Your school’s best football team that did not win a state title

nacdragon07

2006 Buckeyes were the top-ranked team the entire year after GJ Kinne moved in to be QB and then Liberty-Eylau, which went on to win state, pulled the shocking upset in bi-district.

The 2013 Gilmer team was also very capable of winning state, but ran into nemesis Argyle in the third round.

Very glad Gilmer and Argyle will never meet up again. The Eagles had our number except for 2012.

For us it’s hard to say. Got it narrowed down to three. 

2007: lost in OT at state. Some would say that team shouldn’t even been there after losing so much off the back to back titles the two years before. 

1996: lost to Sealy in finals. Momentum was gone after a errant punt snap. Sealy was in middle of their mid 90s run. team started season 0-4. 

1993: lost to SLC in semis. Team featured two 2000 yard backs ( one went to Baylor the other was a DE in the NFL) and a 1200 yard rusher at QB. 

1993 would get my vote. 

12 minutes ago, 36gut said:

2006 Buckeyes were the top-ranked team the entire year after GJ Kinne moved in to be QB and then Liberty-Eylau, which went on to win state, pulled the shocking upset in bi-district.

The 2013 Gilmer team was also very capable of winning state, but ran into nemesis Argyle in the third round.

Very glad Gilmer and Argyle will never meet up again. The Eagles had our number except for 2012.

That 2013 Argyle team was very good. They put a whippin on the bears in one of the coldest games I’ve sat through. 

58 minutes ago, BearFan13 said:

That 2013 Argyle team was very good. They put a whippin on the bears in one of the coldest games I’ve sat through. 

That game was brutal. I don’t think anyone expected us to win that game. The next year tho...😢

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ANTI said:

So many that you can nominate for Longview. 

I don't even know where you would start for Longview.

I think 2009 has to be at the top of the list. That team should've beaten Lake Travis that day in Waco. I have no doubt in my mind that we were the better team.

2010 has to be #2 for me. Steele was the exact type of team we knew how to stop. If not for a blocked punt (or blowing that huge lead mind you) against Guyer, I also fully believe we win State.

1975 would be my 3rd pick.

1997 team would be my 4th pick.

I'd put our 2004 team ahead of the 1986 team for 5th. That 04 team was ridiculously talented, while 86 team suffered a couple losses in the regular season.

I mean, seriously, we could have a top 10 list of Longview teams that didn't win state that could've, would've and should've.

My top 10 for Lobo teams that could've won state (with every thing factored in)

1) 2009
2) 2010
3) 1975
4) 1997
5) 2004
6) 1986
7) 2011
8. 2017
9) 2013
10) 2002

Honorary mention to 2015, though George Ranch's performance over LR (even with a hurt Duffey) somewhat lessens that just a bit.

5 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I think 2009 has to be at the top of the list. That team should've beaten Lake Travis that day in Waco. I have no doubt in my mind that we were the better team.

2010 has to be #2 for me. Steele was the exact type of team we knew how to stop. If not for a blocked punt (or blowing that huge lead mind you) against Guyer, I also fully believe we win State.

I'd put our 2004 team ahead of the 1986 team for 5th. That 04 team was ridiculously talented, while 86 team suffered a couple losses in the regular season.

I mean, seriously, we could have a top 10 list of Longview teams that didn't win state that could've, would've and should've.

The 2018 lobos I believe could have won the state title too. 

32 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

My top 10 for Lobo teams that could've won state (with every thing factored in)

1) 2009
2) 2010
3) 1975
4) 1997
5) 2004
6) 1986
7) 2011
8. 2017
9) 2013
10) 2002

Honorary mention to 2015, though George Ranch's performance over LR (even with a hurt Duffey) somewhat lessens that just a bit.

Wasn’t there a really good team in 08 or 07 that lost to Pflugerville too?

4 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Wasn’t there a really good team in 08 or 07 that lost to Pflugerville too?

08 got blown out by LT at State.

Pflugerville game was in 07. That was a very solid team. But I dunno, that Pflugerville squad just manhandled us. And then they got dominated by Katy.

