is extremely difficult to duplicate. Only a handful of teams that have a Surratt type in Charge. 

10 hours ago, BuckNut said:

0280A1E1-7B16-438F-8AF5-9EB156D16880.jpeg

Out of every team in Texas Carthage has to be the biggest favorite for a state title right?

7 minutes ago, Aledo said:

Out of every team in Texas Carthage has to be the biggest favorite for a state title right?

I wouldn’t say that.  PG has a lot of firepower returning.

2 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

I wouldn’t say that.  PG has a lot of firepower returning.

They didnt just win a title and drop down a division did they?

6 minutes ago, Aledo said:

They didnt just win a title and drop down a division did they?

Nope but do you really think that matters? PG has the dude’s to play with Carthage.  If we are lucky we will get to see that matchup twice this year.

45 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Contenders definitely. I wouldn’t go as far as the next Carthage. That feat is extremely difficult to duplicate. Only a handful of teams that have a Surratt type in Charge. 

There probably isn’t a next Carthage. What they are doing is unprecedented in the lower classifications. 

31 minutes ago, Aledo said:

I would say so. Not many can compete nor are they as dominant. 

1 minute ago, GWBears01 said:

There probably isn’t a next Carthage. What they are doing is unprecedented in the lower classifications. 

Agree Surratt . Winning one is difficult enough. Winning 7 my goodness and counting.

6 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

I would say so. Not many can compete nor are they as dominant. 

The only other team that I would consider up there as being a huge favorite with Carthage is Mart. 

6 minutes ago, Aledo said:

The only other team that I would consider up there as being a huge favorite with Carthage is Mart. 

Totally agree small school domination. On one level you have less kids to work with. The other is competition is less. Great coaching and one or two absolute studs could win you a championship. The bigger the harder it is. That is solely my opinion and not knocking smaller schools at all. Winning a title at any level is not easy. 

• Like 1