Clarksville

dillonpanthers

1 hour ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

In 2011 we played them in Clarksville. As we came into town I noticed a population sign that had a pretty big number on it. Definitely not 1A (at that time) numbers. Census done in 2010 so it was fairly accurate. Don’t know what it is now. As I walked into the stadium I asked the guard how in the hell is this a 1A school with a population like that. He said all the white kids drive to surrounding schools. 

That’s crazy

On 6/25/2020 at 9:46 AM, oldhornet said:

Sad deal.  Clarksville was middle of the road 3A in the early 2000's.  Town dried up. Robert Manley had the place rocking a few years ago.  Had major talent at the time.  I thought firing Coach Dawaski Davis was a mistake.  There will always be athletes in CV.  Just motivation and grade issues will always be an issue.  No clue about current admin.  Wish Clarksville could return to better days.  

I think there was a thread on here a couple yrs ago about Clarksville.  If you look at the TEA transfer reports, about 1/3 of the kids in Clarksville transfer out to Avery and Detroit. With a few more to Rivercrest ISD.    It's not uncommon for transfers, but 1/3 is alot, especially for a small town.  If you can get that solved, then you could probably get more stability in the athletic dept. 

Born there and lived there alot of my life,that being said with minimal wages and no real upward mobility,I chose the path of many of my fellow citizens. I took my small family and moved away from my birthplace,and the final resting place of nearly a hundred family members in cemeteries spanning most of red river county, I was literally forced to go away and find gainful employment where my children would be afforded a greater opportunity to succeed.wasnt white flight,it was absolute desperation for a future for my family.clarksvile is dying and that is that.lack of any similarities to a thriving economy and budding future,it’s youth will be forced like myself to leave and not come back till my final internment in my family plot at Fairview cemetery.   Chain out ✌️

2 hours ago, upullinmychain said:

Born there and lived there alot of my life,that being said with minimal wages and no real upward mobility,I chose the path of many of my fellow citizens. I took my small family and moved away from my birthplace,and the final resting place of nearly a hundred family members in cemeteries spanning most of red river county, I was literally forced to go away and find gainful employment where my children would be afforded a greater opportunity to succeed.wasnt white flight,it was absolute desperation for a future for my family.clarksvile is dying and that is that.lack of any similarities to a thriving economy and budding future,it’s youth will be forced like myself to leave and not come back till my final internment in my family plot at Fairview cemetery.   Chain out ✌️

Unfortunately you just described much of small town America.  Clarksville is more extreme.  If your small town is within 35 miles of a moderate sized town like Gilmer is it can be a great place to live and raise a family if your town is isolated it is tough to survive.

I finished HS in Clarksville in 1972.  At that time the average class size was around 140 to 150.  To our misfortune we were in the Dist with MP,, LE, SS, DF, Pit. Etc.  Clarksville was a then 3A school for at least 4 years before moving down a classification. The people my age probably are the first generation to start leaving for employment.  The Walmart move put most of the local owned businesses out of business.  City/ county hospitals begin to close, and larger businesses closed the smaller factories and consolidated in larger areas or over seas.  We moved and raised our families at other locations. White flight has some merit but you can take the total number of students in Rivercrest, Avery, Detroit and Cville and add them together an they still won’t add up to Clarksville’s numbers in the 70’s/80’s