A President Addresses The Nation

BarryLaverty

5 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

And I think says a lot that we can all get behind, whatever your political party affiliation. Too bad it wasn't our current POTUS. Trump could really help himself, but he can't show 'weakness' as he sees it. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/obama-george-floyd-protests-medium-essay-real-change-162830123.html

Yahoo News

Obama to George Floyd protesters: Channel 'justifiable' anger into action

Dylan Stableford
Dylan StablefordSenior Writer
Yahoo News

Former President Barack Obama on Monday addressed the nationwide protests over the death of George Floyd, praising the "overwhelming majority" of peaceful demonstrators, condemning the violence brought on by a "small minority" and calling on a new generation of activists" to "bring about real change."

"The waves of protests across the country represent a genuine and legitimate frustration over a decades-long failure to reform police practices and the broader criminal justice system in the United States," Obama wrote in an essay published on Medium.com. "The overwhelming majority of participants have been peaceful, courageous, responsible, and inspiring. They deserve our respect and support, not condemnation."

The former president then lauded police in Camden, N.J., and Flint, Mich., for publicly supporting peaceful protests before criticizing demonstrators who have been acting violently. 

"On the other hand, the small minority of folks who’ve resorted to violence in various forms, whether out of genuine anger or mere opportunism, are putting innocent people at risk, compounding the destruction of neighborhoods that are often already short on services and investment and detracting from the larger cause," Obama wrote. "Let’s not excuse violence, or rationalize it, or participate in it. If we want our criminal justice system, and American society at large, to operate on a higher ethical code, then we have to model that code ourselves."

Obama dismissed suggestions by some activists that "only protests and direct action can bring about change, and that voting and participation in electoral politics is a waste of time."

"I couldn’t disagree more," he explained. "The point of protest is to raise public awareness, to put a spotlight on injustice, and to make the powers that be uncomfortable; in fact, throughout American history, it’s often only been in response to protests and civil disobedience that the political system has even paid attention to marginalized communities. But eventually, aspirations have to be translated into specific laws and institutional practices — and in a democracy, that only happens when we elect government officials who are responsive to our demands.”

"The choice isn’t between protest and politics," Obama continued. "We have to do both. We have to mobilize to raise awareness, and we have to organize and cast our ballots to make sure that we elect candidates who will act on reform."

A woman places flowers at a memorial mural for George Floyd in Minneapolis Sunday. (John Minchillo/AP)
A woman places flowers at a memorial mural for George Floyd in Minneapolis Sunday. (John Minchillo/AP)

He added: "If, going forward, we can channel our justifiable anger into peaceful, sustained, and effective action, then this moment can be a real turning point in our nation’s long journey to live up to our highest ideals."

His statement came after a weekend where protests raged in virtually every major American city, with many turning destructive and violent. The National Guard has been deployed in 15 states as well as Washington, D.C., where protesters clashed with police outside of the White House.

On Friday, Obama released a statement condemning the death of Floyd, a black man who died after being pinned to the ground by a Minneapolis police officer.

“This shouldn’t be ‘normal’ in 2020 America. It can’t be normal,” Obama said. “If we want our children to grow up in a nation that lives up to its highest ideals, we can and must be better.”

In both statements, Obama did not mention President Trump.

Trump has yet to formally address the nation about the roiling discord, instead tweeting various complaints about the media's coverage of the protests and blaming the violence on far-left activists such as antifas.

On Friday night, Secret Service agents rushed Trump to a White House bunker designed for use in emergencies like terrorist attacks as hundreds of protesters fought with police about 100 yards from the executive mansion.

Thank goodness for a good speech writer. But he did have 8 years to fix these problems--a lot of good he did, especially when he was busy trying to divide the nation. 

