Your school’s best football team that did not win a state title

nacdragon07

23 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Use to happen on the regular back in the day of only district champions making the playoffs.

Esp back when Texas High, Marshall, Longview, JT were all together in district together.

You could just about count on a team from that district sitting at home with a 9-1 record more often than not.

Don't forget about Lufkin being in the same district with the four you mention above.....talk about a murderers row 'back in the day'.......district play was often tougher than the playoffs.....the district champion was usually pretty beat up by the end of the season.

5 hours ago, OakRidgeMav said:

Don't forget about Lufkin being in the same district with the four you mention above.....talk about a murderers row 'back in the day'.......district play was often tougher than the playoffs.....the district champion was usually pretty beat up by the end of the season.

I mean considering our district was pretty much up against Plano in their glory years from the 70s on, eh lol.

No doubt that from the 70s to the end of the district in 03, that district was one of the toughest year in and year out.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Aledo said:

I'm going to change up the question just a little. I'm going to post which teams I think would have won state if we would have lost. 

2019- Lubbock Cooper

2018- South Oak Cliff

2016- Calallen

2014- Temple

2013- Ennis

2011- Manvel

2010- La Marque

Oh man, that’s a neat thought. Here are my votes for the years Carthage won - had the Dawgs not won I think these teams would have won. Coincidentally, Carthage defeated each of these teams en route to the championship.

2019 - Lampasas

2017 - Waco La Vega

2016 - Henderson, edging out China Spring

2013 - Kilgore

2010 - Brownwood

2009 - Graham

2008 - Celina

Teague’s 2015 team lost to Cameron Yoe in the Quarterfinals is the best Teague team IMO. The next week Yoe blew out Mathis and most everyone knows the story how Yoe was beating Brock 20-7 and then the All State running back went down. 
2017 lost to Rockdale in the Quarterfinals and they went on to win State. 
An undefeated 2014 team lost to Cameron in Area ( lost our All State 2,000 yd rusher in the Malakoff showdown), Yoe went on to run the table and Yoe’s Coach was Quoted saying once we beat Teague, I knew would we win it all. 

I would say the Gilmer 2013 team. The 2006 team was loaded, but they did have some defensive issues. I still think they win state that year if they didn’t have the horrible broken leg to the offensive lineman that shook up the entire team. But that 2013 team was sandwiched between a 2012 state finalist and 2014 state champ. But for some reason they just never fully gelled. And they couldn’t stop the big Argyle RB. 

For Celina:

2006 - Lost on a last-second FG to LH. That Celina team had just jumped up from 2A, but they were LOADED. Liberty Hill had a really, really good team too, though, and they showed up to play that night. Could have played that game 10 times, and the Bobcats probably would have won nine, and won most of them convincingly. But not that night. The Panthers were really good. Their fans were pretty fun to interact with, too, very classy people. And, for what it was worth, Celina pretty much fueled the dominant 2007 state title run on pure wrath from this loss.

2015 - This one hurt. After finally beating Gilmer in the semifinals, after they'd walloped us the year before and in 2003, it felt like the Bobcats were finally going to get some hardware again after a long layoff. And then the starting QB breaks his arm on the first offensive series of the state title game against a really good WOS team. The Bobcats defense played out of their minds against an explosive Mustangs crew, but without the QB, our offense couldn't do ANYTHING against a stout chain gang defense. If the QB hadn't broken his arm, though, I think Celina would have won.

2002 - The final year of The Streak, which was upended in the Area round by Daingerfield. Compared to the four title teams that preceded them, the 2002 Bobcats were waaaaay down in talent. But they still had enough of it to get the job done, there's no doubt. We were like 2 or 3 people over the 2A/3A cutoff, and if we had stayed down, it would have been Five in a row for the Bobcats. DF was very fast and athletic, though, and killed us with the midline runs in the first half. But Butch Ford delivered the best halftime speech I've ever heard in my life, and we battled back from down 21-7 to make it 21-20 with something like 20+ seconds left in the game. There was a debate on going for two, because the Tigers could not stop our RB Josh Sharrock on the left side at all. We line up to kick the PAT, and our poor kicker, who had NEVER missed an extra point attempt in his career, missed it wide left. Streak over. I know DF lost in the semis to Midland Greenwood, but Celina matched up well with the rest of the field. I would have liked our chances if we'd snuck past DF and pushed the streak to 69 that cold Saturday night in Garland.

2004 - After a couple of "down" years, we dropped back to 2A where our numbers were better suited, and we had a senior class that was uber talented and deep. Then we lost our entire starting secondary, our otherworldly fast RB, and a few other key depth players. But with a diminished secondary, we got torched by the best team Crawford has ever fielded in the Region II finals. We would have matched up well with Canadian in the semis and Troup in the state finals, too. If we'd beaten the Pirates, we'd have won state without a doubt in my mind. The upside to this season was it gave some younger guys vital experience, and the next season, Celina had its best team of all time.

