DCTF rankings

A2J

32 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Your defense is going to be scary!

Hope so!!! Front 7 should be solid.  Secondary will be ok.  QB play will be the key for this season.

Hope we get to see you guys twice this year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BuckNut said:

My bet for 4a div 2 is Carthage 1 & PG 2

I agree Carthage is 1.  I hope we are 2 but I could see us being 3 or even 4 in pre-season.  Gotta prove we aren't having a huge drop off

7 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

I have PG #1 and Carthage #2.  Carthage lost a lot more than PG did.

I don’t know about that. PG lost a ton on offense, including their QB who has been their starter for a number of years.

QB is PG’s biggest concern.

We lost Dixon and Kel Williams, big losses, but our QB returns and our RB’s are both back. We lost some studs on the OL and DL though. 

I imagine DCTF will release the rankings tomorrow. The way they've been doing it, 4A Div. II would be next.

I haven't gotten my magazine yet (living in Missouri, it might take a bit longer), but I think it's the worst kept secret that Carthage and PG will start the season as 1 and 2, respectively.

Carthage gets the nod for me in the top spot, just because of pedigree, returning a really good QB, and Surratt. But if DCTF has PG at No. 1, I won't argue about it. That defense they bring back is downright nasty. They'll push Carthage (possibly twice) this season. Those two are on a clear collision course at Jerry's World, assuming we get to play a full season.

Behind those top two, there's a decent gap, in my opinion, and the rest of the top 10 gets a little murky. I think WOS brings back a good amount from a young team. Gilmer has a ton of talent and could find a little fire with the new coach. Navarro should be really good again down in Region IV. Graham up in Region I bring back some really good players on both sides of the ball, and they will benefit greatly from a new, experienced OC. The Steers will make some noise. Celina of course comes down from Div. I with Carthage, and the Bobcats have a ton of young talent that got some experience last year. Celina has a REALLY good QB that can spin the ball. If the offensive line can stay healthy (never played a game with the same starting five last year), the offense will be really good. Van drops down from Div. I too, but I'm not sure what they have coming back.

So my best, somewhat blind guess:

1. Carthage

2. PG

3. WOS

4. Navarro

5. Gilmer

6. Graham

7. Celina

8. Sunnyvale

9. Van

10. Connally

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I don’t know about that. PG lost a ton on offense, including their QB who has been their starter for a number of years.

We lost Dixon and Kel Williams, big losses, but our QB returns and our RB’s are both back. We lost some studs on the OL and DL though. 

Carthage has had the same question posed about a 1st year starter at QB many times.  16’ it was Davis, 17’ it was Capps, 19’ it was Horton.  There are others further back.  What is the common theme with those years for Carthage?

PG has a QB coming up that can play, along with many more weapons at RB and WR.  Their defense is going to be like Carthage was last year early on (or better).  Not going to give up many points.  That will give the offense time to gel.  IMO they should be the #1 team.

50 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

I imagine DCTF will release the rankings tomorrow. The way they've been doing it, 4A Div. II would be next.

I haven't gotten my magazine yet (living in Missouri, it might take a bit longer), but I think it's the worst kept secret that Carthage and PG will start the season as 1 and 2, respectively.

Carthage gets the nod for me in the top spot, just because of pedigree, returning a really good QB, and Surratt. But if DCTF has PG at No. 1, I won't argue about it. That defense they bring back is downright nasty. They'll push Carthage (possibly twice) this season. Those two are on a clear collision course at Jerry's World, assuming we get to play a full season.

Behind those top two, there's a decent gap, in my opinion, and the rest of the top 10 gets a little murky. I think WOS brings back a good amount from a young team. Gilmer has a ton of talent and could find a little fire with the new coach. Navarro should be really good again down in Region IV. Graham up in Region I bring back some really good players on both sides of the ball, and they will benefit greatly from a new, experienced OC. The Steers will make some noise. Celina of course comes down from Div. I with Carthage, and the Bobcats have a ton of young talent that got some experience last year. Celina has a REALLY good QB that can spin the ball. If the offensive line can stay healthy (never played a game with the same starting five last year), the offense will be really good. Van drops down from Div. I too, but I'm not sure what they have coming back.

1. Carthage

2. PG

3. WOS

4. Navarro

5. Gilmer

6. Graham

7. Celina

8. Sunnyvale

9. Van

10. Connally

Sounds like a pretty accurate rundown.  I see someone has been doing their homework during Corona break.

