The Smoakhouse Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aledo

Achilles Heel

What has prevented your program from taking the next step? Whether its always having a winning record, consistently making the playoffs, making deep playoff runs, winning the region, or winning state? What has been your programs achilles heel?

If you want to single out a particular season then that works too.

1 hour ago, Aledo said:

What has prevented your program from taking the next step? Whether its always having a winning record, consistently making the playoffs, making deep playoff runs, winning the region, or winning state? What has been your programs achilles heel?

If you want to single out a particular season then that works too.

Genetics

• Haha 2

1.  Revolving door of coaches for the last 10 years had been our biggest problem IMHO. 

2.  Quarterback injuries 

3.  Unlucky as hell.  
Last year facing a Huntsville team that was highly regarded until their QB went down.   Of course he came back in time for the playoffs after finishing fourth in district in his absence.  They should have been district champs.  Tough draw.  But we squatted. No excuses.  Should have faced Katy Paetow though. 

Losing to Huntsville  by 1 in the region semis the year before was a dagger. 

Don’t even get me started on that 2017 playoff game Vs Mesquite Poteet.   We lost that game on ego alone. 

Just having zero belief we can compete with a good team!  5 of the last 6 years for sure, you could tell the game was over before it even started. A few years ago when we lost to Marshall at home, you could tell they had zero confidence in even having a chance. The same goes playing Lufkin, and in the playoffs against Hunstville.  Nac. has always had athletes just haven't been able to put it together for whatever reason. Its not a revolving door of coaches either. Nac. has changed coaches but it isn't anything like some of the programs that change every year. Harper had 5 years, Ford had 2 and Reyes had 7. 

Last year we at least competed in MOST games.

Franklin
The number 21 ... ‘ 78 semis 21-22 L to Lexington , ‘84   21-25 L to Mcgregor (when I played)  , ‘15  State 21-33 L to Waskom , ‘18 absolutely loaded team , just didn’t think we would lose ,  rd 3  21-24 L to Grandview . 

• Haha 1

For my hometown it's a revolving door for AD/HFC. They are fixing to be on their 3rd head coach in 3 years. The school board has a major influence on that. The last Coach, the school  board voted in May not to renew his contract after just one year of being head coach, the vote was 4-3. From what I heard he was doing good things and the kid's enjoyed him as a coach. The community protested to get his job back. So the next school board meeting they rescinded their decision. Well as you all know being in this profession the damage was done so the coach left. Probably found a job before they rescinded their decision to bring him back. When someone asked one of the board members to why they decided they didn't want him they replied "they just didn't like him." I know one year a hometown coach got it and he only had 5 total coaches on his staff to coach 3 football teams in the high school. At the time I think they were 4a. So administrative support/ school board support helps tremendously. 

Injuries...in small ball it's disastrous ..js 

5 hours ago, upullinmychain said:

Injuries...in small ball it's disastrous ..js 

Correct. And ours always come at the worst possible time. 

Ours happen last two games leading up to playoffs..lol