8 minutes ago, JETT said:

every press conference i hear teump brings up the previous administration 

It's because they keep trying to say he's not doing his job as President.  I see him doing a good job under the circumstances.  In not a single instance of American History have we been subjected to anything like this on a local basis.  President Trump has been hands on and hands off.  He's trying and attempting to make life better for all Americans, and then we have this rubbish that should have never happened.  No one agrees with the cop in Minneapolis, including his own wife that adored him last week, but now even she see's a different side to him that the world is seeing.  I heard today that America is now the poster for the world on how terrible things are here, well, guess what I've seen worse across the rest of the world .  We should correct this, but not to where destruction and mayhem is happening.  Let's be logical, but instead it appears things are still running rampant.  With the last presidents recent words, even he is condemning the destruction of property.  This isn't about BHO anymore, but he wants to make it about him ?  I realize he is trying to prop Biden up, but he has been making a lot of statements lately in regards to recent events, and while he hasn't named President Trump he has alluded to his administration.  If you don't see it, then you're blind.   We need a lot of healing in this country on many levels not just racial healing, but how we see each other in person, and even behind our screen names.  I understand that when we meet strangers we're do have some trepidation in regards to how they will react to us personally, and we do as well towards them.  That's a natural reaction to the unknown.  We are all strangers to one another, until we can learn to appreciate one another as friends, we will remain strangers. Until someone does me wrong, I'll be their faithful friend.   Once the line is crossed, then I won't trust them for a very long time.  

1 hour ago, Youngcoach123 said:

They blamed bush for four years over the economy

Obama is still blaming Bush for the economy-every time they talk about his economy, obama says he inherited the worst economy since the Great Depression and how much better things would have been without the recession, which really didn't end until 2016. And while he was our president, I gave him more respect than the folks on here that hate President Trump. But that doesn't take away the fact that he tried to destroy this nation from within. America First every day!!!!!

12 hours ago, BlahBlah said:

The more important thing Trump would be showing in a prime time speech is leadership.  Right now he is getting branded as someone hiding in his bunker.  Remember the speech would be directed at the people who are not political in nature.  He could use the speech to calm the 40 million new people on unemployment who are angry and anxious about the near future.  .  

Those 40 million should contact their governors.  I’d like to see the unemployment numbers by state since some states are opening up and putting folks back to work

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

Thank goodness for a good speech writer. But he did have 8 years to fix these problems--a lot of good he did, especially when he was busy trying to divide the nation. 

Same stuff happened in Ferguson while Obama was in office.  Was that his fault?  Nope.  But he could’ve intervened to make the situation better but didnt

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

Obama is still blaming Bush for the economy-every time they talk about his economy, obama says he inherited the worst economy since the Great Depression and how much better things would have been without the recession, which really didn't end until 2016. And while he was our president, I gave him more respect than the folks on here that hate President Trump. But that doesn't take away the fact that he tried to destroy this nation from within. America First every day!!!!!

I prayed for Obama a lot, mainly because I want our country to do well.  That isn’t the case for our liberal posters here 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, JETT said:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/10/republican-party-collusion.html

I said credible.  Slate and msdnc don't fit the bill.  Note that the article I cited was well after Mueller attempted to testify to congress and the whole russia hoax blew up in their faces.  Smh.  The area was the site of anarchist mobster's just the night before.  So,  I'm to believe they would've let the President just stroll on up to the church without fear of bodily harm?  Don't think so.

6 hours ago, Youngcoach123 said:

Not tear gas and it wasn’t for trump. Per park police statements. But I understand that ruins your meme, so carry on.

Correct.  Park police did not use teargas and reports to the contrary are untrue....Imagine that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Not really quite the opposite . Just because most don’t express your idiotic views in which you’re always negative doesn’t make it right. 

Whooshed right by you, huh, Sparky?! 😂

i·ro·ny1
/ˈīrənē/

noun
  1. the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
  • LOL! 1

11 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

Correct. They used pepper bullets and smoke bombs which are pretty much identical to using tear gas....imagine that. 

You don't know much about smoke bombs if you believe that.  All smoke bombs do is limit your sight, they don't cause any of the problems that tear gas has on you.  Basic training will teach you that.  You learn how to properly use a gas mask  quick in that situation.   If your mask isn't properly sealed to your face, you'll  be on your knees or on the ground quick.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BoHogg said:

A "leak" about the reaction to the "leak."

Upset about the story of cowering in the bunker, Trump unbraided aides and demanded to know from senior staff, including chief of staff Mark Meadows, communications adviser Hope Hicks and press secretary Kayleigh McEnany, who had leaked the information.

Lol