2020 In A Nutshell

Stoney

10 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Yep. Fran set the program back by 5 years. Sherman did well to turn things around and build something. Sumlin wasn't horrible but he didn't advance the program much. 

I will eat some crow for thinking Sumlin would thrive at Arizona and Herm Edwards would fail at Arizona State. 

35 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Yep. Fran set the program back by 5 years. Sherman did well to turn things around and build something. Sumlin wasn't horrible but he didn't advance the program much. 

I thought Sherman was actually doing some good things, but he just wasn't flashy enough for the Aggie faithful. Fran is a biotch! Showed up to Tomlinson's Heisman night to support him while wearing an Alabama tie.

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

I will eat some crow for thinking Sumlin would thrive at Arizona and Herm Edwards would fail at Arizona State. 

You should always listen to me... There is a reason I finish 1st or 2nd every year in @Lobo97's pick ems.  I iz da smartass...  I mean smartest

• LOL! 1

40 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

I thought Sherman was actually doing some good things, but he just wasn't flashy enough for the Aggie faithful. Fran is a biotch! Showed up to Tomlinson's Heisman night to support him while wearing an Alabama tie.

You know who kind of reminds me of Sherman?  He just left Baylor to take over the Carolina Panthers...

48 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

I realize this is after the fact and you could just say yes to show superiority, but did you see LSU winning the National title last year?

My beginning of the year prediction, no.  By the time they got to the meat of the SEC West, I knew they were.  LSU scoring 50 points a game, will win a National Championship almost every year if they can maintain their defensive status.  If someone can come in and score 40 a game at Florida, same thing.  Take the offensive weapons that certain schools have and give them a 24 pt a game defense and they could win it too...

I will have to go find my post from last year that told you guys that if LSU's offense ends up being as good as people in Baton Rouge were telling me, to watch out.  I swear I said it about 10 times... I just have a hard time searching old posts from a year ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

Sherman was doing great things. Manziel won the Heisman because he has an offensive line full of future NFL talent in front of him, 3 first round picks. And of course he was throwing to some pretty talented guys that Sherman got. 

The problem with Sherman was that he was a TAD too proud and decided that he could serve as OC when his OC left. He did okay at that, but he completely lost game management. Why do you think he blew so many leads in 2011? It's because he couldn't manage the game properly while worrying about calling plays. 

Had he hired an OC, he'd have stuck around. I don't know if that would have led to Manziel and the awesome 2012-2013 seasons, but he'd have been around for them. So it's a bit of give and take. They were definitely exciting years under Sumlin.

8 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

It's a bit early regarding Herm. 

And I don't think anyone would fault you for thinking Sumlin was better suited for the PAC. 

If you told me that one of the two would have 15 wins and the other would be 9-15, I’d of staked money that Sumlin was the winner and Herm was close to being canned. I didn’t think Herm would last two years. That’s he’s heading into his 3rd year is impressive. 

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

If you told me that one of the two would have 15 wins and the other would be 9-15, I’d of staked money that Sumlin was the winner and Herm was close to being canned. I didn’t think Herm would last two years. That’s he’s heading into his 3rd year is impressive. 

Herm can go into a house and sell you anything.  The guy is a natural recruiter.  Sure, Sumlin got the flashier guy at QB (I think), but Herm recruited winners.  Also look at his career.  Played for the Eagles, played for a SuperBowl.  Coached in the NFL and had 4 winning seasons in 8 years with the JETS... with 2 playoff wins.  Now he is at Arizona St... a school that he was predicted to finish last in the PAC-12 when they hired Herm...  what did he do?  He went 7-6 and finished 2nd in the south... followed that up finishing 3rd in the south... and that is without a lot of talent compared to other PAC-12 schools.  

Now let's look at Sumlin.  He had a hell of a season at Houston... He went 12-1 one year...  Anyone know his record from the 3 previous seasons?  23wins, 16 losses.   Off of that great season he leaps to the huge job at Texas A&M... a team full of talent.  He goes 11-2 and beats Alabama securing his job for several years with a massive contract.  What did he do after that amazing year?  9-4, 8-5, 8-5, 8-5, 7-5...  This was at a school and with recruiting rankings that should have easily been 10 wins most years.  The only 2 losses that were expected were LSU and Alabama and he still managed to lose 2-3 more.  

Then he goes to Arizona with an absolute stud at QB.  A Heisman hopeful... and goes 5-7... He follows it up, much like he did at A&M with a 4-8.

Herm has always been the better coach.

• Thanks 1