Dave Campbell preseason 4AD2 top 10

lionpride08

3 hours ago, Aledo said:

This is a very rough idea of the potential playoff path for Carthage.

Round 1- 4th place from district 9 (insert team)

Round 2-  2nd place from district 11 (#8 Silsbee)

Round 3- 1st place from district 9 (China Spring?)

Round 4- 1st place from district 11 (#3 WOS)

Round 5- Region 4 winner (#4 Wimberly)

Round 6- Region 1/2 Winner (#2 Pleasant Grove)

Looking like if we do win it this next season the Bulldogs will have earned it. Looks like we’ll be getting the toughest competition in the state.

• Like 1

I would say Carthage's Div. II road to the title would be as tough, if not more tough, than most of the roads they faced in Div. I. I know Region III always gets the nod as the toughest (especially in Div. I), but, apart from a few exceptions, that's always been BECAUSE Carthage is in that Region. Kilgore and Henderson have had some good years, but neither of those two teams would have made it to the Div. II final in the last few seasons, except for maybe one (I'm thinking 2016, could be wrong). And some of Carthage's toughest Div. I playoff games came against teams they'll now face in the Div. II bracket (China Spring, Silsbee).

If the bracket fell like Aledo drew it up, then I'd mark 2020 as Carthage's toughest Regional postseason run in the last five years, with perhaps 2016 as the only counterpoint. And, as Carthage fans will probably tell you, 2016 was the little team that could. I don't think many of the Bulldog faithful had that season marked as a guarantee, yet, we know how it turned out. Could be something similar this year for Surratt's crew. Time will tell (hopefully!).

• Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 6:09 PM, Aledo said:

This is a very rough idea of the potential playoff path for Carthage.

Round 1- 4th place from district 9 (insert team)

Round 2-  2nd place from district 11 (#8 Silsbee)

Round 3- 1st place from district 9 (China Spring?)

Round 4- 1st place from district 11 (#3 WOS)

Round 5- Region 4 winner (#4 Wimberly)

Round 6- Region 1/2 Winner (#2 Pleasant Grove)

Silsbee will have a lot returning  more speed than last year   8 returning  back that will ave about close two 287 pounds across the  OL  all state sprinter at WR 17 TDs last year and a jv THAT ONLY LOST TO WO-S  going to be a good test  for  Carthage  .

16 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Last year Wimberley came out of nowhere and played PG decent in the championship. I thought they would get manhandled. Cuero the year before that and used one guy at Jerry world lol.

Who in Region 4 would you say can play with Carthage right now?  Who in Region 1 can play with PG?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sportsguru02 said:

I honestly wouldn’t put WOS or Wimberly in front of us but we all know rankings don’t mean anything come Friday nights 

I'm alright with WOS being where they are. They had a really young team last year, but lots of talent. And I think Coach Thompson gets the nod over Coach Metzel at this point. The Wimberley pick ... I don't know. That's probably more because they made it to the title game last year than anything. But they lost some key pieces from that group, so I would probably have Gilmer ahead.

But flipping from No. 5 to No. 4 on the preseason top 10 list is just semantics to be quite honest. And, in my opinion, there's still a decent gap between No. 1 and 2 and the rest of the list.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

I believe they can hang with them just not beat them.

Same. I think Gilmer will be able to hang with Carthage, especially at that point of the season. Don't know if the Buckeyes will win. But it might be the slight boost of confidence Gilmer, and Coach Metzel, need to cruise into that district title matchup with PG and then the postseason. And if the Buckeyes get their mojo back, look out.

1 minute ago, Eagleborn said:

By mojo are you referring to move ins or transfers? 

Have they gotten any? I'd be out of the loop on that. I'm not an East Texan, and certainly not a Gilmer fan. Just referring to what the Buckeye faithful would probably refer to as the "Traylor" mojo.

8 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Have they gotten any? I'd be out of the loop on that. I'm not an East Texan, and certainly not a Gilmer fan. Just referring to what the Buckeye faithful would probably refer to as the "Traylor" mojo.

They got one, but he was ruled ineligible be the DEC and State UIL committee.  Now he is going to Trinity to play for Deon in the Fall.

On 6/15/2020 at 6:54 PM, powerlifter said:

Silsbee will have a lot returning  more speed than last year   8 returning  back that will ave about close two 287 pounds across the  OL  all state sprinter at WR 17 TDs last year and a jv THAT ONLY LOST TO WO-S  going to be a good test  for  Carthage  .

Silsbee is Silsbee.  Always has speed.

A decent foundation with Returning Starters but will be fielding several new faces across both sides, though there is some serious talent there.  

It remains to be seen how it develops by playoff time.  Either way we will be facing the Bulldogs eventually if it plays out.

Nothing new for us.  Or Carthage for that matter.

On 6/15/2020 at 6:54 PM, powerlifter said:

A decent foundation with Returning Starters but will be fielding several new faces across both sides, though there is some serious talent there.  

It remains to be seen how it develops by playoff time.  Either way we will be facing the Bulldogs eventually if it plays out.

8 hours ago, silsbee92 said:

Silsbee will have a chance to see where they stack up in mid-September. I can't see them upsetting PG then, but it'll be a good test. Could be exactly what the Tigers need to set up a run for the District 11 title. Going to be some nasty matchups in that Region III bracket this fall.