Who is the next Carthage?

There isn't a next Carthage until you get a school that has consistency and sustained success... and it would be very very hard to have the same level (State Championships) of sustained success that Carthage has had.  

Looking in East Texas, the only comparable school is Longview right now.  While we aren't seeing the titles, the winning has been in and maintained there far longer than we have seen in Carthage... just without the championships.

Before Longview, I believe there was a nice 8-10 year run in Elysian Fields.   

The fact is, if you look across the entire state in all divisions, Carthage, Aledo, and ??Highland Park??  have had anywhere close to the run Carthage has been on with Surratt.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HJR7 said:

They definitely have a chance, have the athletes.  But coaching makes the difference just my opinion though.

Kilgore has always had the athletes. And was known for having a lot of success under Mike Vallery. He dominated Carthage, haha. Think if he was the HC at Kilgore playing in the new 4a. All of his success was at the 2nd highest level in the old 4a. Even had a 16-0 season in 2004, which was extremely difficult at the time. 

2 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

There isn't a next Carthage until you get a school that has consistency and sustained success... and it would be very very hard to have the same level (State Championships) of sustained success that Carthage has had.  

Looking in East Texas, the only comparable school is Longview right now.  While we aren't seeing the titles, the winning has been in and maintained there far longer than we have seen in Carthage... just without the championships.

The fact is, if you look across the entire state in all divisions, Carthage, Aledo, and ??Highland Park??  have had anywhere close to the run Carthage has been on with Surratt.

Gilmer had a hell of a run from 2004 to 2016. About the same as Longview, but with a couple more titles. But Longview playing most of that time at the highest level definitely plays a part. If Longview had spent more time in he new 5a (old 4a) I think you would see for sure a couple more titles. But like I said in another post. When you talk about Carthage, Gilmer, and Longview; you talk about 3 HOF coaches. It all comes down to who has the right guy at the right time.

1 minute ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Gilmer had a hell of a run from 2004 to 2016. About the same as Longview, but with a couple more titles. But Longview playing most of that time at the highest level definitely plays a part. If Longview had spent more time in he new 5a (old 4a) I think you would see for sure a couple more titles. But like I said in another post. When you talk about Carthage, Gilmer, and Longview; you talk about 3 HOF coaches. It all comes down to who has the right guy at the right time.

The hardest thing for 4A schools is to keep their coaching staff/tree in place.  Even paying $100k a year for AD/HFC, the competitive drive in coaches always tell them "I can do this at the next level and the next and the next."  The fact that Carthage has kept Surratt this long and Longview with King is worthy of a standing ovation...  Are there any other schools in the area that have had the same HC for more than 10 years?

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

The hardest thing for 4A schools is to keep their coaching staff/tree in place.  Even paying $100k a year for AD/HFC, the competitive drive in coaches always tell them "I can do this at the next level and the next and the next."  The fact that Carthage has kept Surratt this long and Longview with King is worthy of a standing ovation...  Are there any other schools in the area that have had the same HC for more than 10 years?

You are 100% correct. But both schools have paid their coach very well, and the administration has stayed out of the way. Atleast that’s the case in Carthage.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

https://twitter.com/deaundreybowman/status/1265307832133586945?s=21

36 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Kilgore has always had the athletes. And was known for having a lot of success under Mike Vallery. He dominated Carthage, haha. Think if he was the HC at Kilgore playing in the new 4a. All of his success was at the 2nd highest level in the old 4a. Even had a 16-0 season in 2004, which was extremely difficult at the time. 

Kilgore used to kick our tails, dang it!

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 7:13 PM, DawgNation2015 said:

Nope but do you really think that matters? PG has the dude’s to play with Carthage.  If we are lucky we will get to see that matchup twice this year.

In yalls neck of the woods this year most likely...

Silsbee vs Pleasant Grove

9/18 (Week 4)

TBA

On 6/17/2020 at 11:07 PM, silsbee92 said:

In yalls neck of the woods this year most likely...

Silsbee vs Pleasant Grove

9/18 (Week 4)

TBA

If you’re gonna come up here and play you better have your big boy britches on!

• LOL! 1

On 5/15/2020 at 7:56 AM, GWBears01 said:

It is tough to do what Carthage has done and sustain it at the 3A and 4A level.  The one thing they’ve been able to do that most can’t is hold on to their coach . Gilmer was as close as it comes and they eventually lost Traylor. They are still a good program but he made them elite. There may be several schools that are one hire away from serious success but it would be hard to say any program can duplicate the same success Carthage has over such a long period of time. 

I agree, it's all comes down to coaching, Carthage has always had great athletes, they struck gold with a coach that was able to put that program together. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

🤷‍♂️ They will probably request running clock vs PG this year for different reasons.  They may not score.

Oh Silsbee will not score on that D.   Remember supposedly a pretty good Silsbee team got rolled by SH @ Silsbee.   Ouch

On 5/16/2020 at 5:39 PM, BuckNut said:

Agree with you on West Rusk as long as they stay d2.

This comment disqualifies West Rusk IMO. Carthage had success in both. At one point I thought Chapel Hill may have been onto something.

Carthage can NEVER be replicated. I'm honestly not sure Surratt is the best coach in East Tx, but i am sure he's the smartest. Name ONE coach in the state who can start 1-4 or 1-3 and the fans not panic at all? Just name one.

Back in 2010 Surratt bet on himself and as a result, he's able to take his time during the season and move pieces around without threats of being ran out of town. No other coach in the state has that luxury. Heck WO-S fans were ready to run their coach out of town because he was not undefeated.The 2010 dawgs could have easily gone 10-0 tthat season but probably would have lost to Brownwood. Although fans would have been happy only losing one game, he would have been forced into the loop of having to win at the cost of a state title run each season. As a hs varsity coach myself, the autonomy to coach as you please is hard to come by and he's gained that in Carthage.

JMO, but the fact that he has everyone in the town on the same page on the process is stellar. This is the equivalent of a principal letting a teacher teach the way they want and trusting that they will come through during the STAAR,

• Thanks 1