The 83rd Yamboree Is Canceled

Stoney

It is with our greatest regret, that we inform you the Yamboree Firework Show and the 83rd East Texas Yamboree have been canceled for 2020. This decision comes after much deliberation from The City of Gilmer and Upshur County COVID-19 Committee. Public safety is everyone’s foremost concern. 
We wish each of you a safe and healthy 4th of July celebration, and look forward to planning the 84th East Texas Yamboree.

@DaveTV1 I don’t know about you but I never thought I’d live to see the day there’d be no Yamboree in Gilmer. It’s in October. 4 months away. Wear a mask. Spray some deet. Do whatever in the heck you gotta do in October but cancel it in June? Stoney might have a one man parade down Titus to protest this.

I thought someone came in with private funding for the Fourth of July fireworks.  I don't see why those have to be cancelled, because I could see them two miles away when I lived two miles away from Lindsey Park in Tyler.  I think it's a little early to be cancelling it, but oh well.  I haven't been to the Yamboree since 1988, The Gregg Co. Fair 1990, The East Texas State Fair 1990, and the Texas State Fair 2002.  It was because I would usually buy season tickets to Six Flags that were a lot cheaper being only $45 for all year and $10 for a season parking pass which served a dual purpose with Rangers games.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I thought someone came in with private funding for the Fourth of July fireworks.  I don't see why those have to be cancelled, because I could see them two miles away when I lived two miles away from Lindsey Park in Tyler.  I think it's a little early to be cancelling it, but oh well.  I haven't been to the Yamboree since 1988, The Gregg Co. Fair 1990, The East Texas State Fair 1990, and the Texas State Fair 2002.  It was because I would usually buy season tickets to Six Flags that were a lot cheaper being only $45 for all year and $10 for a season parking pass which served a dual purpose with Rangers games.  

I thought they had it planned out to be a drive in fireworks show. I feel bad for the kids, their families that invested money into their show projects that may not be able to show. That’s scholarship money potentially gone. The economic impact of no Rose Festival or Yamboree will have to be a hit. It is what it is.

7 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I thought they had it planned out to be a drive in fireworks show. I feel bad for the kids, their families that invested money into their show projects that may not be able to show. That’s scholarship money potentially gone. The economic impact of no Rose Festival or Yamboree will have to be a hit. It is what it is.

That's what I heard from a friend that lives in Gilmer currently about the fireworks show, but that it was back on schedule.  I suppose they had a change of plans.  I'm starting to wonder about scholarship money until this thing might go away.  We know every flu pandemic did go away after a few years.  The Black Plague lasted for 7 years.  Others since that time have only lasted a few years until either a vaccine was found or they simply went away. Those pandemics weren't treated like this one with the economy coming to a halt.  I'm hearing of more and more businesses shutting down forever or filing bankruptcy.  We've already lost the ones that already had one foot in the grave with Sears,J.C. Penney, and Pier 1.  I'm not even bringing into account the Mom and Pop stores that have closed and will never come back again.  I saw Doc's closed it's store in White Oak, and seeing their prices at $1 a link I wouldn't go back there even if I was in town.  I bought 3 lbs. of those for $7, and it was about 48 links.  You can't tell me that in 9 months the cost of those has gone up that much.  I like them because they're comfort food to me, but not at that price.  It's like I said about Whataburger, if they ever go over $7 a burger I'm done.  

• Like 1

I found out Monday that my cousin is the Judge that signed it.  It has Gilmer at odds with one another.  Yes, Todd Tefteller is my cousin on my Momma's side of the family.  I can't believe that he cancelled the fireworks display.  He should have had better judgement with that.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

Have it anyway...you don't NEED "government" support....

Resist and rebel

PRESS RELEASE
07/03/2020

The Upshur County Sheriff’s Office will not take actions to enforce the Texas Governor’s Office Executive Order GA29, issued on July 2, regarding the mandatory use of face masks.

The executive order includes specific language prohibiting law enforcement use of detention, arrest, or confinement to enforce the order. This language strips police of the fundamental tools necessary to enforce compliance with the law.

This language would subject our agency to liability for even speaking to a person about this order, as that could be construed as a detention. Furthermore, holding someone for the purpose of issuing a citation related to a fine, would be, under current law, a legal detention. 

The Sheriff’s Office must consider the intent of the Texas Constitution in regards to how laws of the land are passed and enforced in this state. Traditionally, law enforcement only enforces laws and statutes that are the product of the legislative process or the product of regulatory authorities authorized by the legislature. The further removed we become from this, the more liability and responsibility we incur as an agency.

