The Smoakhouse Forums
BoHogg

https://www.statesman.com/news01/20200623/with-covid-cases-at-all-time-high-abbott-tells-texans-to-stay-home

In noon-time TV interviews, Gov. Greg Abbott said that Texas is hitting an all-time high for COVID-19 cases Tuesday and told Texans to stay home unless they need to be out.

"Texas will report an all-time high in the number of cases of people testing positive of more than 5,000," Abbott said in an interview on KBTX. "The hospitalization rate is at an all-time high. Coronavirus is spreading in Brazos County and across the entire state of Texas, which is exactly why action is being taken."

"We want to make sure everyone reinforces the best safe practices of wearing a mask, hand sanitation, maintaining safe distance, but importantly, because the spread is so rapid right now, there's never a reason for you to have to leave your home unless you need to go out," Abbott said. "The safest place for you is at your home."

• Like 1

If he locks down businesses it's going to kill them.  Many famous establishments in Houston have already closed or they are about to.  I have yet to hear of him implementing that yet.  

Does it say how many deaths from the virus I haven't seen a daily death toll from Texas in a while

8 minutes ago, Wild74 said:

Does it say how many deaths from the virus I haven't seen a daily death toll from Texas in a while

That can be found here :  https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/ed483ecd702b4298ab01e8b9cafc8b83  .  

120,370 Total Cases so far, 70,714 recovered, 47,436 active cases, 2,220 dead.  That would actually give Texas a current survival rate of 98.16% of those who have contracted the virus thus far.  That number should inch up a bit with 47,436 active cases at the current time.  We do not know the window of time that the 47,436 contracted the virus or how many contracted the virus yesterday or today.  I know the lines were long for testing at the Cy Fair High School that I drove by today.  So more people are being tested.  When I drove by the Sam Houston Race Park two weeks ago there were only the health workers present.  They shut it down.  There were what looked like between 100-200 cars in line for people to be tested at Cy Fair today.  

12 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

That can be found here :  https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/ed483ecd702b4298ab01e8b9cafc8b83  .  

120,370 Total Cases so far, 70,714 recovered, 47,436 active cases, 2,220 dead.  That would actually give Texas a current survival rate of 98.16% of those who have contracted the virus thus far.  That number should inch up a bit with 47,436 active cases at the current time.  We do not know the window of time that the 47,436 contracted the virus or how many contracted the virus yesterday or today.  I know the lines were long for testing at the Cy Fair High School that I drove by today.  So more people are being tested.  When I drove by the Sam Houston Race Park two weeks ago there were only the health workers present.  They shut it down.  There were what looked like between 100-200 cars in line for people to be tested at Cy Fair today.  

Thanks Dave looks like the death rate is steady in the big cities I know my small county has dropped in the death rate. 

33 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

That should say of those that tested positive so far.  There are likely hundreds of thousands more that had it that were not tested.  That will make the survival rate even higher.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

That should say of those that tested positive so far.  There are likely hundreds of thousands more that had it that were not tested.  That will make the survival rate even higher.

I wonder if the protest had anything to do with the rapid rise in new cases

4 minutes ago, Wild74 said:

I wonder if the protest had anything to do with the rapid rise in new cases

Not sure.  Probably didn't help.  But I'm for opening everything up and let grown as$ people decide if they want to be around other people.  If not, stay at the house.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

What is the survival rate for someone in their 20's catching coronavirus?

Call (512) 338-6501 tomorrow and speak with Hellerstedt, John W MD Hellerstedt, Commissioner TXDSHS

2 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

If he locks down businesses it's going to kill them.  Many famous establishments in Houston have already closed or they are about to.  I have yet to hear of him implementing that yet.  

Houston specific...

Abbot rapidly changing things...

Gov. Greg Abbott on Tuesday directed a state health agency to enact new safety standards for child care centers during the coronavirus — more than a week after prior rules for the centers were made optional.

His order, which comes as new COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations surge in the state, doesn’t immediately make clear what the standards will be, though a spokesman for the governor told The Texas Tribune that the state health commission will be releasing the guidelines Wednesday. A spokesperson for the Health and Human Services Commission said Tuesday evening that the emergency rules are still in development.

Abbott also on Tuesday gave local officials the green light to impose more restrictions on public gatherings of more than 100 people. Previously, local officials could only regulate outdoor gatherings of more than 500 people.

Sounds like Abbott needs to quit hanging out with all those san fran transplants in austin and get out amongst us native texans.

• Like 1
  • Roll Eyes 1

Covid is dumb. Let’s move on already. 

1 hour ago, Youngcoach123 said:

Covid is dumb. Let’s move on already. 

Democrats are gonna to use it till Election Day. 

3 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Democrats are gonna to use it till Election Day. 

Democrats are telling the Texas GOP governor what to say?

1 minute ago, BoHogg said:

Democrats are telling the Texas GOP governor what to say?

No doubt it. Using  fear is not a way to get things accomplished. 

1 hour ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

No doubt it. Using  fear is not a way to get things accomplished. 

I have ZERO belief that the Democratic Party is dictating a single thing that Governor Abbott says. He has not shown himself to be a big 'reach across the aisle' kinda guy. A politician, sure, and no dummy, while definitely a Trumpite, but he is getting information that there is a real issue that could be getting much worse, and he has to respond to it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

I have ZERO belief that the Democratic Party is dictating a single thing that Governor Abbott says. He has not shown himself to be a big 'reach across the aisle' kinda guy. A politician, sure, and no dummy, while definitely a Trumpite, but he is getting information that there is a real issue that could be getting much worse, and he has to respond to it. 

I can agree with that. The Democrats as a whole won’t waste this kinda of drama.

1 hour ago, BarryLaverty said:

Oh no, the flu is going to spread even more!!!!! 
LMFAO!!

1 hour ago, Youngcoach123 said:

Oh no, the flu is going to spread even more!!!!! 
LMFAO!!

Oh, no, anywhere from 150 to 200 thousand people might die in the US, which completely dwarfs the number of flu deaths, and there is no vaccine or completely settled cure! It's so funny. 🙄

1 hour ago, BarryLaverty said:

Oh, no, anywhere from 150 to 200 thousand people might die in the US, which completely dwarfs the number of flu deaths, and there is no vaccine or completely settled cure! It's so funny. 🙄

Mites are on a chickens  butt