Franklin 2015 lost in state to waskom

2018 lost to grandview by 3 who went on to win state was ranked #1 at end of regular season

2008 lost to newton in 3 OT's

Lost in state semi twice in 1974 and 78

And i want to say we lost to lexington in 2011 twice once in district then in the playoffs both times by 10 points and lexington lost to refugio in the state semifinals

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

I’m curious on @Mavchamp’s opinion but I would say ‘98 Marshall and maybe 2009. 

Where do you begin???  We’ve had several teams that coulda shoulda won state.  Not as many as Longview, but more than our fair share.  

The 2004 state championship game Vs Ennis is obviously #1.   Two teams that couldn’t have been more evenly matched.  We lead most of the day.  That blocked punt for a safety cost us a state championship.  Still stings. 

1989 state semifinals Vs Odessa Permian.  I think if David Haynes doesn’t get his shoulder separated.... we would have won that game and would have been favorites the following week for the title. 

2009 Vs Denison.  Losing that double digit lead in the 4th quarter was unforgivable. We got too conservative too soon and it bit us in the rear.  If I recall correctly... if we had won that game, we would have had Brenham in the semis, which would have been A battle. And Aledo for the state championship.  So it wouldn’t have been an easy road.  But the path was there. 

1996 Vs Lake Highlands.  That’s the last Marshall team to go 10-0 in a regular season.  Still no explanation how we squated in that game like we did.  LH was no slouch. I think they made it to the semis that season. Still think we were the best team in region II that season. But David Aaron had maybe the worst day of his Maverick Career that day.  

1988 quarterfinals Vs The Cheating Dallas Carter Cowboys.  Lost on a Hail Mary in the final seconds.  We were 13-0.  Benny valentine. Odell Beckham.  We would have had Odessa Permian in the semifinals in a rematch. We had already beaten them in September in Marshall.  Then it would have been Converse Judson in the title game.   So a title wasn’t a given.  It would have been earned. But we should have won that day.

2005..... no. If we had played Highland Park 10 times... we would have lost 10 times.  Do I think that game was indicative of how much better they were than us?  No.  But they were no doubt superior at every facet.  That day... things just blew up and snowballed so fast it was over before we knew what happened.  People poke fun about the game.   Meh. I’m not ashamed. We were playing Football on a day only one other team was playing. They beat us.  Everyone else was playing basketball. 

A couple of those state semifinal teams in the 20s would be fair game too. 1924. 1925. 1926. All state semifinals.  Lost all three.  One of them by penetrations 3-2. 

Lots of history.   Love it. 

13 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Where do you begin???  We’ve had several teams that coulda shoulda won state.  Not as many as Longview, but more than our fair share.  

The 2004 state championship game Vs Ennis is obviously #1.   Two teams that couldn’t have been more evenly matched.  We lead most of the day.  That blocked punt for a safety cost us a state championship.  Still stings. 

1989 state semifinals Vs Odessa Permian.  I think if David Haynes doesn’t get his shoulder separated.... we would have won that game and would have been favorites the following week for the title. 

2009 Vs Denison.  Losing that double digit lead in the 4th quarter was unforgivable. We got too conservative too soon and it bit us in the rear.  If I recall correctly... if we had won that game, we would have had Brenham in the semis, which would have been A battle. And Aledo for the state championship.  So it wouldn’t have been an easy road.  But the path was there. 

1996 Vs Lake Highlands.  That’s the last Marshall team to go 10-0 in a regular season.  Still no explanation how we squated in that game like we did.  LH was no slouch. I think they made it to the semis that season. Still think we were the best team in region II that season. But David Aaron had maybe the worst day of his Maverick Career that day.  

1988 quarterfinals Vs The Cheating Dallas Carter Cowboys.  Lost on a Hail Mary in the final seconds.  We were 13-0.  Benny valentine. Odell Beckham.  We would have had Odessa Permian in the semifinals in a rematch. We had already beaten them in September in Marshall.  Then it would have been Converse Judson in the title game.   So a title wasn’t a given.  It would have been earned. But we should have won that day.

2005..... no. If we had played Highland Park 10 times... we would have lost 10 times.  Do I think that game was indicative of how much better they were than us?  No.  But they were no doubt superior at every facet.  That day... things just blew up and snowballed so fast it was over before we knew what happened.  People poke fun about the game.   Meh. I’m not ashamed. We were playing Football on a day only one other team was playing. They beat us.  Everyone else was playing basketball. 

