Two Buffalo Policemen Arrested For Assault

BarryLaverty

And the rest of their emergency response squad quit from that duty in protest of their suspension. Why would they do that? 

Buffalo police officers arrested after shoving 75-year-old protester

AARON KATERSKY, MATT FOSTER and CHRISTINA CARREGA
Good Morning America

Two Buffalo, New York, police officers are now facing criminal charges in connection with the graphic caught-on-video shove of a 75-year-old man during a protest, prosecutors said.

Officers Aaron Torglaski and Robert McCabe were charged with second-degree assault during their video arraignments on Saturday and were released on their own recognizance. They both entered no guilty pleas and are expected back in court on July 20.

The Thursday protest at Niagara Square had less than 20 demonstrators and several members of Buffalo Police Department's Emergency Response Team, officials said.

PHOTO: An elderly man falls after appearing to be shoved by riot police during a protest against the death in Minneapolis police custody of George Floyd, in Buffalo, New York, U.S. June 4, 2020 in this still image taken from video. WBFO/via (Wbfo/VIA Reuters TV)
PHOTO: An elderly man falls after appearing to be shoved by riot police during a protest against the death in Minneapolis police custody of George Floyd, in Buffalo, New York, U.S. June 4, 2020 in this still image taken from video. WBFO/via (Wbfo/VIA Reuters TV)

One of the protesters, Martin Gugino was seen on video walking in the direction of the crowd of uniformed officers when Torglaski and McCabe allegedly shoved him.

MORE: Graphic video shows Buffalo police pushing man during protest

Gugino fell flat onto his back and bumped the back of his head on the concrete, video shows. The sound of the man's head hitting the ground silenced the crowd, according to the video.

A trail of blood can be seen seeping from the head of the motionless man as several officers walked by him.

"Mr. Gugino has been a longtime peaceful protester, human rights advocate, and overall fan of the U.S. Constitution for many years. At this time, Mr. Gugino is in serious but stable condition. He is alert and oriented," said Kelly V. Zarcone, Gugino's attorney, in a statement.

Another officer, possibly a National Guard member, who went to aid the bleeding man was pushed by fellow officers, the video shows.

PHOTO: In this image from video provided by WBFO, a Buffalo police officer appears to shove a man who walked up to police Thursday, June 4, 2020, in Buffalo, N.Y. (Mike Desmond/WBFO via AP)
PHOTO: In this image from video provided by WBFO, a Buffalo police officer appears to shove a man who walked up to police Thursday, June 4, 2020, in Buffalo, N.Y. (Mike Desmond/WBFO via AP)

The spokesperson for the city and police department, Mike DeGeorge, initially said in a statement that the man "tripped and fell."

"Once the department became aware of additional video from the scene, they immediately opened an investigation," DeGeorge told ABC News on Thursday.

Both officers were suspended and the Erie County District Attorney John Flynn launched an investigation.

The police union opposed the suspensions and in response 57 officers on the emergency team resigned from their positions, but will remain on the force.

The county executive for the area said at a press conference on Friday that Flynn had a "history of prosecuting officers who break the law, I trust him to do the same in this matter."

7 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

I heard that fall was staged. I don’t know for sure but found some close up and stills that someone posted. Looks fishy to me but I’ll let everyone judge for themselves 

I've heard the same thing, surely investigators will get to bottom of it

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

I heard that fall was staged. I don’t know for sure but found some close up and stills that someone posted. Looks fishy to me but I’ll let everyone judge for themselves 

I am telling you I watched the video at least 20 times.  The push was minimal at most.  The guy stumbles back slowly then slams his head back.  I hate that no one stopped to really check the status of the guy when he fell, but the rest of it didn't look like the police did anything wrong.

5 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I am telling you I watched the video at least 20 times.  The push was minimal at most.  The guy stumbles back slowly then slams his head back.  I hate that no one stopped to really check the status of the guy when he fell, but the rest of it didn't look like the police did anything wrong.

I'm assuming they knew it was a hoax and could see the fake blood packs and what not.  Probably not their first run in with this man. That may be why all the other 57 members of that unit quit in protest to the discipline of the two officers.  That is pretty strong support for the officers but we will see where the facts lead.

34 minutes ago, JETT said:

I've heard the same thing, surely investigators will get to bottom of it

I sure hope so.  Trying to stage violence against law enforcement in times like these should be a pretty serious crime.

Gugino Tried to Instigate the Crowd

Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown addressed Thursday's incident in a press conference on Friday afternoon, saying that Gugino was an agitator who was trying to rile up the crowd and was asked to leave the area "numerous" times. "What we were informed of is that that individual was an agitator. He was trying to spark up the crowd of people. Those people were there into the darkness. Our concern is when it gets dark, there is a potential for violence," Brown said.

46 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

Here is Barry's hero before the incident.  He was trying to provoke cops and others.  They said he was trying to get punched in the face.  I hope @BarryLaverty is proud.

https://www.ibtimes.sg/martin-gugino-was-trying-get-punched-face-before-being-shoved-by-buffalo-police-suggests-new-46401

I felt like this was staged the first time I saw it; It looked like the man wanted his Azz kicked so he could sue the cops.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

Anybody with medical expertise on here?  Would someone normally bleed like that from their ear from bumping their head?

The human brain is covered by a membrane called the dura; I believe it would take a much more severe blow to the head to rupture it & allow blood to drain from the ears. I’m no medical professional, but I suffered a much more severe blow to the back of my head in a horseback riding accident in 1992. I was unconscious for about 20 minutes , & although I had a pretty bad concussion, there was no bleeding from my ears.

6 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

The human brain is covered by a membrane called the dura; I believe it would take a much more severe blow to the head to rupture it & allow blood to drain from the ears. I’m no medical professional, but I suffered a much more severe blow to the back of my head in a horseback riding accident in 1992. I was unconscious for about 20 minutes , & although I had a pretty bad concussion, there was no bleeding from my ears.

1992 was a great year... thats the year my mom gave birth to a thug as most would call me, but I'm honestly a hard working young fella trying to provide for the fam JS

26 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

Did you fall on concrete in Buffalo, Dr. Ruth? If not, your anecdotal evidence may not work. 

7 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Did you fall on concrete in Buffalo, Dr. Ruth? If not, your anecdotal evidence may not work. 

No, Percy; I was thrown from a horse after she reared in her front  legs, My Head was probably 7or 8 feet above ground level before hitting the ground much harder than the old man’s head as it lightly struck the ground. 

In any case, I believe he was trying to provoke a physical confrontation with police in the effort to file a suit against the police department.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Youngcoach123 said:

Bogus article. I hope y’all leftist get your way and abolish the police. When metro areas turn into war zones, I don’t want to hear any whining!

Hold on one damn minute!!!  I don’t want those liberal #### moving to rural Texas.