4a Division 1

Coach1990

On 6/16/2020 at 7:00 AM, d0tc0m said:

Sounds like Argyle will still be loaded. It will basically come down to whether or not they can get over the La Vega hump in the Region II final. The Eagles will get tested early in non-district, that's for sure, with matchups against Nolan Catholic, Pleasant Grove, Celina and La Vega.

Yeah......that's like a murderer's row start, for sure.  I don't think you can say anything but positives about any of those 4 teams that Argyle will face in predistrict.  Argyle is in a 7-team district......so they will play 6 district games and only 4 predistrict games.  They will take their Bye Week after the 4th week and before they begin district play.

4 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Yeah......that's like a murderer's row start, for sure.  I don't think you can say anything but positives about any of those 4 teams that Argyle will face in predistrict.  Argyle is in a 7-team district......so they will play 6 district games and only 4 predistrict games.  They will take their Bye Week after the 4th week and before they begin district play.

Even if the Eagles drop a game or two in that slate, they’ll be fine. I forgot that they’re returning one of the best offensive lines in the state. That’s a huge, huge factor. If they do improve that defense, even just a little bit, I think this could truly be their year. But who knows. Just hope we have a full season!

10 minutes ago, slyone said:

Definitely keep an eye on El Campo. They have really good young skill guys. 

I have heard a lot about these young El Campo skill guys.  Highly recruited.  I have also heard EC only returns 2 OL that are incoming Jr’s.  Last I checked if the RB doesn’t get past the LOS before getting hit he will likely not be very productive, regardless of how good he is.  Seems to me EC May still be a year away from turning heads.

14 hours ago, StillALion said:

Not sure why but there’s not just a list with the teams and rankings anywhere on there  ... that I have seen at least.  Every team in the state has a post on their home page called “2020 (Team Name) Team Preview” and their preseason rank for their class and division is on there under “General Information.”  Here’s the one for Kilgore:

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/high-schools/kilgore-bulldogs-(kilgore,tx)/football/team_preview.htm

B7EDAF32-C98E-41C7-BCE6-9B99AF8F4B3F.jpeg

Interesting. Thank you.

It took me forever to figure out where it was. You'd think it would be on the main page without all the digging.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 11:45 PM, Raiderfan7000 said:

Put Palestine lower Athens has a lot to prove and Chapel Hill being somewhat competitive. Three team race for first. If I had to pick don t know who was returning.

1. Kilgore 

2. lindale

3. Henderson 

4. Chapel Hill

Palestine

Athens 

Mabank

^^The insider Lion70 is back breaking down districts for us :rofl:

On 6/17/2020 at 5:18 PM, KildogDad said:

Kilgore returns: QB Dalton McElyea (honorable mention all-district), RB Trey Epps (second team all-district), Donovan Adkins (first team all-district DB), Brian Brown (first team all-district at WR, second team all-district at LB), OLB Davin Rider (District Defensive Newcomer of the Year), Kaden Kenney (first team all-district DE), Trey Williams (second team all-district DL), Dalton Smith (second team all-district DB).

Also Jermaine Romey, who was injured for a majority of last year, comes highly touted.

That's from looking at the roster from Maxpreps from last year. There are a few more, but thanks to Covid, we did some house cleaning and I can't find my program from last year.

I mean that sounds really good. And, i know they'll have some Sophomores on Varsity as well. Ive heard that the offense will look different and the defense will look different.  So i really dont know what to believe lol.

1 hour ago, HJR7 said:

I mean that sounds really good. And, i know they'll have some Sophomores on Varsity as well. Ive heard that the offense will look different and the defense will look different.  So i really dont know what to believe lol.

Looking forward to the new looks!

Watch for one of the new D1 teams to make a lot of noise. Calallen, Calhoun, or Miller. Usually teams dropping from the higher class make a lot of noise their 1st couple years. Kilgore, Henderson, Stephenville, and El Campo all had a ton of success in the 1st  couple of years. Wouldn’t be surprised if Phil Danaher gets his 1st state championship next year. La Vega is always going to be there as long as Don Hyde is the coach, and they have those athletes. Argyle and Lampasas should be good. Pretty heavy at the top of D1 this year. Should be a fun season to follow. La Vega vs Calallen at Jerry World would be my pick.

6 hours ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Watch for one of the new D1 teams to make a lot of noise. Calallen, Calhoun, or Miller. Usually teams dropping from the higher class make a lot of noise their 1st couple years. Kilgore, Henderson, Stephenville, and El Campo all had a ton of success in the 1st  couple of years. Wouldn’t be surprised if Phil Danaher gets his 1st state championship next year. La Vega is always going to be there as long as Don Hyde is the coach, and they have those athletes. Argyle and Lampasas should be good. Pretty heavy at the top of D1 this year. Should be a fun season to follow. La Vega vs Calallen at Jerry World would be my pick.

I'd keep an eye on Alice, too, another dropdown in that same district with Calallen, PLC and Miller. Probably the toughest district in 4A.

As far as favorites to get to Jerry World, if I had to pick right now, I'd say La Vega and Lampasas. Ace Whitehead is the real deal for the Badgers, and they were a breath away from making it to the title game a year ago.

• LOL! 1

7 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

I'd keep an eye on Alice, too, another dropdown in that same district with Calallen, PLC and Miller. Probably the toughest district in 4A.

As far as favorites to get to Jerry World, if I had to pick right now, I'd say La Vega and Lampasas. Ace Whitehead is the real deal for the Badgers, and they were a breath away from making it to the title game a year ago.

Region 4 went from ok, to the toughest region real quick.

On 6/24/2020 at 6:33 AM, d0tc0m said:

Don't forget about Beeville Jones in District 15 also. Crazy that a 11-1 team from last year might be the projected 4th or 5th team in the district and could miss the playoffs. 

9 hours ago, Coach1990 said:

Don't forget about Beeville Jones in District 15 also. Crazy that a 11-1 team from last year might be the projected 4th or 5th team in the district and could miss the playoffs. 

Geeze, I did forget about the Trojans! That is a true District of Doom this season. There will be one or two legitimately good teams not even in the playoffs from D15. And you’ll probably see the 4th place team play a couple rounds deep.