2008 - Two words: Dwight Smith.

2009 - Had more than enough talent to make a run all the way. Drastically underachieved, unfortunately.

Celina had really, really good teams in 1996 and 1997, too, but ran into talented Italy teams in the third and fourth rounds, respectively. The old timers around town will tell you the Bobcats had lots of REALLY good teams that would have won state back in the day, but it was in the era where small schools couldn't play for the state title.

13 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Oh man, that’s a neat thought. Here are my votes for the years Carthage won - had the Dawgs not won I think these teams would have won. Coincidentally, Carthage defeated each of these teams en route to the championship.

2019 - Lampasas

2017 - Waco La Vega

2016 - Henderson, edging out China Spring

2013 - Kilgore

2010 - Brownwood

2009 - Graham

2008 - Celina

Fixing 2008 from Celina to Gilmer!

2019 - Lampasas

2017 - Waco La Vega

2016 - Henderson over China’s Spring

2013 - Kilgore

2010 - Brownwood

2009 - Graham

2008 - Gilmer

1 hour ago, d0tc0m said:

For Celina:

2006 - Lost on a last-second FG to LH. That Celina team had just jumped up from 2A, but they were LOADED. Liberty Hill had a really, really good team too, though, and they showed up to play that night. Could have played that game 10 times, and the Bobcats probably would have won nine, and won most of them convincingly. But not that night. The Panthers were really good. Their fans were pretty fun to interact with, too, very classy people. And, for what it was worth, Celina pretty much fueled the dominant 2007 state title run on pure wrath from this loss.

2015 - This one hurt. After finally beating Gilmer in the semifinals, after they'd walloped us the year before and in 2003, it felt like the Bobcats were finally going to get some hardware again after a long layoff. And then the starting QB breaks his arm on the first offensive series of the state title game against a really good WOS team. The Bobcats defense played out of their minds against an explosive Mustangs crew, but without the QB, our offense couldn't do ANYTHING against a stout chain gang defense. If the QB hadn't broken his arm, though, I think Celina would have won.

2002 - The final year of The Streak, which was upended in the Area round by Daingerfield. Compared to the four title teams that preceded them, the 2002 Bobcats were waaaaay down in talent. But they still had enough of it to get the job done, there's no doubt. We were like 2 or 3 people over the 2A/3A cutoff, and if we had stayed down, it would have been Five in a row for the Bobcats. DF was very fast and athletic, though, and killed us with the midline runs in the first half. But Butch Ford delivered the best halftime speech I've ever heard in my life, and we battled back from down 21-7 to make it 21-20 with something like 20+ seconds left in the game. There was a debate on going for two, because the Tigers could not stop our RB Josh Sharrock on the left side at all. We line up to kick the PAT, and our poor kicker, who had NEVER missed an extra point attempt in his career, missed it wide left. Streak over. I know DF lost in the semis to Midland Greenwood, but Celina matched up well with the rest of the field. I would have liked our chances if we'd snuck past DF and pushed the streak to 69 that cold Saturday night in Garland.

2004 - After a couple of "down" years, we dropped back to 2A where our numbers were better suited, and we had a senior class that was uber talented and deep. Then we lost our entire starting secondary, our otherworldly fast RB, and a few other key depth players. But with a diminished secondary, we got torched by the best team Crawford has ever fielded in the Region II finals. We would have matched up well with Canadian in the semis and Troup in the state finals, too. If we'd beaten the Pirates, we'd have won state without a doubt in my mind. The upside to this season was it gave some younger guys vital experience, and the next season, Celina had its best team of all time.

2008 - Two words: Dwight Smith.

2009 - Had more than enough talent to make a run all the way. Drastically underachieved, unfortunately.

Celina had really, really good teams in 1996 and 1997, too, but ran into talented Italy teams in the third and fourth rounds, respectively. The old timers around town will tell you the Bobcats had lots of REALLY good teams that would have won state back in the day, but it was in the era where small schools couldn't play for the state title.

I got off work in Arlington early that Friday and met our folks coming from the east in line to get into the parking lot. We were about the fifth vehicle in line. The first car at the gate were some Celina fans. A gentleman was in the driver’s seat with the window down so I went to talk to him. 
He gave me a good rundown of their team and asked what I thought, I told him: 

“Dwight Smith.”

I said Celina wouldn’t be able to handle Smith and Carthage would ride him to it’s first state championship. He kind of giggled and dismissively said ok.

We have to remember, at this time Celina was still CELINA and had been on a great run of success like Alabama has been in college football since ‘09. Celina was dominant at this time and he was very confident, rightfully so. Carthage had lost two games earlier in the season, which was quite deceiving for folks trying to judge that matchup who’d not watched the Bulldogs all season seeing the transformation for themselves. 

