Thoughts On Flipping Seasons For Fall and Spring Sports?

blesseddaily

5 minutes ago, blesseddaily said:

I can't hardly see the UIL doing it, but if it comes down to that or losing a season I'm guessing the coaches would consider it pretty seriously...the couple that I talked to said that was about the only way they would be for it.

I can see starting later with football/vball and ending mid summer with spring sports. 

2 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I posted this yesterday on another topic and no one said anything about it.  It's a rumor.

Couple TAPPS coaches are talking about possibly proposing it. So it’s not a rumor. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Make it what you want, but this comes directly from the Texas High School Baseball Coaches Association web site.  This is not a couple of coaches talking about it. This is the UIL talking about it.

https://twitter.com/THSBCA

I made it what it is. I’ve seen that tweet. Here’s this one. 

I have not read any of the articles or comments from UIL people or coaches, but I think there are a lot of things that would have to be ironed out. Recruiting, academics, male and female sport considerations. They may cover all of that in the articles, I just haven't read them. My question would be around the logisitics of the seniors that would be going to play at the next level. They would come out of the high school season and then turn around and have to start summer workouts for their college teams. The muscle fatigue could lead to injuries. Or what about the underclassmen that would end football and then start right back up summer workouts for the next season. 

I would be against the swap. No one is sure if the situation would be better during the new proposed start date for football. No one knows if there will be a shot available. And how many will truly get the vaccine. 

43 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

TAPPS can do whatever they want , but they have nothing to do with UIL, but if you just have to be right go ahead.  The UIL has spoken on the matter no matter what we say.

The original post was about TAPPS which is what I was referring too. I’m well aware that the UIL has said it’s a rumor. I guess in your head if it’s not UIL it doesn’t matter and is impossible to happen. That’s cool. You do you. 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

We didn’t have Spring sports this last season, what makes anyone think we will this go around? People are getting tired of being stuck at home and the longer this is drug out, the more positive tests we will see. OR, maybe once the election is over, all of this will disappear like a poot in the wind. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, blesseddaily said:

You don't think that not having a football season is a good enough reason? 

I think the whole virus thing is overblown ... let it run it's course in the younger healthy population ... protect the elderly and vulnerable ... 

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I think the whole virus thing is overblown ... let it run it's course in the younger healthy population ... protect the elderly and vulnerable ... 

With what background knowledge, specialization in infectious diseases, or relevant data/information do you make this claim?

I mean, maybe you're right. Perhaps it is being overblown. But that's more wishful thinking on everyones part than it is critical analysis of the situation. The experts, who literally specialize in this for a living, would suggest the opposite of what you're saying. Unfortunately, because it is a "novel" virus, there are a lot of unknown variables. We've seen what it can do to a wide range of people — young, old, healthy, preexisting conditions, etc — but those observations are short-term. There's also the question of residual, long-term consequences, and the differing ways they will effect the subsets of the population. In other words, perhaps the younger people group isn't effected to a great extent by the virus in the short term, but will there by systemic damages directly caused by or linked to this virus that linger or plague those people down the road?

It's all overblown when you consider the macro. But when it hits home, it can be sobering.

1 minute ago, d0tc0m said:

With what background knowledge, specialization in infectious diseases, or relevant data/information do you make this claim?

I mean, maybe you're right. Perhaps it is being overblown. But that's more wishful thinking on everyones part than it is critical analysis of the situation. The experts, who literally specialize in this for a living, would suggest the opposite of what you're saying. Unfortunately, because it is a "novel" virus, there are a lot of unknown variables. We've seen what it can do to a wide range of people — young, old, healthy, preexisting conditions, etc — but those observations are short-term. There's also the question of residual, long-term consequences, and the differing ways they will effect the subsets of the population. In other words, perhaps the younger people group isn't effected to a great extent by the virus in the short term, but will there by systemic damages directly caused by or linked to this virus that linger or plague those people down the road?

It's all overblown when you consider the macro. But when it hits home, it can be sobering.

The "so called experts" have a political axis to grind, I don't  ....  if you can't see that, well you are naive  ....

2 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

The "so called experts" have a political axis to grind, I don't  ....  if you can't see that, well you are naive  ....

Which experts have a political "axis" to grind? What exactly is this axe they have to grind? You can listen to the medical people WITHOUT lending your ear to the politicians.

Because what I see are politicians on both sides of the aisle weaponizing information and the dissemination of that information. I see the twisting and manipulating of the science into fitting the Agenda de jour.

But what I see from state and local health officials, what I see from my friends who work in medicine (one an ER trauma doctor in Fayetteville, one a pediatrician in Kansas City, along with a handful of friends in nursing) is that this virus #### really bad. It's super contagious. But it's sporadic in the way that it truly effects the general population, and we just don't know enough about it yet to "let it run it's course." It's not the flu.

It just amazes me that something as simple as wearing a mask in public has been politicized.

18 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

And I'll add this note, too. Those same friends of mine in the medicine world also partially agree with you, Kirt. We may truly be overdoing our reaction to this virus. But in the interest of the health of the general population, we have to err on the side of caution when it comes to a pandemic that is just not fully understood yet.

4 minutes ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

Even the medical professionals admit little is know about the Chinese Virus yet there are “experts” on it. Please

The medical professionals are the experts. The ones with specializations in virology and infectious diseases. The ones working with state and local health experts. And yes, they all are saying not enough information is available, not enough is known about the virus, so here's what we should do to buy us time to gather more information, while slowing the infection rate with as little loss-of-life and damages as possible.

6 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

The medical professionals are the experts. The ones with specializations in virology and infectious diseases. The ones working with state and local health experts. And yes, they all are saying not enough information is available, not enough is known about the virus, so here's what we should do to buy us time to gather more information, while slowing the infection rate with as little loss-of-life and damages as possible.

The point I was making are that there are no experts on this particular virus. People keep throwing the word “experts” around like it actually means something. You don’t have to be an expert to know to stay away from crowded places. We’ve been dealing with flu strains forever. Anybody with a shred of common sense already knows what these experts that you and others keep referring to keep saying as far as staying away from people. 

Literally nobody knows what the long term effects are going to be. Literally nobody knows how many people have actually been infected by this disease. Literally nobody knows what the actual death toll is from this disease. 

The real questions are.....

Are we going to let this disease control our lives going forward?

Is this the end all, be all of diseases?

Can we live our lives and still stay safe?

Is football really going to have a greater impact on the loss of lives than rioting, protest marches, sexual orientation celebrations and political rallies?

• Like 1