South Texas/RGV vs. Central Texas

Coach1990

I have said it for yrs, the Metroplex schools in Region 1 and the Austin/San Antonio schools in Region 4 got it much easier than schools in Region 2 and 3.

Sure every now and then,  a Midland/Odessa/Abilene school wins Region 1, and every blue moon a Lubbock/Amarillo team, but 95% of the time its a metroplex school.  And the same for Region 4 for the Austin/San Antonio schools accept Calallen, but they dropped to 4a. 

I think Aledo, Lake Travis, Westlake etc are great schools, who would probably win it regardless, but their playoff runs are a bit easier than schools from Region 2 and 3. 

Thats why I think the UIL should do somthing like a lottery.  Keep the top 4 district team format, but instead of facing the adjacent district, maybe they play another district in another part of the state. For example, maybe district 1 plays district 6 in first round instead of district 2.   I do admit, travel would be a nightmare. 

2 minutes ago, Aledo said:

If you take some time to get a lay of the land in 5AD2 R4 then its really not bold at all. Most people on the 5A site would say Pioneer is on the short list of possible region 4 winners. 

picking a RGV team is always a bold prediction. History tells us that.  But again...I'm rooting for them.  so I hope it happens. 

Yeah in 6a you don't have very many. Edinburg Vela, Laredo United always make it to the 3rd round but get bounced by Westlake of a San Antonio School. Weslaco made it but got handled by Lake Travis. Maybe another Laredo school could make it to the 3rd round but obviously to make it to the Regional Championship you have to beat a Austin or SA school. 5a D1 you have McAllen memorial that dropped down. I know offensively  they have been lucky to have the best back in the RGV (The Speights Brothers, Bradley Stephens earlier) which isn't bad but to get past to the regional championship you might need more. Not sure what they have coming back but might have a shot . 5a D2  Sharyland Pioneer and Mission Veterans Memorial like others have said earlier.