What Would A 5 Year Dak Deal Look Like?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-a-five-year-deal-dak-prescott-should-consider-even-if-the-cowboys-qb-wants-to-go-shorter/

5 years at $38m per year with between $100m and $130m guaranteed. If you like long, detailed, behind the scenes nitty gritty stories then this is for you. Former agent gives a lot of details about how Dak’s deal could turn out. 

The article basically in a nut shell.

Reasons Dak doesn’t want 5 year deal:

Salary cap increase due to new TV deals with the 17th game being added

7 QBs make more than $30m per season. Only one (Matt Ryan) has a deal longer than 4 years.

Dak’s salary cap hit with franchise tag

If Dallas tags Dak in 2020 & 2021, Dak will make $69.1m.

Dak’s signing bonus

$55m

Dak clauses

no franchise tag or transition tag on 3rd contract

Possible voiding of last year of deal if team wins Super Bowl or he wins MVP

Right now I wouldn't be signing anyone to any long term contract.  We don't know if the season will even begin.  Many businesses are losing millions a day, and they won't have the money to advertise at the high rates that television will demand for commercials.  I'm wondering if the salary cap will come down for the first time in a very long time if ever.  I can't find that it ever has come down.  I do know that it is $20 million less this year than projected.   What if the salary cap is lowered to $100 million, and you have one player making 30-40% of the salary, there won't be any money for even scrubs to fill out a roster.  Owners are going to have to look at the long term effects of the economic turn down.

We're already seeing major business going out of business, and others having a tough time.  Unless, the economy rebounds this is going to affect all sports, especially if they go with no fans in the stands.  Whoever thought it was a great idea to shut down the economy was a moron.  I know President Trump was somewhat forced into doing so, but he left the actions up to the states.  This is going to do a lot of damage financially.  Can we recover ?  Yes, but businesses need to get back on their feet again.  This will affect salaries in every league, and some may fold like Pro Soccer and the WNBA among many others.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Stoney said:

The article basically in a nut shell.

Reasons Dak doesn’t want 5 year deal:

Salary cap increase due to new TV deals with the 17th game being added

7 QBs make more than $30m per season. Only one (Matt Ryan) has a deal longer than 4 years.

Dak’s salary cap hit with franchise tag

If Dallas tags Dak in 2020 & 2021, Dak will make $69.1m.

Dak’s signing bonus

$55m

Dak clauses

no franchise tag or transition tag on 3rd contract

Possible voiding of last year of deal if team wins Super Bowl or he wins MVP

Dak wants 4 years for 1 reason and 1 reason only.  The 2021-22 contracts.  Those guys will be Watson and Mahomes who will make $40-45m...  if that happens then Dak's worth will jump from $32-35m to 35-40m.   He will also be in his 8th or 9th year with a 5 year contract...  That's when MOST QBs start to decline in health.  With a 4 year we are still talking Dak in a timeframe in age where QBs get another large contract.  

Both sides have good reasons to argue over this 1 year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Dak wants 4 years for 1 reason and 1 reason only.  The 2021-22 contracts.  Those guys will be Watson and Mahomes who will make $40-45m...  if that happens then Dak's worth will jump from $32-35m to 35-40m.   He will also be in his 8th or 9th year with a 5 year contract...  That's when MOST QBs start to decline in health.  With a 4 year we are still talking Dak in a timeframe in age where QBs get another large contract.  

Both sides have good reasons to argue over this 1 year.

Only if it's one year, we can't project the devastation yet economically in regards to the virus and how it will affect businesses.  

Dallas needs to move quick. DeShaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes are both getting extentions soon. They are only going to push the price tag up. Mahomes will be in his own stratosphere apart from the other two, but it will still push the sticker price up. 

The talk in Houston is that O'Brien wants to make Watson the highest paid until the Mahomes deal goes through. Definitely puts Houston and Dallas in an interesting race to get deals done. Franchises want to hurry, players want to wait and see...

3 hours ago, topher805 said:

Dallas needs to move quick. DeShaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes are both getting extentions soon. They are only going to push the price tag up. Mahomes will be in his own stratosphere apart from the other two, but it will still push the sticker price up. 

The talk in Houston is that O'Brien wants to make Watson the highest paid until the Mahomes deal goes through. Definitely puts Houston and Dallas in an interesting race to get deals done. Franchises want to hurry, players want to wait and see...

The sad deal about this whole Dak contract mess? Dallas could have signed him to a cheaper deal before last year but Stephen didn’t. Same as they did with Tank Lawrence. They wound up setting the market with Tanks deal, same as they will with Dak’s. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stoney said:

The sad deal about this whole Dak contract mess? Dallas could have shined him to a cheaper deal before last year but Stephen didn’t. Same as they did with Tank Lawrence. They wound up setting the market with Tanks deal, same as they will with Dak’s. 

Jerruh ain't gonna over pay for Prescott, wait and see .... he will play Dalton before he pays Watson or Mahomes type $$$$ .....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Jerruh ain't gonna over pay for Prescott, wait and see .... he will play Dalton before he pays Watson or Mahomes type $$$$ .....

I wish the Cowboys could sign Mahomes.  He's a local kid, but he could have built some loyalty for K.C..  I know that if I had the talent there would only be one NFL team I would sign with, and it wouldn't even have to be top $ to play for Dallas if I had Mahomes talent.  

• 1 month later...