Marshall ISD approves covered practice facility; turf for baseball and softball

Mavchamp

MISD approved a 120 yard covered all purpose practice facility.   Will be able to facilitate covered provides for fort all, soccer, baseball, softball, marching band, ROTC, drill team, etc   Roof will be 60 foot tall  

Turf for Lady Mav softball

Turf for Mav baseball  

Huge.  Huge. Huge.

This is coming on the tails of nearly 600K renovation of Mav gym that’s about to get underway. 

New turf has just been completed at Maverick Stadium.   Restroom renovations at the stadium are about to be underway.   New stadium lights were installed last fall along with a new track.  New pressbox was opened in 2018. Video Scoreboard.

Tennis courts were refinished last year. 

All this done without a bond or raising taxes. Dr Gibson, Coach Griedl, and the school board have taken us from the dark ages to cutting edge with our athletic facilities in just 2 short years. 

Cant wait to see the gym.  

Long Long overdue.  So excited for the programs.  

038989A5-7357-4CDF-AB8D-C26142BAC244.jpeg

DADCB8FE-6E69-499C-A4E8-2D2AC6922A54.jpeg

893FCB22-8B63-4352-8610-3CD18B4216DF.jpeg

8087D3CA-86DD-417C-94D6-3C1422F292C2.jpeg

8AFECEB9-7575-4A20-A68D-E21AE43150FD.jpeg

C26CA48B-7A98-46CD-A6BD-8F15461D9CF6.jpeg

EF4FA994-30E1-4421-B349-486BC8452424.jpeg

9727CCC2-D696-436E-AEE6-B677F4FADD2A.jpeg

E8D0E873-E372-460B-976D-0561B43BB1E9.jpeg

99EF2A7F-1EE2-454D-96E6-2ED14241DB12.jpeg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DeBerryJacket said:

NICE! How do you like the black background color in the end zones?

Wasn’t sure I’d like it when I heard about it.  But seeing it is awesome. 

We have had red endzones the last 2 installations and in both it faded and look terrible.  Don’t think the black will do that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, txk85 said:

congrats! the covered facility is very similar to whats at UAB, figure that a little more cost effective than a fully enclosed.

I actually prefer this.  Should help with conditioning for game day temps  

You don’t miss practice because of rain. But you still practice in the heat when it’s hot and in the cold when it’s cold.   Just like the games will be played.

jMHO. 

40 minutes ago, Cowboyz4life said:

where will the covered facility be located on campus?

My guess is one of the practice fields in front of the field house (behind the home side of the stadium). 

On 5/19/2020 at 9:30 AM, dillonpanthers said:

Very nice! I think we discussed a long time ago but can't remember.  Can you use the covered indoor in a lightning storm? 

No you have to be completely indoors so legally they couldn't use it during lightning. 

On 5/18/2020 at 7:08 PM, Mavchamp said:

MISD approved a 120 yard covered all purpose practice facility.   Will be able to facilitate covered provides for fort all, soccer, baseball, softball, marching band, ROTC, drill team, etc   Roof will be 60 foot tall  

Turf for Lady Mav softball

Turf for Mav baseball  

Huge.  Huge. Huge.

This is coming on the tails of nearly 600K renovation of Mav gym that’s about to get underway. 

New turf has just been completed at Maverick Stadium.   Restroom renovations at the stadium are about to be underway.   New stadium lights were installed last fall along with a new track.  New pressbox was opened in 2018. Video Scoreboard.

Tennis courts were refinished last year. 

All this done without a bond or raising taxes. Dr Gibson, Coach Griedl, and the school board have taken us from the dark ages to cutting edge with our athletic facilities in just 2 short years. 

Cant wait to see the gym.  

Long Long overdue.  So excited for the programs.  

