How Many Lies At The Highest Level

BarryLaverty

...will have been told, at the highest levels about an accurate Covid count because of money and ideology? 

I'm looking for the truth': States face criticism for COVID-19 data cover-ups

Allan Smith
NBC News
'I'm looking for the truth': States face criticism for COVID-19 data cover-ups
'I'm looking for the truth': States face criticism for COVID-19 data cover-ups

As states ramp up their reopenings, some are coming under criticism for making public misleading statistics or concealing information related to the coronavirus outbreak.

While the U.S. has reported more cases and deaths than any other country, the method for counting COVID-19 deaths varies by state. In testimony before the Senate earlier this month, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, said the actual number of people who've died as a result of the pandemic is "almost certainly" higher than what's been counted.

Such data has been the basis for how quickly states are beginning to open up and return to a sense of normalcy. But government officials in a number of states are facing questions about how open and honest they're being about how the virus is impacting their state.

"Accurate, complete and timely information is the best way to understand, respond to and limit the impact of the virus on both health and the economy," Dr. Tom Frieden, who ran the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention under former President Barack Obama, told NBC News.

"This helps to set realistic expectations on how the pandemic will affect people's lives and to inform required changes in behavior to prevent the spread of the virus," he added.

Ad:
LyftLearn More
Thank You To Our 120,000 Drivers

5ec52a3292fc2805e470dc1f_o_U_v2.jpg
Scroll back up to restore default view.

Georgia officials have apologized and corrected what was described as a "processing error" that wrongly showed a downward trend in the number of new daily infections in the state, making it appear as if new infections had dropped every day for two weeks. The error was at least the third in three weeks, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

Georgia was among the first states to launch its reopening. Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, a Republican, said the state on Tuesday recorded its lowest number of hospitalized patients since it began tracking such data in early April.

In the neighboring state of Florida, which has also moved expeditiously in reopening swathes of its economy, several data-related controversies also have brewed.

According to internal emails obtained by the Tampa Bay Times, state officials directed a top Florida Department of Health data manager earlier this month to remove data from public view that showed Florida residents had reported coronavirus-associated symptoms before cases were officially announced. The emails showed that the data manager, Rebekah Jones, had complied with the order but said it was the "wrong call."

Jones was taken off her role maintaining the state's coronavirus dashboard one day after that directive. She told a local CBS affiliatethat she refused to "manually change data to drum up support for the plan to reopen" Florida. Last week, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican, said Jones was under "active criminal charges" for cyber stalking and cyber sexual harassment.

Meanwhile, Florida officials last month stopped releasing the list of coronavirus deaths being compiled by the state's medical examiners, which had at times shown a higher death toll than the total being published by the state. State officials said that list needed to be reviewed as a result of the discrepancy.

A spokesman for the state Health Department said the medical examiners had a different method for reporting deaths and that it was untrue "that deaths have been hidden."

"The government has one mission; academics and scholars have a very different mission," Dr. Dean Hart, an expert on viral transmission and former Columbia University professor who has run for the New York State Assembly as a Democrat, told NBC News.

"As a scientist, I'm looking for the truth, the heck with who it hurts politically," he added.

Amid reopening in Arizona, the state Department of Health Services cut off a team of Arizona State and University of Arizona experts who provided pandemic modeling specific to the state, saying it was no longer needed as the state preferred to use a federal model. After a backlash, the Health Department reinstated the team, though it's unclear whether state officials are using the local universities' work in their decision-making.

Since that dust up, Arizona State released new data showing infections and hospitalizations in the state could soar this summer.

CDC conflates diagnostic, antibody test data creating 'inaccurate' portrayal of virus

When I first heard about it, I thought 'there has to be some mistake. This is too obvious,'" Dr. Ashish Jha says. "Now I'm finding out it's not just Virginia."

The CDC and at least 11 other states have been combining the results of viral tests showing active infections with the results of antibody tests, which show whether someone had been infected in the past.While boosting a state's total testing number, health experts have said that practice does not give a proper picture of how the virus is spreading, the Associated Press reported.

The CDC announced it planned to separate the data and some of those states have stopped doing so or committed to change course, CNN reported.

In New York City, the hardest-hit locale in the nation, local officials last week released COVID-19 data broken down by zip codeafter pressure to go beyond the county-by-county totals that had previously been shown. Such information made it easier to understand which communities were being most affected by the virus.

The top issue nationally related to the publication of specific coronavirus data involving nursing home cases and deaths, where state and local officials have faced intense scrutiny over the collection and release of such information. The virus has hit nursing homes exceptionally hard -- a result of both their residents' vulnerability and policies states and localities have put into place.

In one such example, Arizona officials argued this month they should not reveal the names of facilities with outbreaks because it could give those nursing homes a stigma and could lead to discrimination against them. The argument was made in response to a lawsuit from Arizona news outlets demanding the state provide information on COVID-19 cases in nursing homes and other data.

In Pennsylvania, state officials releasedsuch data last week after weeks of delay and in the face of significant pressure.

The federal government, on the other hand, plans to publish such information by the end of May.

