Cancel fall sports for normal life in long run?

Eagleborn

Cancel fall sports if it helps make life normal in long run?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Either of

Was talking to a coach today and he said something I thought was interesting. He said he’d be for cancelling the fall sports if it helped get things back to a normal life. Football is his main sport. But in his on way he does show that football is ONLY a part of life and things are bigger and more important. 

Agree or disagree?

If you vote gives your opinions why. 

26 minutes ago, Nick2011 said:

I don’t think canceling sports will get things back to normal. Will it minimize the spread of the virus? Maybe, but such a small percentage that it will not make a difference. 

I voted no for this reason.  

41 minutes ago, Nick2011 said:

I don’t think canceling sports will get things back to normal. Will it minimize the spread of the virus? Maybe, but such a small percentage that it will not make a difference. 

The liberals canceled @KirtFalcon and @WestHardinfan1 years ago and it didn't fix anything.  Those 2 old farts are spreading their nonsense quicker and deadlier than any virus we will ever see on earth :lol: 

• LOL! 1

It is not going to go away. So we can either close down everything for a long time essentially shuttering our way of life, and risk the collapse our entire governmental & economic systems. Or, we can accept the fact that people are going to get it and just try to do the best we can to be careful and limit the spread as much as possible and move forward with life. 

• Like 6

Yeah, I guess I just don’t see any empirical evidence that suggests shutting down fall sports — or schools in general — will in and of itself get things back to “normal.” Will it slow infection and spread a bit? Yeah, maybe. But I would imagine that total would be negligible.

Now, if you want to make teachers/students wear masks during school, and do temperature scans, etc., that seems fine to me. If you want to allow no fans at sporting events, or perhaps only immediate family, that seems like an option, so long as teams have the ability to stream their games, which the UIL is on board with. But yeah, for the most part, I don’t know that canceling HS fall athletics is the answer. 

Pretty interesting that 70% of the people that have responded would rather play football, volleyball and run CC than go back to normal.  I would be willing to sacrifice just about anything to go back to "normal".   

40 minutes ago, BearKat said:

Pretty interesting that 70% of the people that have responded would rather play football, volleyball and run CC than go back to normal.  I would be willing to sacrifice just about anything to go back to "normal".   

I think most of us don’t believe that canceling fall sports will allow us to go back to “normal”.  So if the answer is no why cancel fall sports?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Vandalman said:

I think we should just go back to "normal" now. Covid is here to stay. Sooner we learn to live with it, the better...my 2 cents.

I agree.  I'm not going to say it's going to last forever, but Americans lived more normal lives with past pandemics.  I'm thinking if more people came down with the Wuhan that it would clear up quicker.  Make it evolve until it's not as harsh on some individuals as it has been.  

1 hour ago, DawgNation2015 said:

I think most of us don’t believe that canceling fall sports will allow us to go back to “normal”.  So if the answer is no why cancel fall sports?

I guess I was just responding the survey question and my answer would be "yes". "CANCEL FALL SPORTS IF IT HELPS MAKE LIFE NORMAL IN LONG RUN?  " 

If we are saying that 100% if we cancelled football this year that we would be able to go back to normal January 1, 2021 then I would be for it but since this virus is going to stay forever like the Flu (Since all this is...is another Flu strain) then we should stop all the nonsense go back to full normal right now.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, highschoolfootball99 said:

If we are saying that 100% if we cancelled football this year that we would be able to go back to normal January 1, 2021 then I would be for it but since this virus is going to stay forever like the Flu (Since all this is...is another Flu strain) then we should stop all the nonsense go back to full normal right now.

It’s not though. It literally is not a flu strain. It is a corona virus. It is not an influenza virus. They are very different in the way that they behave and infect and act on both the micro and macro scales.

But I completely agree with everything else you said. If we had a guarantee we could go back to normal, of course we’d do it. But we don’t and we won’t have that guarantee.

Just now, d0tc0m said:

It’s not though. It literally is not a flu strain. It is a corona virus. It is not an influenza virus. They are very different in the way that they behave and infect and act on both the micro and macro scales.

No it is a respiratory virus just like the flu and the reason it doesnt act like it is bc it is a new strain lol

2 hours ago, highschoolfootball99 said:

No it is a respiratory virus just like the flu and the reason it doesnt act like it is bc it is a new strain lol

It is a different strain of a cold virus.  The common cold is in the coronavirus family. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EasyCompany said:

It is a different strain of a cold virus.  The common cold is in the coronavirus family. 

Another thing is it effects people differently.  It could be mild symptoms, or it could be really bad symptoms.  I've read some of that could depend on your blood type.  https://www.tmc.edu/news/2020/06/blood-type-may-affect-covid-19-outcomes-study-shows/  .  Of course with a new virus, we can't say this is accurate or any information is completely accurate.