Thoughts On Flipping Seasons For Fall and Spring Sports?

blesseddaily

1 minute ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

The point I was making are that there are no experts on this particular virus. People keep throwing ether word “experts” around like it actually means something. You don’t have to be an expert to know to stay away from crowded places. We’ve been dealing with flu strains forever. Anybody with a shred of common sense already knows what these experts that you and others keep referring to keep saying as far as staying away from people. 

Lol where did I say there were corona virus experts? What makes them experts is the fact that they have a specialized understanding of how to study these viruses, how to gather information and eventually how to treat them. And they understand how to educate the public on the issue. They also understand the virus enough to know it is not in any way shape or form an influenza virus.

And for all that common sense you're talking about, we've got a huge chunk of the population not adhering to those recommendations.

1 minute ago, d0tc0m said:

Lol where did I say there were corona virus experts? What makes them experts is the fact that they have a specialized understanding of how to study these viruses, how to gather information and eventually how to treat them. And they understand how to educate the public on the issue. They also understand the virus enough to know it is not in any way shape or form an influenza virus.

And for all that common sense you're talking about, we've got a huge chunk of the population not adhering to those recommendations.

When people are talking about this virus and keep using the word “experts”, it implies they are experts on the virus. There are people that don’t let fear dictate their lives. If you’re scared, stay at home in the fetal position and the rest of us will live our lives. 

• Like 2

When people are talking about this virus and keep using the word “experts”, it implies they are experts on the virus. There are people that don’t let fear dictate their lives. If you’re scared, stay at home in the fetal position and the rest of us will live our lives. 

There are so many fallacies in your statement. For one, saying a virologist is an expert in studying viruses in NO WAY implies that said virologist is an expert/has all the answers on this particular corona virus. It literally means they are an expert at understanding the basic principles of viruses, the proteins involved, the mutation sequences, the genetic makeup, the short- and long-term effects, etc. It literally means they spend their careers STUDYING these things in order to INFORM and TREAT.

Second of all, it is entirely possible to live your life without being dictated by fear, while also listening to people who know more about a particular subject than you do. You want to go outside and live your life? Great, here are some suggestions from people who have an understanding of how you can do that in the safest way possible. You want there to be high school football in the fall? Excellent, here are some practical steps you can take to help out that cause.

The real fear I see in a lot of people is the fear of admitting they really don't know what they're talking about. The fear of admitting they're wrong. The fear of not knowing enough about a subject to know when they are mistaken.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Would the experience of someone that has actually had it be of value to the conversation?

I think that would be a great addition. But I think anyone who is willing to emotionally detach themselves from the subject, to let go of political ideology and look at this whole thing empirically brings a lot of value to the conversation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

There are so many fallacies in your statement. For one, saying a virologist is an expert in studying viruses in NO WAY implies that said virologist is an expert/has all the answers on this particular corona virus. It literally means they are an expert at understanding the basic principles of viruses, the proteins involved, the mutation sequences, the genetic makeup, the short- and long-term effects, etc. It literally means they spend their careers STUDYING these things in order to INFORM and TREAT.

Second of all, it is entirely possible to live your life without being dictated by fear, while also listening to people who know more about a particular subject than you do. You want to go outside and live your life? Great, here are some suggestions from people who have an understanding of how you can do that in the safest way possible. You want there to be high school football in the fall? Excellent, here are some practical steps you can take to help out that cause.

The real fear I see in a lot of people is the fear of admitting they really don't know what they're talking about. The fear of admitting they're wrong. The fear of not knowing enough about a subject to know when they are mistaken.

Umm, hate to break it to you, but you are the one that seems to be on a high horse. 

And you are still missing the part about people referring to experts. It reads like you are trying to convince people that there are experts on this virus. 

Lastly, people can still live their lives? The same people that have lost their jobs and can’t find work? Those people? Can they still live their lives? 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

And I'll add this note, too. Those same friends of mine in the medicine world also partially agree with you, Kirt. We may truly be overdoing our reaction to this virus. But in the interest of the health of the general population, we have to err on the side of caution when it comes to a pandemic that is just not fully understood yet.