43 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I got off work in Arlington early that Friday and met our folks coming from the east in line to get into the parking lot. We were about the fifth vehicle in line. The first car at the gate were some Celina fans. A gentleman was in the driver’s seat with the window down so I went to talk to him. 
He gave me a good rundown of their team and asked what I thought, I told him: 

“Dwight Smith.”

I said Celina wouldn’t be able to handle Smith and Carthage would ride him to it’s first state championship. He kind of giggled and dismissively said ok.

We have to remember, at this time Celina was still CELINA and had been on a great run of success like Alabama has been in college football since ‘09. Celina was dominant at this time and he was very confident, rightfully so. Carthage had lost two games earlier in the season, which was quite deceiving for folks trying to judge that matchup who’d not watched the Bulldogs all season seeing the transformation for themselves. 

Smith was a talented young man, that's for sure.

Celina was essentially without their best RB all season long. He suffered a high ankle sprain in two-a-days, and played the rest of the year at about 75% at best. He would have made a difference, for sure. Also during the pregame run out against Carthage, we lost our starting nose guard who would have made a huge difference. He was the primary one responsible for keeping the OL away from our MLB Caleb Lavey. Broke his leg during pregame, and then his backup got hurt during the game as well. Those were big-time losses that could have made a difference. But that's part of the game. And at the end of the day Carthage still had Dwight Smith.

As far as Gilmer being better than Celina in 2008, we won't ever know, obviously. But I think the only one who was beating the Bobcats that year in the postseason WAS Dwight Smith. Unless he was wearing orange and black, I think the orange and white would've won.

On 5/22/2020 at 4:59 PM, KirtFalcon said:

2001 Garrison team that came within an eyelash of beating the metroplex all-star Celina team that won 4 straight state championships .... Almost everyone on Garrison's team was playing both ways and special teams competing against a Celina team that had over 90 kids suited up with only a handful of players playing both ways ..... Garrison was ahead late in the 4th quarter and finally wore down.  Celina 41 Garrison 35 ....

Garrison had an unbelievable team, that's for sure. And, please correct me if I'm wrong, Kirt, but didn't you guys go into that state title game without your top RB? If that's the case, the Bulldogs probably would have won. They just ran into a strong-willed Celina team that just wasn't going to lose. Those seniors that year NEVER lost a football game. Which is insane. They came a breath away a few times, but went out having never been beaten.

But that game there in Waco, man. That WAS A GAME. I remember there late in the fourth we were down, but not lacking confidence at all. Our RB Adam Harvey, who was the PoY that season, kept looking to Coach G.A. Moore and pounding his chest. He wanted the ball every time, and they kept feeding it to him. And you're right, he finally wore the Bulldogs down.

As an aside, we DID have a lot of two-way players in that game and in that season. And the vast majority of those 90 kids suited up were freshman/JV guys. Celina has always suited up all football participants in the postseason.

49 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

For me top 5 teams that’s should’ve won for JT 

1. 2012

2. 2010

3. 2018

4. 2009

5. 2014

honorable mention*

Just looked at JT on MaxPreps. That was a hell of a run from 2009 to 2014. Playing 14-15 games every year. I had forgotten about that.

18 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Just looked at JT on MaxPreps. That was a hell of a run from 2009 to 2014. Playing 14-15 games every year. I had forgotten about that.

Yes good times! Should’ve had at least 2 chips during that time. 2012 that JT team as a whole was better than Denton Guyer.  2009 was the other year JT had no business not getting to state that year either. Top 5 team in 5A which is the new 6A now. Beat a highly ranked desoto team to share district. Made it to quarterfinals to only lose to a Klein team that wasn’t even on the same level as us.  That JT had Johnson at qb a two headed monster at runningback with black and chancellor and Collins at recevier! 

38 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Made it to quarterfinals to only lose to a Klein team that wasn’t even on the same level as us.

You lost 31-7....what do you mean on the same level? lol

White Oak 1958. In 57 with a young team went on to tie at state with Mart 7-7. In 1958 they went undefeated and beat Edgewood 70-12 in the first round. A SEC then disqualified WO due to a player being accused of being 19. Hawkins was the school behind the accusation from what I’m told. 

1960 lost to Crosby 14-6 in the semis

1970 white oak lost to pflugerville 7-6 in the semis I believe I heard the weather was bad.

2013 lost to Cameron 24-21. A game of two halves where we held them to 3 in the first then they turned around and beat us by 3 in the end.

2016 lost to Pottsboro in the 2nd round. Our QB went down in the 8th game that year with a broken collar bone. He was setting school records almost every game that year. Came back for the pottsboro game but wasn’t fully healed it looked like. He ended the season with 2900 yards passing and 700 yards rushing in 9 games.