038989A5-7357-4CDF-AB8D-C26142BAC244.jpeg

DADCB8FE-6E69-499C-A4E8-2D2AC6922A54.jpeg

893FCB22-8B63-4352-8610-3CD18B4216DF.jpeg

8087D3CA-86DD-417C-94D6-3C1422F292C2.jpeg

8AFECEB9-7575-4A20-A68D-E21AE43150FD.jpeg

C26CA48B-7A98-46CD-A6BD-8F15461D9CF6.jpeg

EF4FA994-30E1-4421-B349-486BC8452424.jpeg

9727CCC2-D696-436E-AEE6-B677F4FADD2A.jpeg

E8D0E873-E372-460B-976D-0561B43BB1E9.jpeg

99EF2A7F-1EE2-454D-96E6-2ED14241DB12.jpeg

I was thinking that a covered facility is probably better than an indoor.  I’ve been in about 8 different indoor facilities and they  control the climate in them with industrial fans.  Even on a clear 70 degree day, it’s about 85-90 degrees inside those things.  Covered you get a shaded covered practice you don’t have to worry about climate control and you still get the feel of playing “outdoors”

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

I was thinking that a covered facility is probably better than an indoor.  I’ve been in about 8 different indoor facilities and they  control the climate in them with industrial fans.  Even on a clear 70 degree day, it’s about 85-90 degrees inside those things.  Covered you get a shaded covered practice you don’t have to worry about climate control and you still get the feel of playing “outdoors”

It definitely gets hot in the indoor. The only issue for me would be still not getting to practice in the covered facility during a storm. Probably effects spring sports the most. 

On 5/22/2020 at 10:51 AM, dillonpanthers said:

It definitely gets hot in the indoor. The only issue for me would be still not getting to practice in the covered facility during a storm. Probably effects spring sports the most. 

Good questions.....

I would think those pavilions would be grounded and safe.  But I know nothing about building codes and engineering.

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Good questions.....

I would think those pavilions would be grounded and safe.  But I know nothing about building codes and engineering.

Let us know if you hear for sure. If they can use it during a storm, a lot of districts will look into this. If you can't l, we'll, it's still cool. But not as good of an investment imo.

Wonder how long it takes before somebody whines about it. 
I think all of this is GREAT for Marshall athletics, but also the entire Marshall community.

When Carthage built its stadium and really when we put in the Jumbotron people came out of the wood works griping about how much it cost. I’m not talking about just in East Texas or Texas, the Wall Street Journal wrote an article about it. You should’ve seen the posts in the comments section of people from across the country dragging CISD and the backwoods hicks of Carthage across the coals over spending money on athletics. Then Surratt gets a raise a few years ago and folks lose their minds again.

Last summer when the renovations to the field house were posted on Twitter..... it blew up with comments from people from all over the country.  

Comments about how the science labs were probably crappy and the schools were in bad shape while the athletics were getting money.

I took great joy in clarifying them to know that every student in MISD K-8 is in a brand new state of the art campus and that MHS was in the midst of a multi-million dollar renovation for education only (15 Million and counting). 

But tbh.... it’s none of their business.  

MISD fell woefully behind in school and athletic facilities.  But the school board, the tax payers, and the Supt have propelled us back to where we need to be and beyond in facilities. Long overdue. 

Anyone that doesn’t like it can shove it to be completely candid. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Last summer when the renovations to the field house were posted on Twitter..... it blew up with comments from people from all over the country.  

Comments about how the science labs were probably crappy and the schools were in bad shape while the athletics were getting money.

I took great joy in clarifying them to know that every student in MISD K-8 is in a brand new state of the art campus and that MHS was in the midst of a multi-million dollar renovation for education only (15 Million and counting). 

MISD fell woefully behind in school and athletic facilities.  But the school board, the tax payers, and the Supt have propelled us back to where we need to be and beyond in facilities. Long overdue. 

ANd you didn't even mention the best thing Marshall ISD has ever done...  replace that dreaded, pest infested Jr High.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I’m amazed by how uneducated people are on bonds and stuff like that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eagleborn said:

I’m amazed by how uneducated people are on bonds and stuff like that. 

Trouble passing bonds almost exclusively seems to be a problem in East Texas. 

Is it a coincidence that ETx lags behind the rest of the state in growth?    I think not. 

It took Pine Tree several tries to pass their bond (was it three or four?). Took White Oak like 3 times. Gilmer 3-4 times. Nac a couple of times. 

It’s ridiculous. 

I have my hypotheses on why bonds fail in East Texas.  It’s not a popular one.  It’s the undertone of most problems in East Texas,  but I stand firm in my belief.