Movie Suggestions

topher805

With Houston clamping down again, looking for good movie suggestions. I have watches Ford vs Ferrari, Midway, and Joker this week. All very good movies. Not sure what next though. 1917 is on the watch list for sure, but I don't know where to go now...Suggestions???

10 hours ago, topher805 said:

With Houston clamping down again, looking for good movie suggestions. I have watches Ford vs Ferrari, Midway, and Joker this week. All very good movies. Not sure what next though. 1917 is on the watch list for sure, but I don't know where to go now...Suggestions???

I love old movies. Check out some film noir movies from the ‘40’s or 50’s with Humphrey Bogart, George Raft, Dick Powell, etc. Or maybe an old gangster movie with the same actors but also including Edward G. Robinson.

If you want a sports movie watch Knute Rockne All American. It stars Pat O’Brien and Ronald Reagan as the Gipper. It was made in the 40’s.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2020 at 8:12 AM, Hookemhorns88 said:

I love old movies. Check out some film noir movies from the ‘40’s or 50’s with Humphrey Bogart, George Raft, Dick Powell, etc. Or maybe an old gangster movie with the same actors but also including Edward G. Robinson.

If you want a sports movie watch Knute Rockne All American. It stars Pat O’Brien and Ronald Reagan as the Gipper. It was made in the 40’s.

Saw Key Largo this past week. Once you got into the rhythm of it, wasn’t a bad movie.

Waiting- if you’ve ever worked in a restaurant you’ll get it. A little vulgar but what isn’t nowadays.

Almost Famous- one of the best growing up, I’m with band, movies around

Instant Family- a modern comedy (cussing) with a pretty good message

11 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Saw Key Largo this past week. Once you got into the rhythm of it, wasn’t a bad movie.

Waiting- if you’ve ever worked in a restaurant you’ll get it. A little vulgar but what isn’t nowadays.

Watch all of the old ones that you can while you still can without them being all edited!

Here is another one for you:

Easy Living starring Victor Mature.  it was filmed in 1949.  Mature is a football player that has a heart condition, a nagging wife, and the team secretary who loves him.  It is melodramatic like a lot of movies in the Golden Age but is is enjoyable.  There is one scene towards the end that cracked me up with a WTH moment!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 6:25 PM, Stoney said:

Waiting is a classic. Ryan Reynolds back then was amazing both in Waiting and Van Wilder...

Almost Famous and Dazed and Confused are two movies that I will watch anytime they are on TV...

Haven't caught Instant Family yet, but I'll check it out

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 10:08 PM, topher805 said:

If you can find it, watch "They shall not grow old".

It's a documentary, and I've heard it's brilliant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Shall_Not_Grow_Old

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 10:08 PM, topher805 said:

Secondhand Lions

I like every Mickey Rourke movie up until "Thursday" he had a few after that, but the plastic surgery must have done something to his acting skills.  Ed Norton is another guy that makes great movies.  If you love playing cards watch "Rounders".  I'm trying to think of off the chart movies that are good.  "Falling Down" with Michael Douglas is a solid movie, and I really liked his "The Game".  "North by Northwest" is my favorite Hitchcock film, it still holds up.  Rutger Hauer put out a lot of good movies early on his his career.  "Dragon" turned me onto Bruce Lee movies, and while some of them are campy they're still fun to watch. "Little Big Man" is a long, but good movie to me.  "Dr. Zhivago" is a good movie to watch, and shows where the left wants us to go.  Al Pacino was also in a lot of solid movies throughout his career.  I'll say the same for Robert De Niro.  "Being There" with Peter Sellers is a good movie.

• 2 weeks later...

Seen a pretty good prison movie today. Guy gets framed. Goes through 20 years of hell but finds one best friend and several good buddies inside the pen. The ending has huge payback feels to it but some sketchy Hollywood “would that happen in real life” movie magic. 

On 8/6/2020 at 7:38 PM, Stoney said:

Seen a pretty good prison movie today. Guy gets framed. Goes through 20 years of hell but finds one best friend and several good buddies inside the pen. The ending has huge payback feels to it but some sketchy Hollywood “would that happen in real life” movie magic. 

Sounds similar to An Innocent Man ...

th.jpeg-1.jpg.ab06a851b302e16e199764701a8f32bd.jpg

15 hours ago, Stoney said:

“It Happened One Night” ain’t to bad for a ‘30s comedy.

I have a DVR that is nearly full with movies from the 30's, 40's and 50's that I have recorded off of TCM.  I am sure that it will be worked on pretty heavily this Fall since there probably will not be much, if any, football to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

The Devil All The Time. Coming out on Netflix. Just finished the book. I’m excited to see how this holds up. If you like Southern Gothic type stories this is up your alley. Spider-Man. It. Bucky Barnes. Elvis’ granddaughter. They are in it.

On 8/9/2020 at 3:23 PM, KirtFalcon said:

This was Tom Selleck's best movie role ....

Side note: Selleck should have been cast as Jack Reacher instead of pencil neck Tom Cruise  ....

I’ve heard good things about the Jack Reacher books. Apparently, they missed out by picking Tom Cruise to play him by like a foot and a half.