Prophets

RETIREDFAN1

Prophets

At the founding of the church, Peter quotes the prophet Joel.

Acts 2:14-21

A part of the foundation of the church were prophets.

Ephesians 2:19-20

People in denominations claim that prophecy continues today. Some claim they have prophets among their members.  Others essentially claim that all of their members prophesy. They do not believe you can truly be a Christian without the miraculous gifts of the Spirit, including the gift of prophecy. Let’s take today to study prophets in the Bible, and see if these folks are mistaken in their teaching, or not.

Prophets had specific duties. A prophet was only allowed to speak what God told him. Balaam understood this.

Numbers 22:18-20, 38

Numbers 23:12

Even though he clearly understood this, it did not stop him from trying to go against God. Failing in his efforts to go against God, Balaam instructed Balak on how to turn God’s anger against the Israelites.

This warns us that a prophet has some control over things.

I Corinthians 14:29-32

Notice that the other prophets weighed the words of the one speaking. This would minimize the chance that a person who was making a false prophecy would get away with it.

I John 4:1

The words were weighed against what was already known. Galatians 1:6-10

A mark of a true prophet was his consistency with the revealed word of God.

Deuteronomy 13:1-5

Because it was God’s words, it must be carefully considered.

I Thessalonians 5:19-22

Prophecy involved teaching.

I Corinthians 14:31

Ephesians 4:11-13

Prophecy was a sign to believers.
I Corinthians 14:22

It was to be used to uplift and edify Christians.
I Corinthians 14:26

This is demonstrated by Judas and Silas.

Acts 15:32

Our view of prophecy usually involves the telling of future events.

Acts 11:27-28

Acts 21:10-11

A prophet was a spokesman for God and God knows the future. Isaiah 44:6-8

God declares the result at the beginning.

Isaiah 46:9-11

The ability to accurately state the future is a mark of God.

Isaiah 41:21-23

It is used to test a prophet.

Deuteronomy 18:22

Not all prophecy is fulfilled in the prophets lifetime.

Matthew 13:17

What good is that? By the time we find out he was a false prophet, he is long since dead.Take the reverse thought: If every prophecy was fulfilled in the lifetime of the prophet, people could claim that the prophet was just good at reading current events or manipulating events to get them fulfilled.

God’s prophets often combined short-term prophesies with long-term prophesies. The short-term ones proved the truth of the long-term prophesies.

Example: Jeremiah 28:9-17

The people knew Jeremiah was right and Hananiah was wrong.

I Kings 13:1-5

The prophet’s words were known to be true because of the short-term prophecy. It was fulfilled 300 years later.

II Kings 23:15-16

True prophecy is not vaguely worded statements which any of a multitude of events could match. God’s prophesies were filled with specifics. They told of future events and even named who was to do it.

Another example Isaiah 44:28-45:1
Fulfilled in Ezra 1:1-3

This was a full 145 years after Isaiah’s prophecy!

Think what it would take to predict an event 145 years in advance, naming the king of a foreign nation which wasn’t even in power at the time, nor was the king involved was even born.

Women could be prophets. Philip’s daughters were prophetesses. Acts 21:8-9

Anna was a prophetess under the Old Law.

Luke 2:36-38

It was predicted to be for men and women.

Acts 2:17-18

Some look at these women prophets and claim that God approves of women leaders, else why would women have the gift of prophecy. God plainly stated the role of women.

I Timothy 2:11-15

A woman who prophesied had to wear a covering to show she was under authority.

I Corinthians 11:3–10

She was not allowed to speak in the assembly of the church.

I Corinthians 14:34-38

Recall what Paul stated that when prophecy was done was under the control of the prophet.

I Corinthians 14:31-32

Prophecy involved teaching, and a woman was not permitted to teach men publicly.

Was prophecy meant to continue? No. It was partial and would end.

I Corinthians 13:8-10

Prophecy would be sealed up.

Daniel 9:24

Prophecy would end.

Zechariah 13:1-2

But wisdom and understanding continue. There were gifts of wisdom and understanding from the Spirit.

I Corinthians 12:7-11

Yet, it does not mean that all faith, wisdom, and understanding are miraculous gifts of the Spirit.

We also have several warnings against false prophets. Just because a prophet claims to have words from the Lord it doesn’t make it so. Jeremiah had problems with false prophets contradicting what he taught.

Jeremiah 14:13-16

Where does a false prophecy come from? It comes from the deceptions of the false prophet’s own mind.

Jeremiah 14:14

Ezekiel 13:2-3

They speak their own desires.

Jeremiah 23:16, 25-27

Just because a false prophet has followers doesn’t prove his words are true. People don’t care if the doctrine is wrong so long as it leaves them feeling good.
Jeremiah 5:30-31 

They want to be taught what they want to hear.

II Timothy 4:3-4

False prophets give the people what they want because popularity is a form of power .

Jude 1: 16

A false prophet plagiarizes the words of others.

Jeremiah 23:30

They pad their words with God’s to make it sound legitimate.

A false prophet can be detected by the life he lives.

Matthew 7:15-23

The false prophets lived unholy lives.

Jeremiah 23:13-15 

A false prophet’s teaching doesn’t improve the listener.

Jeremiah 23:17, 21-22, 32

Sensuality is popular, so these teachers teach things that appeals to the senses: smooth words, luxuries, fulfilling worldly desires. II Peter 2:2, 9-10, 12-14

They become unreasoning animals, acting on instinct instead of logic.

Jude 1: 10

While we no longer have them today, prophets were important in the early church. The perfect will of God took several years to record. The prophets were involved in getting that word recorded. They served as a partial replacement until the recording was completed. The role of prophets was stated to be temporary and was said to end near the beginning of the church.

People who claim to prophesy today are frauds. Proof is in their lives and in their messages.