Hart said more information on nursing homes could paint a clearer picture of what happened specifically in New York with the spread of COVID-19. New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat, has come under fire for his administration's March order that nursing homes must accept coronavirus patients. That order was reversed earlier this month.

The group Frieden now leads as president and CEO, Resolve to Save Lives, released a list of suggested criteria to adjust social distancing measures based on key indicators that he believes should be available in every city, state and country. Those indicators include case-count trendsand health system and testing capacity to create an alert index for a specific area's level of risk.

He said much would be improved if the CDC would provide and explain the meaning of such data, adding though "much more information is available, it has not been standardized, validated and presented in clear and compelling ways."

As I have stated I don't know of anyone with the virus, and the one that supposedly contracted it only had it for 2 days ?  That's out of all my high school friends, work friends, acquaintances, and extremely large family on both sides.  I have a combined total of 19 Aunts and Uncles and each Aunt and Uncle had an average of 5 children.  Some of my first cousins already have great grandchildren not counting all of those cousins.  Why have I not heard of a single infection or anyone asking for a prayer request for their family members on facebook ?  I'm not saying this virus isn't real, but there should be at least someone down the line somewhere that has the virus.  Many of my coworkers came from Louisiana, and nothing.  That's what is strange to me.  I would at least expect one of them to know a family member, a friend, or someone they know that has contracted the virus.  All I know is I'm going to continue to be safe by proper sanitation and hygiene which is something all of us should have been doing since we were out of grade school.  

So Fauci was a kook but now that he’s saying the opposite he’s to be revered as an expert?!

i quit reading after it mentioned him.  

hospitals have admitted to committing fraud for the purpose of getting more money.  That’s been happening everywhere.  There’s one certainty, make that two.  Nobody will ever know how many died from this pandemic, and liberals are hoping the country falters for political reasons.  We should be hoping everything gets better for everybody, but some folks get giddy with joy over something that might hurt Trump and America.  It’s getting quite sickening

Don't know the truth about corona virus deaths. I'll be honest. But having talked directly to people working in the health care industry, I believe that the death count is NOT as high--well, could be lower, if you take into consideration what some of the people who died had prior to maybe getting the corona virus. I might have told this story early, but my boss' spouse died near spring break, he had been fighting lymphoma for almost 2 years--was in experimental treatments, but not given long to live. He died right after spring break, and they were counting that as a corona virus death--which he could have contracted, but he was going to pass no matter what was happening. Should this death be contributed to corona virus--or to lymphoma? I would say lymphoma--don't know if he had the rona prior to death--they cremated him after death--so no autopsy to see if had the virus. 

I believe that it shouldn't be attributed to the corona virus, but what do ya'll think? And how many of these deaths are getting counted that way? 

6 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

what do ya'll think? And how many of these deaths are getting counted that way? 

I think it's something that should be questioned, both sides, if there are political factors at work. That should not be the primary driver of decision making.  And, by the way, did you see where many school districts are targeting August 3rd week as a start date, with built in extra time throughout the year, if needed? 

4 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

I think it's something that should be questioned, both sides, if there are political factors at work. That should not be the primary driver of decision making.  And, by the way, did you see where many school districts are targeting August 3rd week as a start date, with built in extra time throughout the year, if needed? 

I have seen that, meaning that my summer break will only be about 3 weeks. I am on the clock until July 10. So that will make for a LONG year. LOL. Our school is actually thinking about a 2 X 2 day. M-W for 8th grade, T-Th for 7th grade, Fridays for teachers to prepare lessons and videos for the next week. The students will still be responsible for work done on the days they don't have school, with online classes. But it makes my days harder, but easier, and I wonder about athletics and band. Talking about going to a 5 period day from an 8 period day. Lots to be worked out in the next few weeks. Any ideas I can share. Not related to politics. please. LOL 

Just now, DannyZuco said:

I have seen that, meaning that my summer break will only be about 3 weeks. I am on the clock until July 10. So that will make for a LONG year. LOL. Our school is actually thinking about a 2 X 2 day. M-W for 8th grade, T-Th for 7th grade, Fridays for teachers to prepare lessons and videos for the next week. The students will still be responsible for work done on the days they don't have school, with online classes. But it makes my days harder, but easier, and I wonder about athletics and band. Talking about going to a 5 period day from an 8 period day. Lots to be worked out in the next few weeks. Any ideas I can share. Not related to politics. please. LOL 

We are looking at having extra weeks off in the months of October, November, December, January and March, keeping the same days, same periods, with possible 'intercessions'  for strugglers, and activities being adjusted only, if necessary. So, while most would be off for two weeks in October, as an example, band and football and whatever else going on, would still be going on. How that is going to balance for teachers/coaches as to minutes and pay is beyond me. We actually had 15 extra days built in this year to get our minutes, which was eye opening. 

Well we can start the lying started with Comey he  probably was at the highest level of the FBI when all the lying started and continue with the underlings. Oh you meant the virus, I would say the lying started at the highest level of the media and was egged on by the democrat China lovers.