West Hardin 2020 Commencement Address

RETIREDFAN1

By yours truly....

I’d like to welcome the family and friends of the West Hardin High school graduating class of 2020…..Looks like I didn’t get banned from speaking again after the last one…..Commencement speeches began in medieval English universities where people entered as apprentices and left able to commence their jobs. They had to endure a long address prior to this, called the commencement address. You won’t have to endure that tonight. This one is going to be short….because I was told to keep it short…. and hopefully sweet. 

This is a wonderful class you have come to see graduate tonight. Each and every one of them embodies the definition of relentless perseverance. They have pursued their goal of getting their education despite all the many obstacles that have been placed in their path along the way. They have overcome every one of these and sit there in front of you today having been made stronger by their perseverance. 

This group was born in the aftermath of 9/11. Our nation has been in a constant state of war every year of their lives, yet they persevered, they overcame. 

This group of seniors faced two major hurricanes before they even got out of elementary school. They faced down the hardships of Hurricane Rita and Hurricane Ike. They did not give up, they overcame. And they are stronger for that. 

This group of seniors faced the hardships of Tropical Storm Harvey. They did not give up, they overcame. And they are stronger for that. 

This group of seniors faced more obstacles in their final year of high school than any group has probably ever faced. They faced down the floods of Tropical Storm Imelda early in their senior year. They bounced back from that and grew from their experience. They refused to give up. They overcame. 

This group then faced the ultimate test: having their senior year cut short by the coronavirus. They lost out on many of the experiences that seniors look forward to having. They missed out on senior serve. They missed out on prom. They missed out on the athletic, ag, band, and academic contests which they worked so long and hard for. But they did not give up. They overcame. 

Many of you will move on to the job force, to college, to technical or vocational school, but you will carry the memories of what you have learned about overcoming struggles and never giving up. You will face many things in your job, school, or life. When you do, remember how you overcame all the ones you have already faced, and persevere. 

Now I’ve got a few personal thoughts about the class of 2020. This class has been the favorite class I have ever had the privilege to teach. You are the only class that I can say I have had many conversations about many things with every single one of you. 

I have never felt closer to any class in my past than I feel to you all. I’m going to admit, I wasn’t too thrilled when I was told I’d be teaching you guys 7th period of your 6th grade year. I wanted the deal I had the year before where I got to leave after 6th period. Plus, I had never taught anyone under 10th grade until that time, so I had no idea how it was going to work out. It was an adventure, but I saw in your entire class the potential you had. You have done more than any class I have ever taught. You have all been involved while you were in school. 

You were involved in athletics, academics, FFA, band, STUCO, NHS. Your involvement in one or more of these will go far in aiding you in your future. I am proud to have been a part of your lives here at West Hardin, and I will be there for you in the future if you need help. 

This night brings to an end your life as a high school student,  but as with all endings, it is also a beginning. I can’t wait to see how you all turn out in the future. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

By yours truly....

I’d like to welcome the family and friends of the West Hardin High school graduating class of 2020…..Looks like I didn’t get banned from speaking again after the last one…..Commencement speeches began in medieval English universities where people entered as apprentices and left able to commence their jobs. They had to endure a long address prior to this, called the commencement address. You won’t have to endure that tonight. This one is going to be short….because I was told to keep it short…. and hopefully sweet. 

This is a wonderful class you have come to see graduate tonight. Each and every one of them embodies the definition of relentless perseverance. They have pursued their goal of getting their education despite all the many obstacles that have been placed in their path along the way. They have overcome every one of these and sit there in front of you today having been made stronger by their perseverance. 

This group was born in the aftermath of 9/11. Our nation has been in a constant state of war every year of their lives, yet they persevered, they overcame. 

This group of seniors faced two major hurricanes before they even got out of elementary school. They faced down the hardships of Hurricane Rita and Hurricane Ike. They did not give up, they overcame. And they are stronger for that. 

This group of seniors faced the hardships of Tropical Storm Harvey. They did not give up, they overcame. And they are stronger for that. 

This group of seniors faced more obstacles in their final year of high school than any group has probably ever faced. They faced down the floods of Tropical Storm Imelda early in their senior year. They bounced back from that and grew from their experience. They refused to give up. They overcame. 

This group then faced the ultimate test: having their senior year cut short by the coronavirus. They lost out on many of the experiences that seniors look forward to having. They missed out on senior serve. They missed out on prom. They missed out on the athletic, ag, band, and academic contests which they worked so long and hard for. But they did not give up. They overcame. 

Many of you will move on to the job force, to college, to technical or vocational school, but you will carry the memories of what you have learned about overcoming struggles and never giving up. You will face many things in your job, school, or life. When you do, remember how you overcame all the ones you have already faced, and persevere. 

Now I’ve got a few personal thoughts about the class of 2020. This class has been the favorite class I have ever had the privilege to teach. You are the only class that I can say I have had many conversations about many things with every single one of you. 

I have never felt closer to any class in my past than I feel to you all. I’m going to admit, I wasn’t too thrilled when I was told I’d be teaching you guys 7th period of your 6th grade year. I wanted the deal I had the year before where I got to leave after 6th period. Plus, I had never taught anyone under 10th grade until that time, so I had no idea how it was going to work out. It was an adventure, but I saw in your entire class the potential you had. You have done more than any class I have ever taught. You have all been involved while you were in school. 

You were involved in athletics, academics, FFA, band, STUCO, NHS. Your involvement in one or more of these will go far in aiding you in your future. I am proud to have been a part of your lives here at West Hardin, and I will be there for you in the future if you need help. 

This night brings to an end your life as a high school student,  but as with all endings, it is also a beginning. I can’t wait to see how you all turn out in the future. 

Very Well delivered address! Bravo, Colmes!👨‍🎓

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
On 5/29/2020 at 10:17 PM, RETIREDFAN1 said:

By yours truly....

Missed this post.  Glad I found it.  Excellent job big guy.   Top drawer.

• Thanks 1