I have a lot of relatives in the medical field, three doctors and I don't know how many nurses.  The consensus among many "experts" is we would have been far better to have not locked everything down and let the virus run its course, let people build up immunity ... there is also a lot or pros and cons about wearing masks depending on who you believe ... I truly believe the liberals are doing everything they can to keep this going to keep the economy from recovering to hurt President Trump's reelection .... they could care less about sports and who it affects ...

• Like 2

Umm, hate to break it to you, but you are the one that seems to be on a high horse. 

And you are still missing the part about people referring to experts. It reads like you are trying to convince people that there are experts on this virus. 

Lastly, people can still live their lives? The same people that have lost their jobs and can’t find work? Those people? Can they still live their lives? 

I'm on a high horse because I have a differing opinion than you? We're just having a conversation on here, man. That's it. We're two human beings disagreeing on something. That's it. I'm under no guise of intellectual superiority either way

I don't think I'm missing anything when referring to experts. I think your own bias is projecting and inferring what you want from what I said. It is true that there are experts in a field of STUDY. It is true that they can educate people who are not experts in that field of study. I imagine you yourself have an expertise in life that you could teach me about. I could learn a great deal about something from you, and gain some knowledge about something which I didn't have prior.

My freshman year of high school, I was plagued with severe abdominal pain and nausea for a few days in a row. I went to see an expert about it, and after running a series of tests and gathering some data, they came to the conclusion that I had appendicitis, and I went into surgery and had my appendix removed. I did not try to live with the pain or even try to remove my own appendix because I am not an expert in that field of study.

My senior year of high school and into college, I was plagued with shoulder issues. I went to Dr. Rex Burkhead in Dallas, a highly-respected expert and surgeon, who ran a series of tests and image screenings to gather information and learn about what I was facing. He determined that I had nerve deterioration and a labrum tear, and I had a series of surgical procedures to treat the issues. I did not try to live with the pain, self-diagnose or attempt my own surgery.

And to your last point, I completely understand and empathize with those who have suffered economically. My wife is a small business owner and this has had a massive adverse effect on her business. I work in public education, which is nowhere near the road to fame and fortune. So please don't think my family has been immune to the economic effects of this virus.

14 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I have a lot of relatives in the medical field, three doctors and I don't know how many nurses.  The consensus among many "experts" is we would have been far better to have not locked everything down and let the virus run its course, let people build up immunity ... there is also a lot or pros and cons about wearing masks depending on who you believe ... I truly believe the liberals are doing everything they can to keep this going to keep the economy from recovering to hurt President Trump's reelection .... they could care less about sports and who it affects ...

The right blame the left. The left blame the right. Same song, different chorus. Put the quarter in and round-and-round we go.

Anything and everything can and will be weaponized by the politicians on both sides. Period.

But I hear you on your family of doctors and nurses. I would consider them experts in their fields, and I would not be able to ignore the value of information that they could provide on this subject. I may not agree, or I may not want to agree, but that doesn't validate my point of view. I have a responsibility to listen to the information they give and process it as best I can, because they know more about the subject than I do. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, the medical professionals who I am closest with are cautious about the adverse effects of herd immunity and the repercussions that can cause. Oddly enough, all of those professionals I know voted quite loudly for Trump and support him to this day.

7 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

I'm on a high horse because I have a differing opinion than you? We're just having a conversation on here, man. That's it. We're two human beings disagreeing on something. That's it. I'm under no guise of intellectual superiority either way

I don't think I'm missing anything when referring to experts. I think your own bias is projecting and inferring what you want from what I said. It is true that there are experts in a field of STUDY. It is true that they can educate people who are not experts in that field of study. I imagine you yourself have an expertise in life that you could teach me about. I could learn a great deal about something from you, and gain some knowledge about something which I didn't have prior.

My freshman year of high school, I was plagued with severe abdominal pain and nausea for a few days in a row. I went to see an expert about it, and after running a series of tests and gathering some data, they came to the conclusion that I had appendicitis, and I went into surgery and had my appendix removed. I did not try to live with the pain or even try to remove my own appendix because I am not an expert in that field of study.

