Who is the next Carthage?

38 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

Carthage can NEVER be replicated. I'm honestly not sure Surratt is the best coach in East Tx, but i am sure he's the smartest. Name ONE coach in the state who can start 1-4 or 1-3 and the fans not panic at all? Just name one.

Back in 2010 Surratt bet on himself and as a result, he's able to take his time during the season and move pieces around without threats of being ran out of town. No other coach in the state has that luxury. Heck WO-S fans were ready to run their coach out of town because he was not undefeated.The 2010 dawgs could have easily gone 10-0 tthat season but probably would have lost to Brownwood. Although fans would have been happy only losing one game, he would have been forced into the loop of having to win at the cost of a state title run each season. As a hs varsity coach myself, the autonomy to coach as you please is hard to come by and he's gained that in Carthage.

JMO, but the fact that he has everyone in the town on the same page on the process is stellar. This is the equivalent of a principal letting a teacher teach the way they want and trusting that they will come through during the STAAR,

I agree with everything you said in your post other than the part about not being sure he is the best coach in East Texas.

I have no hesitation in stating I think he is the best, and not just in East Texas.

56 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I agree with everything you said in your post other than the part about not being sure he is the best coach in East Texas.

I have no hesitation in stating I think he is the best, and not just in East Texas.

I think given the freedom he has, it gives him a leg up. I think I worded it wrong. He is a master in giving himself the best work environment in the state. I think that skill is very underrated and I don't see why other coaches haven't figured this out 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

I think given the freedom he has, it gives him a leg up. I think I worded it wrong. He is a master in giving himself the best work environment in the state. I think that skill is very underrated and I don't see why other coaches haven't figured this out 

I think Gibson in PG has figured it out.  Quietly building another dynasty.  Lots of similarities between the two.

22 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

I think Gibson in PG has figured it out.  Quietly building another dynasty.  Lots of similarities between the two.

He definitely seems to have it down. Harder to keep it up in a multi school town. But if he can, it will be hard to stop. 

6 hours ago, dillonpanthers said:

No question. I meant he has to keep winning to keep the players transferring in. 

Agree.  He also has a unique offensive scheme.  Like Carthage it forces the opposing DC to prepare for a lot of variation.  Though it is run heavy at times can be very balanced when needed.

Surratt is absolutely a great coach but the thing that really makes him different is that he has chosen to stay.  So far, Gibson has chosen to do that and you can see the results.  Most great coaches choose to go on to bigger schools or to colleges.  I think there are a lot of really good coaches out there but most are going to keep moving.

what are the programs that we would consider a dynasty and have remained that way through coaching changes?

10 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

2 hours ago, Hawk20 said:

Surratt is absolutely a great coach but the thing that really makes him different is that he has chosen to stay.  So far, Gibson has chosen to do that and you can see the results.  Most great coaches choose to go on to bigger schools or to colleges.  I think there are a lot of really good coaches out there but most are going to keep moving.

what are the programs that we would consider a dynasty and have remained that way through coaching changes?

The only one that really comes to mind is Lavega. Unfortunately for PG, I think once you guys win a couple of more titles, your coach will be gone. I think Carthage may go down after Surratt leaves. Whether the new coach is on staff or not. Don't see him having the amount of autonomy Surratt does.

Just now, ctown81 said:

The only one that really comes to mind is Lavega. Unfortunately for PG, I think once you guys win a couple of more titles, your coach will be gone. I think Carthage may go down after Surratt leaves. Whether the new coach is on staff or not. Don't see him having the amount of autonomy Surratt does.

I think we have Gibson until his son graduates.  His son will be a freshman this year.  After that.....I think he will try college for a little while.  No inside info, just my thoughts

1 minute ago, Hawk20 said:

I think we have Gibson until his son graduates.  His son will be a freshman this year.  After that.....I think he will try college for a little while.  No inside info, just my thoughts

Yeah he'll definitely get one or two more then. Hate to say it, but he's due for a victory against Carthage at some point and I'm not talking about a down year for Carthage either. Got lucky the first time and outright beat you last.

Just now, ctown81 said:

Yeah he'll definitely get one or two more then. Hate to say it, but he's due for a victory against Carthage at some point and I'm not talking about a down year for Carthage either. Got lucky the first time and outright beat you last.

2018 - we should have won that year.  we shot our self in the foot.  I'm not saying we dominated or anything thing like that, but we were standing at the door  and just had to finish.  Once we made the unforced fumble I knew it was over. 

2019 - we played a good game and stayed with you guys til the 4th quarter.  Our D ran out of gas and the last quarter got ugly. 

This year will be interesting (if there is one) because there are plenty of unanswered questions for both teams.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ctown81 said:

Carthage can NEVER be replicated. I'm honestly not sure Surratt is the best coach in East Tx, but i am sure he's the smartest. Name ONE coach in the state who can start 1-4 or 1-3 and the fans not panic at all? Just name one.

Back in 2010 Surratt bet on himself and as a result, he's able to take his time during the season and move pieces around without threats of being ran out of town. No other coach in the state has that luxury. Heck WO-S fans were ready to run their coach out of town because he was not undefeated.The 2010 dawgs could have easily gone 10-0 tthat season but probably would have lost to Brownwood. Although fans would have been happy only losing one game, he would have been forced into the loop of having to win at the cost of a state title run each season. As a hs varsity coach myself, the autonomy to coach as you please is hard to come by and he's gained that in Carthage.

JMO, but the fact that he has everyone in the town on the same page on the process is stellar. This is the equivalent of a principal letting a teacher teach the way they want and trusting that they will come through during the STAAR,

Carthage is now what Celina was from 1995-2008. And oddly enough — perhaps only fitting — it was Carthage who really closed out the final chapter of the Bobcats' most dominating era. So, it's hard to say Carthage can't be replicated. They are essentially a replication of someone else, themselves.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Aledo said:

If you want to look up txhsfb season records and things along those lines I'd recommend the texas football history site. And next time you want someone to look stuff up for you at least say please. Aledo 8 titles in 11 seasons.

That's crazy impressive! And played in another against Calallen correct?

10 hours ago, Aledo said:

If you want to look up txhsfb season records and things along those lines I'd recommend the texas football history site. And next time you want someone to look stuff up for you at least say please. Aledo 8 titles in 11 seasons.

Haha.   Please and thank you for the info.   VERY impressive to say the least.   I was in a hurry this morning and didn’t get a chance to look up.   You saved me some time and I appreciate it.