Twitter Won't Remove Trump's Tweet on Supposedly Murdered Woman, Despite Husband's Request

BarryLaverty

Just endlessly nasty and wrong, and Twitter won't do anything about it, although I have heard of people being removed or suspended for much less. Trump's hatred for Scarborough driving this. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-scarborough-klausutis-cold-case-twitter-jack-dorsey-delete-tweets-151446375.html

Twitter 'deeply sorry' about Trump tweets on death of Scarborough intern, but won't remove them

Dylan Stableford
Dylan StablefordSenior Writer
Yahoo News

5ecd30df5f6f650c7fbc8136_o_U_v2.jpg
Husband of Scarborough’s late intern asks Twitter to delete Trump’s tweets
Yahoo News Video

Twitter said Tuesday that the company is “deeply sorry” for the pain caused by President Trump’s tweets demanding an investigation of MSNBC host Joe Scarborough in the death of a young woman who died in 2001 in his office, but the social media company won’t remove them, despite an outraged plea from her husband.

The woman, Lori Klausutis, 28, worked for Scarborough, at the time a Republican congressman representing a district in Florida, and was found dead in his district office after she apparently fell and hit her head on the side of a desk, resulting in a fatal blood clot. A medical examiner ruled her death an accident, concluding Klausutis had an undiagnosed heart condition, which caused her to collapse. There is no evidence linking Scarborough to her death.

Yet Trump has repeatedly suggested without evidence Scarborough should be investigated for murder in what the president falsely calls a “cold case.”

Timothy Klausutis, the widower, wrote an outraged letter to Twitter’s chief executive, Jack Dorsey, protesting President Trump’s tweets accusing the MSNBC host of murdering her.

In the letter addressed to Dorsey, Klausutis said that Trump has “perverted” the memory of his late wife for political gain, and asked that the tweets be removed.

“As her husband, I feel that one of my marital obligations is to protect her memory as I would have protected her in life,” Klausutis wrote in the May 21 letter, which was obtained by the New York Times and published Monday. “There has been a constant barrage of falsehoods, half-truths, innuendo and conspiracy theories since the day she died.” 

“My request is simple: Delete these tweets,” Klausutis continued. “The President of the United States has taken something that does not belong to him — the memory of my dead wife — and perverted it for perceived political gain.”

President Trump and Joe Scarborough with a portion of a letter sent to Twitter's CEO from the widower of Scarborough's late intern Lori Klausutis. (Photo illustration: Yahoo News; photos: AP, Bryan Bedder/Getty Images)
President Trump and Joe Scarborough with a portion of a letter sent to Twitter's CEO from the widower of Scarborough's late intern Lori Klausutis. (Photo illustration: Yahoo News; photos: AP, Bryan Bedder/Getty Images)

Klausutis claimed that Trump’s tweet suggesting Lori was murdered is a violation of Twitter’s terms of service.

“An ordinary user like me would be banished from the platform for such a tweet,” he wrote. “But I am only asking that these tweets be removed.”

A spokesperson for Twitter said Tuesday that the company has no plans to remove them at this time.

“We are deeply sorry about the pain these statements, and the attention they are drawing, are causing the family,” the spokesperson said in a statement. “We’ve been working to expand existing product features and policies so we can more effectively address things like this going forward, and we hope to have those changes in place shortly.”

Last week, with the U.S. death toll from the coronavirus mounting, Trump took aim at Scarborough, his wife and co-host, Mika Brzezinski, and MSNBC's parent company, Comcast.

“‘Concast’ should open up a long overdue Florida Cold Case against Psycho Joe Scarborough,” Trump tweeted, adding the hashtag in all caps: “#OPENJOECOLDCASE.”

The president did so again Tuesday morning.

“The opening of a Cold Case against Psycho Joe Scarborough was not a Donald Trump original thought, this has been going on for years, long before I joined the chorus,” Trump tweeted. “In 2016 when Joe & his wacky future ex-wife, Mika, would endlessly interview me, I would always be thinking about whether or not Joe could have done such a horrible thing? Maybe or maybe not, but I find Joe to be a total Nut Job, and I knew him well, far better than most. So many unanswered & obvious questions, but I won’t bring them up now! Law enforcement eventually will?"