My senior year of high school and into college, I was plagued with shoulder issues. I went to Dr. Rex Burkhead in Dallas, a highly-respected expert and surgeon, who ran a series of tests and image screenings to gather information and learn about what I was facing. He determined that I had nerve deterioration and a labrum tear, and I had a series of surgical procedures to treat the issues. I did not try to live with the pain, self-diagnose or attempt my own surgery.

And to your last point, I completely understand and empathize with those who have suffered economically. My wife is a small business owner and this has had a massive adverse effect on her business. I work in public education, which is nowhere near the road to fame and fortune. So please don't think my family has been immune to the economic effects of this virus.

Again, it read as if you are implying that there are experts on the virus in your earlier posts. Comparing people living their lives during this mess isn’t even comparable to trying to live with broken bones, you had to be kidding right?

Again, it read as if you are implying that there are experts on the virus in your earlier posts. Comparing people living their lives during this mess isn’t even comparable to trying to live with broken bones, you had to be kidding right?

I am not implying anything whatsoever in my statement. YOU are inferring that I'm saying there are experts on COVID-19.

And of course I'm not comparing living in this mess with "broken bones." Of course that was tongue-in-cheek. It was an added reference to the "experts" discussion and not commentary on living with this virus.

2 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

I am not implying anything whatsoever in my statement. YOU are inferring that I'm saying there are experts on COVID-19.

And of course I'm not comparing living in this mess with "broken bones." Of course that was tongue-in-cheek. It was an added reference to the "experts" discussion and not commentary on living with this virus.

Dear Lord give me patience. Yes, I “inferred” it because of how it read. I thought I said that. 

6 minutes ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

Dear Lord give me patience. Yes, I “inferred” it because of how it read. I thought I said that. 

Dear Lord, save some for me.

Yes, as the author of the statements in question, I have, of sound mind and body, said outright: I AM NOT IMPLYING that virologists are experts on COVID-19. I never said they were and I never implied they were. So now, with that knowledge in your hand, it collapses the wave function of possible ways to interpret what I said. I've given you the only way. I've given you a loose definition of an expert in the context of this conversation. I have not left it up to interpretation any longer. So any inferring from this point on is a fool's errand.

6 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Dear Lord, save some for me.

Yes, as the author of the statements in question, I have, of sound mind and body, said outright: I AM NOT IMPLYING that virologists are experts on COVID-19. I never said they were and I never implied they were. So now, with that knowledge in your hand, it collapses the wave function of possible ways to interpret what I said. I've given you the only way. I've given you a loose definition of an expert in the context of this conversation. I have not left it up to interpretation any longer. So any inferring from this point on is a fool's errand.

A simple “OK, I see what you’re saying” would have done. No need for further explanation after I said that it appeared that way in EARLIER posts. Have a blessed day. 

3 minutes ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

A simple “OK, I see what you’re saying” would have done. No need for further explanation after I said that it appeared that way in EARLIER posts. Have a blessed day. 

Sure, except after I cleared that up and clarified it, you remained hung up on that one particular tangent of the conversation without addressing other points. But you have a blessed day as well, truly! And whatever your thoughts/beliefs/politics are, I hope you and your family do stay completely safe and healthy for the duration of all this mess. And I think we can all agree we really, really, really want football this fall.

And I apologize for derailing the original point of this thread. Seems to be clearly my fault.

So back on topic, it's hard to imagine the UIL giving too much serious thought to swapping fall/spring sports, but who knows. My own personal feeling is it would be odd and weird and maybe hard for me personally to get excited about football in the springtime. But I can adapt, if that's the only way.

Sure, except after I cleared that up and clarified it, you remained hung up on that one particular tangent of the conversation without addressing other points. But you have a blessed day as well, truly! And whatever your thoughts/beliefs/politics are, I hope you and your family do stay completely safe and healthy for the duration of all this mess. And I think we can all agree we really, really, really want football this fall.

Lol. You realize we could do this all day long right? What is this football you speak of?

And I apologize for derailing the original point of this thread. Seems to be clearly my fault.

