American billionaires got $434 billion richer during the pandemic while unemployment hit 40 million

BlahBlah

They are just looking out for our own good too!

https://blogs.wsj.com/wealth/2009/05/26/billionaires-try-to-shrink-worlds-population-report-says/

Billionaires Try to Shrink World’s Population, Report Says

By 

Last week’s meeting of the Great and the Good (or the Richest and Richer) was bound to draw criticism.

buffettgates0526_E_20090526111421.jpgAssociated Press

The New York meeting of billionaires Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, David Rockefeller, Eli Broad, George Soros, Ted Turner, Oprah, Michael Bloomberg and others was described by the Chronicle of Philanthropy as an informal gathering aimed at encouraging philanthropy. Just a few billionaires getting together for drinks and dinner and a friendly chat about how to promote charitable giving.

There was no agenda, we were told. And no plan for a follow-up meeting.

But in an age of fallen wealth idols, it was inevitable that a meeting of billionaire minds would draw scrutiny. Surely all that money and power in one room had to spell trouble for the rest of us.

An article in the Times of London, headlined “Billionaire Club in Bid to Curb World Population,” said the issues discussed in the top-secret meeting included health care, education and–by far the most controversial–slowing the global population growth.

“Taking their cue from Gates they agreed that overpopulation was a priority,” the article said, adding that “this could result in a challenge to some Third World politicians who believe contraception and female education weaken traditional values.”

Such a stand wouldn’t be surprising. Mssrs. Gates, Buffett and Turner have been quietly worrying about Malthusian population problems for years. Mr. Gates in February outlined a plan to try to cap the world’s population at 8.3 billion people, rather than the projected 9.3 billion at which the population is expected to peak.

2 hours ago, Wild74 said:

Having your money in all the right places it seems

It takes money to make money.  When a good investing opportunity comes along you’ve got to have cash to put in it.  It was reported that 70% of Americans didn’t have $1k saved when the shutdown started.  I guess that’s the billionaire’s fault.   The billionaires are in a position to make more money because they have it laying around. Lots of it

• Like 1

I think many of them are losing money too.  You can't shut down the economy as has been done, and expect them to get ahead especially with the way Wall Street has been going.  The only one's that became richer were the one's that sold out high before the crash.  

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

It takes money to make money.  When a good investing opportunity comes along you’ve got to have cash to put in it.  It was reported that 70% of Americans didn’t have $1k saved when the shutdown started.  I guess that’s the billionaire’s fault.   The billionaires are in a position to make more money because they have it laying around. Lots of it

Also helps when you know the crisis is coming and you invest lots of money in things that will be in high demand during the crisis.  Its a miracle!

4 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

Also helps when you know the crisis is coming and you invest lots of money in things that will be in high demand during the crisis.  Its a miracle!

You still have to have the money to invest.  I saw the writing on the wall too.  I went to looking for investments as well.  I wasn’t in that 70% that doesn’t plan for rainy months, but I’m not a billionaire either.  Anybody in this forum had the opportunity to invest in medical supply companies, or any good investment for that matter.  

16 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

The economy didn’t shut down until we were forced to lock down.  We may have seen a steady decline in sales if we had stayed open, but money would have kept moving and we wouldn’t have needed $1T to buy bread and water...

• Like 1

Just now, MavGrad99 said:

How many billionaires and millionaires went broke during the recession/depression?  I bet the # is staggering low and I bet those people recovered faster than anyone.  

Yep, I don't know where you live, but I've already seen multiple closings of small businesses and even big businesses.  Those that were able to weather the storm will make out like bandits once this is over if Trump is re-elected.  Should Biden be elected, even more will fall.  

On a side note, I'm hearing many that are unemployed are making doing quite well, and some of them are cutting back their hours at work, because they still get unemployment even while going to work part time.  That's crazy to me.  I'm working full time again, and making better money than I did when we were at 100%.  A lot of that has to do with the wait time, and people's eating habits changing.  I'm seeing more people dining out between the hours of 2-5 than before, because they have that leisure time.  Many chains used to have senior specials or early bird specials for those hours, because that was the slow time for the restaurant business, but now it's still a lunch rush all through the day.  I'd rather be working than being paid by Uncle Sam or unemployment.  I even felt sort of bad about filing for unemployment even though I paid into it for 35 years, and didn't see any money.  I still haven't yet, so I'm not counting any chickens yet.   I could make it back on my own, but it would take a lot of time to repay what I have had to borrow to stay alive.  

Just now, MavGrad99 said:

The economy didn’t shut down until we were forced to lock down.  We may have seen a steady decline in sales if we had stayed open, but money would have kept moving and we wouldn’t have needed $1T to buy bread and water...

Not a single state was forced to do this, but they did of their own accord.  That's why I'm not voting for a single person that wanted to quarantine the entire economy when there were many healthy people still able to work.  I've been 100% healthy since last July.  I had a cough because of the Deer Park chemical plant exploding, but was still able to work.   I wasn't able to donate plasma three times, because my anxiety and stress level was making my heart beat over 100 beat per minute, but that was due to hearing more bad news from Judge Lina Hidalgo.  One good thing I will say is now I get sick days from work, and I'll use them whether I am or not.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ObiOne said:

I saw this coming in January.  I bought Campbell Soup, Hormel, Walmart , and COSTCO. So when the Dow Jones fell over 10,000 points, I gained around 3-5 % growth.   Now on April 16th I switched from Covid-19 era to Post Covid-19 era.  I bought, Caribbean Cruise Line , Brinker, American Airlines, Haliburton , and Cinemark.  People could have used their 1,200 stimulus check, and their inflated unemployment check to make more money.  

35 minutes ago, BlahBlah said:

I saw this coming in January.  I bought Campbell Soup, Hormel, Walmart , and COSTCO. So when the Dow Jones fell over 10,000 points, I gained around 3-5 % growth.   Now on April 16th I switched from Covid-19 era to Post Covid-19 era.  I bought, Caribbean Cruise Line , Brinker, American Airlines, Haliburton , and Cinemark.  People could have used their 1,200 stimulus check, and their inflated unemployment check to make more money.  

I also bought a couple of those.  Time will tell if we knew what we were doing lol.  Gates and his buddies saw this coming much earlier.  At least as early as November when they held the fake fire drill Event 201.  They and many high ranking govt folk moved their money way before the S hit the fan.

3 hours ago, BlahBlah said:

My stimulus check went into CCL

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

My stimulus check went into CCL

Yes, I bought it when the Saudi Prince bought a huge chunk of it.  That means CCL have a cash flow to survive the down time.  That is why I chose CCL over Royal Caribbean Cruise Line.