Critics have repeatedly complained that Trump’s conspiracy-laden tweets and falsehoods, reaching his 80 million Twitter followers, violate the social media platform’s terms of service. But the company has resisted calls to address them.

“Blocking a world leader from Twitter or removing their controversial tweets would hide important information people should be able to see and debate,” the company said in 2018.

Is this coming from the man who applauded Facebook and Twitter for censorship of everything Trump while pushing Democratic agendas during the last election, while also crying Russia, when it appeared Democrats may have been trying to use Russia to do the same thing?!?!  

I know that is a lot to process...  but read it all and remember how I am against everyone talking out of both sides of their ***es regardless of which way I lean.  The divisiveness of both political parties right now is beyond ridiculous.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Is this coming from the man who applauded Facebook and Twitter for censorship of everything Trump while pushing Democratic agendas during the last election, while also crying Russia, when it appeared Democrats may have been trying to use Russia to do the same thing?!?!  

I know that is a lot to process...  but read it all and remember how I am against everyone talking out of both sides of their ***es regardless of which way I lean.  The divisiveness of both political parties right now is beyond ridiculous.

I am speaking directly about Trump accusing someone of murder through Twitter, and the husband of the person who died wanting it taken down, and Twitter refusing, essentially, because of the position Trump has as POTUS. Would that be removed if you or I did it? 

And, I am for a restoration of the Fairness Doctrine, so both sides should be equally represented in media, if that answers your question. 

1 minute ago, BarryLaverty said:

I am speaking directly about Trump accusing someone of murder through Twitter, and the husband of the person who died wanting it taken down, and Twitter refusing, essentially, because of the position Trump has as POTUS. Would that be removed if you or I did it? 

And, I am for a restoration of the Fairness Doctrine, so both sides should be equally represented in media, if that answers your question. 

90-95% of the stuff spewed on social media is based on opinion.  If you go on there looking for truth and facts, then you should be censored in life...  If he wants it removed, he should ask Trump to remove it, not Twitter.  

You can call me a ***** ***** **** ****.  Should I go to your wife to ask her to make you apologize?  Heck no, I will ask you to apologize before I kick some **** ***** ****.  😜  

But seriously, you are asking Twitter to be a middle man based off of emotions.  That isn't their job.  God help us all if it becomes their job.

11 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

90-95% of the stuff spewed on social media is based on opinion.  If you go on there looking for truth and facts, then you should be censored in life...  If he wants it removed, he should ask Trump to remove it, not Twitter.  

You can call me a ***** ***** **** ****.  Should I go to your wife to ask her to make you apologize?  Heck no, I will ask you to apologize before I kick some **** ***** ****.  😜  

But seriously, you are asking Twitter to be a middle man based off of emotions.  That isn't their job.  God help us all if it becomes their job.

I am asking them to apply the same standards that they would use for EVERYONE and not exempt Trump or any other politician or public figure. 

1 minute ago, BarryLaverty said:

I am asking them to apply the same standards that they would use for EVERYONE and not exempt Trump or any other politician or public figure. 

I think they are...  The social media companies are fighting some fierce legal battles right now over censorship Basing it on their terms of service, which has been scrutinized as a left leaing practice.  Seeing far more right wing opinions censored than left wing opinions.  

• Thanks 2

So, it turns out that I have powers, and I intend to use them for good. 

BREAKING NEWS

Twitter Labeled Trump's Tweets

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 6:36 PM EST

Mr. Trump has tweeted several times about mail-in ballots in recent days, accusing California, Michigan and other states of enabling voter fraud by distributing mail-in ballots during the coronavirus pandemic. Voting by mail would be “substantially fraudulent,” Mr. Trump tweeted on Tuesday.

A Twitter spokesman said the tweets “contain potentially misleading information about voting processes and have been labeled to provide additional context.”

Twitter has really stepped in it this time trying to "fact check" President Trump's tweets ... once you start down this road, you are going to have to fact check the left's obviously false tweets. If they don't do it, they could face govt stepping in and regulating them.  Their big problem is their "fact checkers" are all ultra left wing anti-Trump biased sources ... if twitter can't show it can operate in an even handed way, I think they are on shakey ground ....

The best solution would be to not try to fact check either side ...

Facebook's attempt to fact check conservatives has the same problems ...

Right or wrong, I see some type of govt intervention coming sooner than later ....

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama