Dave Campbell/AP 5a d2 preseason rankings

lionpride08

1 hour ago, BlackShirtD said:

I’m going out on a limb and betting that Texas High will be in the hunt at the end of the season.   Are they in the top 20?

Texas High is #20

Marshall #13

9 hours ago, dillonpanthers said:

how good will Texas High be?

I’m expecting them to be very good. 
District title favorites. 
Possible nice playoff run. 

But hopefully tested (if not beaten) by Marshall. lol.  # homer

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BlackShirtD said:

I see Texas High & Marshall playing FB Marshall and B Hill in round 3 or 4 and never know what may happen.  

I’ll take 3-4 rounds deep (or more) anytime.   

I just....

What are the reservations with Texas High? I am really high on them and have been all offseason but th masses dont seem to agree.

4 on offense returning with QB Rian Cellers (comitted to Miss St for baseball), WR Caden Miller, LG Demarcus Day and RT Hayden Harrell

7 on defense returning in TX High's 4-2-5 set with DE Jaylen Green, DE/OLB Clayton Smith, LB Jackson Halter, LB Javarous Tyson, S Caleb Arnold, S Darrin Finley and DB Lajontae Wrightner

Several others returning who saw significant PT. 

Its important that they stay healthy when I say this, but they're my early pick to win their region. IMO, they should straight up have a top 5 defense in all of 5AD2.

12 hours ago, BuckNut said:

Pine Tree should be good this year they have a good senior class.  They could surprise Marshall or T High

Monstrous offensively.

I'm just not sure they have the defense to beat T-High.

That Marshall game could be high scoring though.

7 hours ago, BuckNut said:

Pine Tree should be good this year they have a good senior class.  They could surprise Marshall or T High

Pine Tree returns 8 offensive and 8 defensive starters back along the District Champion JV added to the mix.

THE key for the Pirates is IF they can improve on defense ? 

QB DJ Freeman is almost certainly the Pre-Season favorite for District MVP or argueably one of the leading candidates.

I'd have to say PT should be considered the dark horse to contend with Marshall and Texas High.

RJ

4 hours ago, RandyJohnson said:

QB DJ Freeman is almost certainly the Pre-Season favorite for District MVP or argueably one of the leading candidates.

I remember seeing Freeman his freshman year when Longview scrimmaged PT back in 2017 and I said, this dude was going to be special.

Had he been 6'1, he'd be the highest recruited QB in ETX right now. 

Going into HS, I really thought he was going to end up across town...he played pop warner ball with several Lobos like Meredith and Pencheon.

• Like 1

I don’t see how anyone can dispute Texas High is the favorite for the district title considering what they have coming back.... esp at QB. 

And that playoff win was pretty epic last season.   I know LP was struggling.  But to go on the road and win like that in a hostile environment like Abe.... Wowzers. 

Don't get me wrong though.... I think Marshall will be improved from 2019.  Especially on defense. I think we’ll be much stingier than we were last season.  

I think the running game will be better than it was in 2019 too.  The question mark is the QB. We have several guys fighting for a spot... all with different skill sets.  Going to come down to which direction the coaching staff decides to go with the offense.  Tons of talent coming back on the O line and WR corps. 

Im not ready to concede the district title.  But I certainly see why THS is the favorite.  They way they ended their season is pretty dang impressive.  

Marshall was just (as usual) unlucky as hell with the playoffs.  Huntsville was barely a playoff team without their starting QB.  But WITH him.... they were top 10.  Of course he came back the week the playoffs started.  No excuses.  They beat us down and we laid an egg...  

I have high hopes this season if it happens.  Expecting another fun ride! 

27 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I don’t see how anyone can dispute Texas High is the favorite for the district title considering what they have coming back.... esp at QB. 

And that playoff win was pretty epic last season.   I know LP was struggling.  But to go on the road and win like that in a hostile environment like Abe.... Wowzers. 

Don't get me wrong though.... I think Marshall will be improved from 2019.  Especially on defense. I think we’ll be much stingier than we were last season.  

I think the running game will be better than it was in 2019 too.  The question mark is the QB. We have several guys fighting for a spot... all with different skill sets.  Going to come down to which direction the coaching staff decides to go with the offense.  Tons of talent coming back on the O line and WR corps. 

Im not ready to concede the district title.  But I certainly see why THS is the favorite.  They way they ended their season is pretty dang impressive.  

Marshall was just (as usual) unlucky as hell with the playoffs.  Huntsville was barely a playoff team without their starting QB.  But WITH him.... they were top 10.  Of course he came back the week the playoffs started.  No excuses.  They beat us down and we laid an egg...  

I have high hopes this season if it happens.  Expecting another fun ride! 

Since you didn’t include Pine Tree in your post at all I’m guessing you disagree with Randy Johnson?  😂

1 hour ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Since you didn’t include Pine Tree in your post at all I’m guessing you disagree with Randy Johnson?  😂

I actually completely agree with Randy. 

If PT’s defense improves they will be a force this season. Their offense will be good enough to keep them in any game.   Problem will be how much they give up.  

Our game with them last season was a debacle.   

We built a huge lead.......38-19 or something like that in the second half.  And we just packed up and went home while the Pirates gave us the business in the fourth quarter.    They used a couple of onside kicks and a last second score to make it closer than it was.

If Marshall had kept the foot on the gas.... it should have been a blowout.  But we got lazy and PT kept playing hard.

I absolutely believe PT can contend if their defense gels.  If not..... I think THS and Marshall are still a few ticks ahead of them. 

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 8:35 AM, Aledo said:

Yall are very impressive going 5 for 5 in state title games! But equally impressive yall are 0 and 2 verse Aledo in the playoffs 😉

Yes true ,  both close.  Last year Ennis could have ended that game with 2pt conversion. I know they did not make the attempt. But that is ok.  Even let Aledo convert a 4th and 13 ( I think ) But that's how football goes lol . 3rd times a charm

2 hours ago, VonG said:

The fact that the story was tagged for Whitehouse is the funniest thing I’ve seen since Ebola. 

Seriously.  The eye roll factor is OFF the chart.