So back on topic, it's hard to imagine the UIL giving too much serious thought to swapping fall/spring sports, but who knows. My own personal feeling is it would be odd and weird and maybe hard for me personally to get excited about football in the springtime. But I can adapt, if that's the only way.

It would be weird but I would take it if it was the only way we could see football but I don’t think it would make much difference. 

Just now, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

Lol. You realize we could do this all day long right? What is this football you speak of?

Lol we absolutely could, so screw that! Let's just get a drink and we can swap stories about Celina and Tatum football lore.

6 minutes ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

Never heard of Celina. 👀

Well, well, well. We may need more than one drink, then. I'll let you talk Tatum first, because there might not be time for it if I launch into Celina's history first.

56 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

I think that would be a great addition. But I think anyone who is willing to emotionally detach themselves from the subject, to let go of political ideology and look at this whole thing empirically brings a lot of value to the conversation.

Ok here goes - long post alert.  I have had it.  My family attended a wedding on June 6th.  About 100 people were in attendance. We did not wear masks even though we brought them.  On June 8th we started exhibiting mild allergy type symptoms - running nose, cough, sneezing, scratchy throat.  No one had a fever.  The first confirmed Covid-19 case from the wedding attendees was diagnosed on June 11th, two more June 12th and two more June 13th.  My family tested June 15th and all were positive except my son who tested negative.  To date 25+ people who attended the wedding have tested positive with many more choosing not to get tested or were asymptotic.

My experience has been mild.  I would describe it as cold/allergy or light flu-like symptoms never leaving my head.  No fever and never felt like I needed to go to a Dr.  I did lose my sense of taste and smell around June 13th and they didn’t start returning until around June 24th.  That was weird.

My wife’s experience has been much different.  It got into her lungs after a week and she can not shake it.  She had severe headaches and body pains and also lost her taste and smell.  She has no energy and the smallest task will drain her and she has to lay down.  She spent the night in the hospital June 23rd because she could not catch her breath.  They diagnosed her with pneumonia in both lungs but Covid-19 test came back negative.  Since discharge on June 24th she has been on breathing treatments every four hours, hydroxachloroquine, steroids, antibiotics, 10 different vitamins and an all vegan diet.  

My largest concern with the medical field as a whole is there is not a plan to deal with those patients who can’t get well in 14 days on meds and rest.  “Come back to the ER if you don’t feel well” is not a plan.  And we don’t feel she needs to be hospitalized at this time as there are others who are far worse off.  Also there is not a mandatory retest to ensure you are not still positive after the 14 days.  Why?  My wife has not made much progress in the last week and we are referring her to a Pulmonary Specialist to continue treatment and get better.

My son has been tested three times since June 15th and all have come back negative.  He was in the wedding, was at the same table as us for the reception, rode in the car with us home and did not leave the home from June 8-15th when we should have been contagious.  He has not had any symptoms the entire time.  Maybe eating dirt as a child finally paid off!

As for Covid-19, I respect it much more now than I did before.  It is HIGHLY contagious in tight spaces with an active case.  It is real and can certainly lead to severe complications or death if not treated in a timely manner.  It is not the flu.  I tend to think the risk is less with surface contact than reported in the media.  I believe the value of masks in public places is to protect others by limiting your droplets from talking, coughing or sneezing (which is where I believe the largest threat of spread is).  The mask is not meant as a barrier to keep you from getting infected.  Recognize the early symptoms and don’t discount them as allergy related if you have them.  Don’t assume you will have a fever because that is not the primary symptom IMO.  If you think you might have Covid-19 go get tested.  If you test positive stay home and don’t risk getting others sick.  If you test positive go get retested with a negative result after 14 days before you return to normal activities.  It’s the right thing to do.

As for the fall, I support the kids going back to school and resuming extra curricular activities with necessary adjustments.  No need to flip the fall/spring.  It adds no value IMO.  This thing is here to stay and I think we are going to have to deal with it eventually vs hiding from it in fear.  Is it going to put stress on our hospital network - yes.  Will more people die from it - yes.  But total shutdown until it’s gone is not a realistic alternative either.  The mental damage in that scenario is likely more harmful than the physical.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2