Marshall ISD approves covered practice facility; turf for baseball and softball

Mavchamp

1 hour ago, Eagleborn said:

I’m amazed by how uneducated people are on bonds and stuff like that. 

I like the way Aledo ISD does their bonds.  They are usually starting a new one as the old one is expiring keeping additional taxes about the same.

33 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I like the way Aledo ISD does their bonds.  They are usually starting a new one as the old one is expiring keeping additional taxes about the same.

Aledo also isn’t plagued with the demographics and “institutional problems” that most East Texas towns suffer. 

The R word.

I’m white and I know it’s true. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Aledo also isn’t plagued with the demographics and “institutional problems” that most East Texas towns suffer. 

The R word.

I’m white and I know it’s true. 

I have plenty of African American friends from Marshall, and I can tell you that even though they can easily friend white people, racism is still a part of their upbringing.  Being white and from Marshall, I can tell you for sure that most of my white friends from Marshall grew up with racism in their upbringing...  

Had a black lady tell me one time that if they just renovated Pimberton she would be alright with segregation...  I said why would you want a HS in a **** hole building that does nothing but divide the town?  She responded “the town is already divided.  We would just be giving everyone what they already want.”  

I was floored

Lots of white folks in East Texas have no desire to pay for new schools and facilities that are for majority brown/black students (which is almost every 5A and up school in the region except WH and Hallsville).

They use the guise of being fiscally conservative.  But they ignore facts about costs of renovations Vs replacement In dire cases.  And when renovation is actually an option, they balk at that too.  We all know why they really oppose the bonds.   Let’s call it what it is. 

Im related to some of those white folk.  It’s shameful. And I don’t give a free pass.  I’m fiscally conservative too. But I’m not blind to needs of an ISD. 

Just wish it was as easy to get things done in East Texas as it is in the rapidly growing parts of our state. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, threejs said:

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/tyler-isd-finalizes-price-for-john-tyler-renovation-finds-efficiencies-to-add-indoor-athletics-facility/article_a18e5e30-9670-11e8-9a3b-77d956033412.html

I'll plead ignorance as to how ISD bonds work, but this seems like a genius way to fund athletic facilities without worrying about whether or not people will vote for it.

Tylerisd will have a whooping $30,000,000 left over after both schools are completed. I say pass another bond for another $70,000,000 and build a new Hubbard middle school (since that's  the only school left to rebuild) and sports complex that includes football, baseball, softball, and track. Make the football stadium to where it includes soccer also.

8 hours ago, VonG said:

Tylerisd will have a whooping $30,000,000 left over after both schools are completed. I say pass another bond for another $70,000,000 and build a new Hubbard middle school (since that's  the only school left to rebuild) and sports complex that includes football, baseball, softball, and track. Make the football stadium to where it includes soccer also.

A $30 Million contingency is insaaaane!  

Good for TISD.

But that either looks like some creative accounting or some gross overestimation in construction costs. 

• Like 1

Tisd had $15 million left over from the previous bond. We passed a bond for $198 million. Lee was supposed to cost $122 million to rebuild. JT was supposed to cost $89 million to replace. We had $213 million total. Lee ended up costing $94.6 million. JT ended up costing $87.8 million. $213 million minus $182.4 million leaves you with $30.6 million. Tisd is known for getting the price reduced. Every bond we have passed, Tisd has saved money. None of the schools costed what they asked for. 

2 hours ago, VonG said:

Tisd had $15 million left over from the previous bond. We passed a bond for $198 million. Lee was supposed to cost $122 million to rebuild. JT was supposed to cost $89 million to replace. We had $213 million total. Lee ended up costing $94.6 million. JT ended up costing $87.8 million. $213 million minus $182.4 million leaves you with leaves you with $30.6 million. Tisd is known for getting the price reduced. Every bond we have passed, Tisd has saved money. None of the schools costed what they asked for. 

Could it be gross overestimation on purpose?

6 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I rather it be that, than you don't ask for enough. Then you end up having to pass another bond because you didn't have enough to begin with. 

4 minutes ago, VonG said:

I rather it be that, than you don't ask for enough. Then you end up having to pass another bond because you didn't have enough to begin with. 

Exactly.  I was just curious if they do that so they can say "Look at what we saved.  Now lets use this to build this other thing."  When maybe its over estimated in case of a construction flaw etc...  but it seems more of the 1st thing I said, which is fine... I was just curious on public perception regarding that.

17 hours ago, VonG said:

I think I know why they haven't did much to Hogg, but I'm shocked Hubbard hasn't got a makeover.

Tyler Taxpayers might be reluctant to approve future bonds if they think they are cooking the books to get more done than what the voters are approving.  It’s a risk no doubt.  

Personally... I wish MISD had tried another bond to do a renovation to MHS like JT and Lee Has had.  Granted...MHS is a much younger campus than those two... and actually has been fairly well maintained on the whole through the years.

Not to mention the new Ag barn that’s about to be constructed.

But how MISD has gone about the renovation is smart.  And it’s definitely been less contentious. A $30 million bond to renovate Vs $30 million spread out over 5 years with no tan increase seems to be best.

The only lost project from the first bond after the MHS renovations are completed is the construction of a performing arts center. 

They have opted for renovations to The auditorium (which is a great facility). But a PAC would have been great for all fine arts. Maybe MISD can work it out in the future. 

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

I think I know why they haven't did much to Hogg, but I'm shocked Hubbard hasn't got a makeover.

Hogg nor Caldwell will ever be replaced. Those are historical buildings.

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

I not saying that's what they're doing but they have always saved money when it came to rebuilding all these schools. 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Tyler Taxpayers might be reluctant to approve future bonds if they think they are cooking the books to get more done than what the voters are approving.  It’s a risk no doubt.  

Personally... I wish MISD had tried another bond to do a renovation to MHS like JT and Lee Has had.  Granted...MHS is a much younger campus than those two... and actually has been fairly well maintained on the whole through the years.

Not to mention the new Ag barn that’s about to be constructed.

But how MISD has gone about the renovation is smart.  And it’s definitely been less contentious. A $30 million bond to renovate Vs $30 million spread out over 5 years with no tan increase seems to be best.

The only loss from the first bond to when the MHS renovations are completed is the construction of a performing arts center. 

They have opted for renovations to The auditorium (which is a great facility). But a PAC would have been great for all fine arts. Maybe MISD can work it out in the future. 

If Tisd needs to have another bond called for what ever reason. I'm quite sure it will pass. Tisd has always been upfront about what they do with the money. Same with the city of Tyler. 

Glad Longview ISD wont have to deal with any of that bond stuff for a minute, everything is brand new.

I dont think stadium expansion and another elementary due to growth is out of the question for the future though.

15 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Glad Longview ISD wont have to deal with any of that bond stuff for a minute, everything is brand new.

Exactly. 
it’s a great place to be. And a rare thing really.  Especially for 5A/6A districts with multiple campuses.  

When the renovations at MHS are done in a year or two.... a total of about  $150M will have been spent district wide.  Every single campus is brand new or newly renovated. Every athletic facility will be renovated.  We should be in great shape for a long time. 

Which means more money for other things like you said.  Wouldn’t be shocked to see another elementary school.  New MJHS needs a field house along with tennis and other athletic facilities.  Always ways to improve facilities.

But not needing any huge bonds to get things done is a great place to be.  Took us forever to get there. We can see the finish line.  Almost there.