Clarksville

dillonpanthers

52 minutes ago, dogs3505 said:

Anyone know anything about Clarksville?  Athletes? Admin?

Sad deal.  Clarksville was middle of the road 3A in the early 2000's.  Town dried up. Robert Manley had the place rocking a few years ago.  Had major talent at the time.  I thought firing Coach Dawaski Davis was a mistake.  There will always be athletes in CV.  Just motivation and grade issues will always be an issue.  No clue about current admin.  Wish Clarksville could return to better days.  

1 hour ago, oldhornet said:

Sad deal.  Clarksville was middle of the road 3A in the early 2000's.  Town dried up. Robert Manley had the place rocking a few years ago.  Had major talent at the time.  I thought firing Coach Dawaski Davis was a mistake.  There will always be athletes in CV.  Just motivation and grade issues will always be an issue.  No clue about current admin.  Wish Clarksville could return to better days.  

Seems like they make the playoffs most years and have their share of athletes.  My observation the last few years has been the team hasn't been very disciplined or motivated.  Seems like it could be a fit for a good coach looking for that first HC job...if they could get the admin and town to buy in.  Not always easy to do.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Well Clarksville is like 85-90% black. Young black men tend to respond better if they have a black coach. Assistant or head coach doesn’t matter I don’t guess. But that presence needs to be there for them. Hell I’m white. I got this from a black coach/friend. How is a white guy going to relate to young black men? 

I know what you are saying, but it works out okay in most places. 

THey made a good hire.  Guy can coach.  What I would worry about is how Clarksville is drying up and blowing away.  The last time I was in the area six years ago they did not have a JV Team for four years running.  I doubt that has changed.  Hard to build a program when you only have twenty kids out for football 9-12.  Also unless they have updated their facilities are some of the worst in the area.  I hate to see it happen to a community like Clarksville but the sad truth is that small towns are growing smaller all over Texas.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 9:46 AM, oldhornet said:

What happened? Why did the town dry up? 

1 minute ago, Valhalla said:

Probably the same reasons most of the small towns in East Texas are dying.

I understand that but the Clarksville story just seems more drastic. A middle of the road 3A county seat town dwindling down to what it currently is at in that amount of time seems out of the ordinary. I was just curious why? Maybe a factory or plant with some big revenue shut down?