The Sheriff will not require deputies to wear face masks on duty for two reasons: 

1. The wearing of objects near the face and neck provide an offender possible tools to impose harm to an officer, and the office will not put the deputy in an unnecessary disadvantage during physical confrontation. For the same reason, deputies at this agency are not required to wear neckties on duty unless in ceremonial events.

2.  In light of recent allegations in the nation of misconduct on the part of police, The Sheriff will not restrict the deputy’s ability to clearly communicate intentions when in contact with citizens. 

The Sheriff’s Office will not prohibit a deputy from wearing a face mask if they so choose.

The Sheriff’s Office does not make this statement as any disrespect to Governor Abbott and we encourage all citizens to take reasonable precautions in their own life to mitigate possible exposure to the corona virus. 

Please be responsible as you celebrate this great holiday weekend commemorating the freedoms we enjoy as a nation. 

Happy 4th of July!

Sheriff Webb

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2020 at 7:07 PM, DaveTV1 said:

I found out Monday that my cousin is the Judge that signed it.  It has Gilmer at odds with one another.  Yes, Todd Tefteller is my cousin on my Momma's side of the family.  I can't believe that he cancelled the fireworks display.  He should have had better judgement with that.  

Todd’s a good guy. If he’s behind it then he has to feel it’s in the best interest of the county. I just don’t know how to take it when I walk into Walmart and there’s a 70 year old man with no mask all up in somebody’s personal space to buy the last pack of hot dog buns. If he’s not worried why should I? I am a world class hypochondriac. Come from a family of them. My aunt , bless her heart, had a coffee table full of pills and if you had testicular cancer, she had it too back in ‘82. I’ve not freaked out about it. Y’all I stub my toe I got cancer. A cramp I got cancer. Wash my hands a little extra and that’s it. 

On 7/2/2020 at 7:01 AM, Unashamed said:

20200702_070315.jpg

Group of us are talking about bringing back the world famous Possum Festival to downtown Rhonesboro. Some good news for the FFA/4H kids is there will be a show and sale for their animals. 

9 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Todd’s a good guy. If he’s behind it then he has to feel it’s in the best interest of the county. I just don’t know how to take it when I walk into Walmart and there’s a 70 year old man with no mask all up in somebody’s personal space to buy the last pack of hot dog buns. If he’s not worried why should I? I am a world class hypochondriac. Come from a family of them. My aunt , bless her heart, had a coffee table full of pills and if you had testicular cancer, she had it too back in ‘82. I’ve not freaked out about it. Y’all I stub my toe I got cancer. A cramp I got cancer. Wash my hands a little extra and that’s it. 

I know he can be, but I don't like his logic on this just yet.  The thing about that 70 year old man is, he's lived through so many of these pandemics that he's tired of it too.  Think about all the one's not only he has lived through, but I've lived through many as well.  My brother turned 70 this year, and he doesn't wear a mask unless it's required, but he doesn't like it.  I think the main reason is my sister in law is fretting over the Wuhan, and he does it for her peace of mind.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Group of us are talking about bringing back the world famous Possum Festival to downtown Rhonesboro. Some good news for the FFA/4H kids is there will be a show and sale for their animals. 

Funny thing is the last time I saw the old Professor of Possumology was at the Yamboree with his trailer that had a cage full of them.  I still remember possum meat sold in cans, and other souvenirs being sold in that General Store in Rhonesboro.  Some think I'm crazy that I mention that it was also a small museum to North America's only marsupial.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

Funny thing is the last time I saw the old Professor of Possumology was at the Yamboree with his trailer that had a cage full of them.  I still remember possum meat sold in cans, and other souvenirs being sold in that General Store in Rhonesboro.  Some think I'm crazy that I mention that it was also a small museum to North America's only marsupial.  

Dave, they would come to school every year and put on a assembly for us. Possum Queen Daisy Potter, Dr. Richard Potter and Professor “Spot” Baird. I remember the old store that Mr. Frank Ford had before my grandpa tore it down so he could build the new one. The museum was still there. Mr. Frank retired, sold the store and I’m afraid the museum got trashed. The Possum Festival was big time to us.

22 hours ago, Stoney said:

Dave, they would come to school every year and put on a assembly for us. Possum Queen Daisy Potter, Dr. Richard Potter and Professor “Spot” Baird. I remember the old store that Mr. Frank Ford had before my grandpa tore it down so he could build the new one. The museum was still there. Mr. Frank retired, sold the store and I’m afraid the museum got trashed. The Possum Festival was big time to us.

I remember going to that old store, and it was unique in it's own way.  I think they even had canned rattlesnake there when I went.  They had a little bit of everything to make a $.  That reminds me of Mexican jumping beans that I used to see back in the day.  They died after a while or escaped, but as a kid they amazed you even if you knew what was inside.  We rarely see obscure places like that in America anymore.    

• Like 1