2 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

1. Carthage

2. PG

3. WOS

4. Navarro

5. Gilmer

6. Graham

7. Celina

8. Sunnyvale

9. Van

10. Connally

Good stuff!

There are 2 teams in D2 and everyone knows they are Carthage and PG.   If Carthage would not have dropped PG would walk to another title.  They may still get the title but it will be a battle in the title game.   With PG, the D will be dominate.  Hard not to be with the D1 guys manning the front and middle.  Will be better on the back end than most think (Ark High move in will help).  On O they will be just fine.  Yes you lose a QB with lots of experience but in that offense there really is not a lot of demand on the QB.  Carthage lost lots of line and and a great skill guy but I think they will be just a solid with the qb and backs returning.  Will be a good one to watch this year.   Twice 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BlackShirtD said:

There are 2 teams in D2 and everyone knows they are Carthage and PG.   If Carthage would not have dropped PG would walk to another title.  They may still get the title but it will be a battle in the title game.   With PG, the D will be dominate.  Hard not to be with the D1 guys manning the front and middle.  Will be better on the back end than most think (Ark High move in will help).  On O they will be just fine.  Yes you lose a QB with lots of experience but in that offense there really is not a lot of demand on the QB.  Carthage lost lots of line and and a great skill guy but I think they will be just a solid with the qb and backs returning.  Will be a good one to watch this year.   Twice 

Agree.  Will see this matchup twice and they will split.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Wouldn't say we lost a ton on offense in numbers but we did lose quality and leadership. 

The Oline will be the same guys that took us through the playoffs after 77 got hurt.  They will add a couple of the Dline guys so will probably be better that last year.  RBs are stacked.  Several good ones are lined up waiting for their chance.  QB is the big question.  Jalen throws a great ball but just doesn't have the experience and there is only one way to get it.  I think he  will improve quickly.    IF Jalen gets confidence early, they could be better on O than last year.  Other question is WR.  Just don't know who is in line for that spot.

Defense will be nasty if they stay healthy.  Theres a significant drop from the starters to the backups.  Front 7 will need to help the secondary for sure.  Move in from Arkansas will help teh secondary a lot!!

Carthage will be #1 and absolutely should be.  Nothing but respect for those guys and their program.  We are trying to build the same thing in The Grove

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Carthage has had the same question posed about a 1st year starter at QB many times.  16’ it was Davis, 17’ it was Capps, 19’ it was Horton.  There are others further back.  What is the common theme with those years for Carthage?

PG has a QB coming up that can play, along with many more weapons at RB and WR.  Their defense is going to be like Carthage was last year early on (or better).  Not going to give up many points.  That will give the offense time to gel.  IMO they should be the #1 team.

All were state champs and I do agree PG’s QB will most likely be really good.

Their defense is going to be awesome. I am excited for the season and getting to see Carthage play a number of teams we may not have ever played.

37 minutes ago, Hawk20 said:

Wouldn't say we lost a ton on offense in numbers but we did lose quality and leadership. 

The Oline will be the same guys that took us through the playoffs after 77 got hurt.  They will add a couple of the Dline guys so will probably be better that last year.  RBs are stacked.  Several good ones are lined up waiting for their chance.  QB is the big question.  Jalen throws a great ball but just doesn't have the experience and there is only one way to get it.  I think he  will improve quickly.    IF Jalen gets confidence early, they could be better on O than last year.  Other question is WR.  Just don't know who is in line for that spot.

Defense will be nasty if they stay healthy.  Theres a significant drop from the starters to the backups.  Front 7 will need to help the secondary for sure.  Move in from Arkansas will help teh secondary a lot!!

Carthage will be #1 and absolutely should be.  Nothing but respect for those guys and their program.  We are trying to build the same thing in The Grove

Agree 100%, the title should be between PG and Carthage, but Celina, Gilmer and WO-S will all do their best to be right there too.

Ready for the Dawgs and Hawks to play again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

All were state champs and I do agree PG’s QB will most likely be really good.

Their defense is going to be awesome. I am excited for the season and getting to see Carthage play a number of teams we may not have ever played.

Also don’t forget Carthage only returns 3 on defense.  That’s a lot of shoes to fill.  Could lead to some growing pains early.

2 hours ago, Sportsguru02 said:

We just sitting back watching I can’t wait for it to start we got some surprises up our sleeves just watch lol 

I don't think anyone is counting Gilmer out.....especially us.  You guys should be strong this year!!