The Smoakhouse Forums

1 hour ago, WhoamI97539 said:

Kilgore's updated football schedule 

Carthage 

Terrell 

Alvarado 

These 3 teams are replacing Nacogdoches, Hallsville, and Pine Tree

Nice pickups one decent win, one should be a , great rivalry game. Covid brought a good lesson never give up your rivalry games . Good job Kilgore, Henderson take notes.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Deep playoff run. Dropping in classification sometimes gives a already good team confidence. 

Yes definitely Kilgor should be competitive. I do agree HJR7 in the sense that they were a .500 team returning only half their starters. But you never know.

Glad your coach played Carthage. Rivalry no matter how lopsided always are fun. Kilgore will be a lot to handle this year. 

Posted Images

On 7/23/2020 at 10:22 AM, WhoamI97539 said:

Kilgore's updated football schedule 

Carthage 

Terrell 

Alvarado 

These 3 teams are replacing Nacogdoches, Hallsville, and Pine Tree

We went from the Maxpreps #765 (Nac), #827 (Hallsville), and #276 (PT) overall state-ranked teams to #15 (Cartridge), #870 (Terrell), and #308 (Alvarado).  

On 7/27/2020 at 4:09 PM, KildogDad said:

We went from the Maxpreps #765 (Nac), #827 (Hallsville), and #276 (PT) overall state-ranked teams to #15 (Cartridge), #870 (Terrell), and #308 (Alvarado).  

Glad your coach played Carthage. Rivalry no matter how lopsided always are fun. Kilgore will be a lot to handle this year. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

The Carthage Kilgore rivalry isn’t lopsided, even in the Surratt era. Surratt is 6-3 against the K-Dogs. Almost all the games have been close, except on this current run from 2017-2019 where Carthage is 3-0 and outscored Kilgore 147-54. And before Surratt arrived Kilgore had dominated Carthage for a long time.

• Like 1

With what LeVega brings back. 
looks like WOS bit off way more than they should have. 
LeVega May have the best team that they have ever had this year. 
Just my opinion from a team loaded with Jr. and Sophomores on last years state championship game. 

12 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Just my opinion from a team loaded with Jr. and Sophomores on last years state championship game. 

glad carthage is gone. Arygle got this .

On 6/23/2020 at 11:35 PM, BulldogBacker12 said:

Watch for one of the new D1 teams to make a lot of noise. Calallen, Calhoun, or Miller. Usually teams dropping from the higher class make a lot of noise their 1st couple years. Kilgore, Henderson, Stephenville, and El Campo all had a ton of success in the 1st  couple of years. Wouldn’t be surprised if Phil Danaher gets his 1st state championship next year. La Vega is always going to be there as long as Don Hyde is the coach, and they have those athletes. Argyle and Lampasas should be good. Pretty heavy at the top of D1 this year. Should be a fun season to follow. La Vega vs Calallen at Jerry World would be my pick.

Vidor moving down to 104AD1 in Reg 3.    According to SETXSPORTS preview, returning 7 & 7.   Could make a good run.  As posted before, without Carthage, it’s wide open.

Btw, Week one will see La Vega vs WOS.   That should be one of the great opening season games.

On 8/1/2020 at 7:38 PM, Sportsfanatic1 said:

I "think" I read in the LNJ where Henderson lost 19-21 starters? Can anyone confirm that?

Per DCTF Henderson returns 23 letterman and lost 31.  They return 1 starter on O and 3 on D.  So yeah they are replacing 18 starters.

• Like 1
On 7/30/2020 at 8:45 PM, cowboyandchrist said:

I am thinking 2015 was their best team ever  judging from what we saw in LV in December I highly doubt this upcoming year will be the best team they ever had.

Saying that does not mean LV won’t win state with ease this year. However, I am sticking to my prediction of Lampasas  ring the state champions in the upcoming season.

10 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I am thinking 2015 was their best team ever  judging from what we saw in LV in December I highly doubt this upcoming year will be the best team they ever had.

Saying that does not mean LV won’t win state with ease this year. However, I am sticking to my prediction of Lampasas  ring the state champions in the upcoming season.

I may be wrong but the defense brings back 7 or 8. 
the offense brings back a bunch. 
they will replace QB and wide receivers. 
Not sure about O line. 
That young defense destroyed Argyle in the playoffs. 
you maybe right about 2015, their secondary was loaded. 
can’t judge them on the Carthage 2015 team, they were missing 7 maybe 8 starters. 

• Like 1

I didn't get a chance to see Carthage's ridiculous trio of linebackers a few years ago, and I know they were very good. But La Vega's LB corps from last year is one of the best I've ever seen at the HS level. Elite speed, elite vision, tremendous playmaking ability. Hard-hitting ball hawks. I was really impressed. If they bring those guys back, their defense will be really, really good.

1 hour ago, d0tc0m said:

I didn't get a chance to see Carthage's ridiculous trio of linebackers a few years ago, and I know they were very good. But La Vega's LB corps from last year is one of the best I've ever seen at the HS level. Elite speed, elite vision, tremendous playmaking ability. Hard-hitting ball hawks. I was really impressed. If they bring those guys back, their defense will be really, really good.

They were without their best LB against Carthage in the state championship game, but I’d put either of Carthage’s top two linebackers from the 2017 state championship team up against him, Gates and Brown. 
Carthage’s 2017 LB corp was better than 2019 LV LB corp. 

28 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

They were without their best LB against Carthage in the state championship game, but I’d put either of Carthage’s top two linebackers from the 2017 state championship team up against him, Gates and Brown. 
Carthage’s 2017 LB corp was better than 2019 LV LB corp. 

I don't doubt it, saw videos of Gates/Brown and heard they were something else to see live. But that's a high ceiling! LV's 2019 group was still very talented.

1 minute ago, d0tc0m said:

I don't doubt it, saw videos of Gates/Brown and heard they were something else to see live. But that's a high ceiling! LV's 2019 group was still very talented.

Agreed.

Early report from Argyle is that QB CJ Rogers came in very strong and crisp and looks like a starter from last season.  He will not best Hogeboom's 57  TD's last season and 3700 yds passing, but should not have to rely so much this season on those kind of numbers.  Hogeboom threw for an Argyle record of 101 TD passes at Argyle in his two seasons at QB.  They said Rogers was throwing bullets on time and on target to the Eagles speediest reciever Cole Kirkpatrick.

On 6/16/2020 at 7:00 AM, d0tc0m said:

Sounds like Argyle will still be loaded. It will basically come down to whether or not they can get over the La Vega hump in the Region II final. The Eagles will get tested early in non-district, that's for sure, with matchups against Nolan Catholic, Pleasant Grove, Celina and La Vega.

Looks like Argyle has rescheduled their opener to be against Decatur(12-1 last season) instead of Nolan Catholic for some reason......August 29th in Argyle.  Decatur has Landon Howell coming back at QB for his senior season......he can definitely put up some big numbers and can be mobile.  He's like CJ Rogers alot......about 6-3/180 and a good basketball player too. Should be a good battle to start the season out and should be interesting watching these two QB's that have similar athletic size and skill sets.

Evidently Nolan Catholic(11-1 last season) will not be playing their first game of the season until Sept. 11th......against Red Oak(5A-D1).  Looks like they have pushed back their schedule due to Covid and dropped the Argyle game from their season opener.  They also dropped their next game the following week and will not have a Bye Week this season.