A couple of those state semifinal teams in the 20s would be fair game too. 1924. 1925. 1926. All state semifinals.  Lost all three.  One of them by penetrations 3-2. 

Lots of history.   Love it. 

96 was crazy.  Dominated most teams we played but we really really struggled vs 1 team.  Nacodoches.  They ran the wishbone and gashed us for close to 300 yards on the ground.  They were the WORST team in our district that year.  

Then we go to the 1st round against Dallas Kimball.  Thought we were going to get them at home, but somehow ended up at a Dallas ISD stadium.  Everywhere we had played prior was grass... They had ASTROTURF.  Not the new 2.0 stuff... the 1/2" carpet on top of of a foot of concrete.  We had a pretty awful game but pulled that one out.  Then we turn around and have another overnight game at Texas Stadium against Lake Highlands.  They ran the triple option, but they ran it with some tough strong athletes.  Not just that, they liked to sneak in the occasional streak play when you started loading the box...  which I believe they caught us on 3 times.  That game was miserable... It was like our Kyptonite under our defenses during the Bill Harper years.

Cameron Yoe

2010 - State Finalist - L 33-27 to Daingerfield.  Very talented roster from top to bottom.  

2015 - State Finalist - L 43-33 to Brock. Up 20-7 at the half before losing RB Traion Smith (128 yards, 2 TD).  One of the most productive running-backs in the history of Texas high school football.  

1987 - State Semifinalist - L 34-27 to Cuero.  Lost to the Gobblers and Robert Straight on a controversial late call.  Straight leads all rushers in 4A football history. 

1975 - State Quarterfinalist - L 14-6 to Hamshire-Fannett - Posted 9 shutouts and gave up 42 total points in 13 games.  

1974 - State Quarterfinalist - L 10-7 to Newton.  Routed Spearman in the finals.  Only loss to Newton in 5 games.  

2000 - State Quarterfinalist - L 27-26 to Marlin.  Played at Kyle Field.  Missed multiple XPs.  

Could name a few others.  Pretty much every team in the 80s was in the quarterfinalis.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

96 was crazy.  Dominated most teams we played but we really really struggled vs 1 team.  Nacodoches.  They ran the wishbone and gashed us for close to 300 yards on the ground.  They were the WORST team in our district that year.  

Then we go to the 1st round against Dallas Kimball.  Thought we were going to get them at home, but somehow ended up at a Dallas ISD stadium.  Everywhere we had played prior was grass... They had ASTROTURF.  Not the new 2.0 stuff... the 1/2" carpet on top of of a foot of concrete.  We had a pretty awful game but pulled that one out.  Then we turn around and have another overnight game at Texas Stadium against Lake Highlands.  They ran the triple option, but they ran it with some tough strong athletes.  Not just that, they liked to sneak in the occasional streak play when you started loading the box...  which I believe they caught us on 3 times.  That game was miserable... It was like our Kyptonite under our defenses during the Bill Harper years.

I think Lake Highland’s stud running back was Marcus Stiggers IIRC.  

And Dennis Parker’s defenses struggled with the option/wishbone offenses too.  

2001 Garrison team that came within an eyelash of beating the metroplex all-star Celina team that won 4 straight state championships .... Almost everyone on Garrison's team was playing both ways and special teams competing against a Celina team that had over 90 kids suited up with only a handful of players playing both ways ..... Garrison was ahead late in the 4th quarter and finally wore down.  Celina 41 Garrison 35 ....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

What about the State Championship loss against Ennis? I won’t speak of Highland park 

I have no shame or regret of that game. 

Obviously it didn’t go as we had hoped.

But there were 1300 schools sitting at the house while we were playing.

I’ll take playing the weekend before Christmas EVERY time.... no matter what the scoreboard says. 

JMHO. 

• Like 1

EF. The 2007 team,1998,1999 teams. The 1997 team was loaded but just got overpowered by Alto on that given night.

The 2012 team was good but ran into a buzzsaw in East Bernard and the 2016 team was also good but lost a close game to a good Newton team that year.