Cancel fall sports for normal life in long run?

Eagleborn

Cancel fall sports if it helps make life normal in long run?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Either of

This was taken from the govenor's speach today mandating the wearing of facemack.

Later Thursday, in an interview with Univision in Dallas, Abbott also signaled he might be rethinking plans to open the state's public schools for in-person classes this fall, after state officials said last month that it would be safe.

“If COVID is so serious, it may mean that students are having to learn from home through a distance learning program, something like the use of Zoom or FaceTime or other strategies where a teacher in real time will have the means to speak with a student, a student will be able to speak with other students, and it will replicate the class setting as much as possible,” he said.

No in school students?? What does that do to the football program?

6 minutes ago, Dropkick said:

This was taken from the govenor's speach today mandating the wearing of facemack.

Later Thursday, in an interview with Univision in Dallas, Abbott also signaled he might be rethinking plans to open the state's public schools for in-person classes this fall, after state officials said last month that it would be safe.

“If COVID is so serious, it may mean that students are having to learn from home through a distance learning program, something like the use of Zoom or FaceTime or other strategies where a teacher in real time will have the means to speak with a student, a student will be able to speak with other students, and it will replicate the class setting as much as possible,” he said.

Would mean no football. 

17 hours ago, Dropkick said:

Parents here are already being given that option for the upcoming school year; either let the students attend like normal (with safety measures in place, no assemblies/pep rallies, and school bus use discouraged) or virtual E-Learning from home, with the same curriculum and attendance expectations as the kids in the school building.

One thing for sure if the stadiums are full COVID 19 will spread.  I would think  high risk folks would stay away.  I am 66 and the CDC considers me high risk.  I have no other conditions I know of.  I figure before district all the fans would have had it and build some sort of Herd amunity. Sorry for the bad spelling.  Realistically the fan base would be good to go the rest of the year.  This has science behind it at all.   Being born in the mid 50’s chicken pox followed the same pattern

Unfortunately, there are a lot of incentives for career politicians to keep this going for as long as they can .... the liberal media and others profiting off of it are willing accomplices  ....  enough is enough ....

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Unfortunately, there are a lot of incentives for career politicians to keep this going for as long as they can .... the liberal media and others profiting off of it are willing accomplices  ....  enough is enough ....

I'll agree that career politicians are terrible, by and large. It should not be a career path. But most of the more level-headed politicians, the ones capable of thinking critically and objectively outside their own party colors, will agree with the health officials who are and have been saying the same thing: Opening things up is fine, BUT WEAR A MASK, and use common distancing sense, and we can actually buy ourselves the time needed to beat this thing. Everyone hollering for herd immunity doesn't understand the cost of that. This isn't the flu and this isn't the chickenpox.

On 7/4/2020 at 11:43 PM, NATUREBOY98 said:

Open it up all the way. Schools, economy, restaurants, bars, and every other thing. Expose yourself. Build up a herd mentality. What’s the point in living if your hunkered down listening to fear mongers with an agenda. Tomorrow isn’t guaranteed for anyone. When you were born you were issued an expiration date. Good Lord wants you He’s gonna take you. Wu Tang Virus or eating a tree from hydro planing.  Does it matter? Living scared isn’t going to do anything but make it worse. I love telling you about infection rates going up, but fail to mention death rates dropping. Those immune systems are putting in work. 

If I could fall in love a statement this would be it

49 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

I'll agree that career politicians are terrible, by and large. It should not be a career path. But most of the more level-headed politicians, the ones capable of thinking critically and objectively outside their own party colors, will agree with the health officials who are and have been saying the same thing: Opening things up is fine, BUT WEAR A MASK, and use common distancing sense, and we can actually buy ourselves the time needed to beat this thing. Everyone hollering for herd immunity doesn't understand the cost of that. This isn't the flu and this isn't the chickenpox.

Agree 100%.  And I would add this coming from someone who is firmly on the conservative side of the political isle and a COVID recovery patient.  The mask theory only works if a larger % of the population wears one while in public places that won’t allow social distancing (aka Lowe’s & Wal-Mart).  If everyone’s goal is to get back to normal life, get kids back in school, and to watch Texas High School Football Fri night in person,  are you willing to sacrifice a little comfort now to get there?  If the health experts are right, we all get what we want if the larger % complies.  If the health experts are wrong, you had to wear a mask in public for a few months.  The longer we go with half the population choosing not to make a small sacrifice and put forth some effort to help out, the more likely this virus continues to pick up traction going into Aug & Sept.  No one wins in that scenario. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Agree 100%.  And I would add this coming from someone who is firmly on the conservative side of the political isle and a COVID recovery patient.  The mask theory only works if a larger % of the population wears one while in public places that won’t allow social distancing (aka Lowe’s & Wal-Mart).  If everyone’s goal is to get back to normal life, get kids back in school, and to watch Texas High School Football Fri night in person,  are you willing to sacrifice a little comfort now to get there?  If the health experts are right, we all get what we want if the larger % complies.  If the health experts are wrong, you had to wear a mask in public for a few months.  The longer we go with half the population choosing not to make a small sacrifice and put forth some effort to help out, the more likely this virus continues to pick up traction going into Aug & Sept.  No one wins in that scenario. 

Exactly, and somehow — inexplicably! — the idea of wearing a mask became politicized, or a symbol of "living in fear," and the very weak minded bent willfully to that asinine logic.

13 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Exactly, and somehow — inexplicably! — the idea of wearing a mask became politicized, or a symbol of "living in fear," and the very weak minded bent willfully to that asinine logic.

Truth.  Maybe we should start a topic that asks the question - Would you wear a mask in public for a return to normal life?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

Probably because the leading "expert" on the subject said the general public shouldn't wear masks during the middle of an outbreak because they are not effective.  He was either full of 💩 then or now.  Take your pick.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRa6t_e7dgI

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ObiOne said:

Probably because the leading "expert" on the subject said the general public shouldn't wear masks during the middle of an outbreak because they are not effective.  He was either full of 💩 then or now.  Take your pick.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRa6t_e7dgI

I agree with you that Fauci has not been reliable.  He appears to have a hidden agenda at times and doesn’t seem to understand how his every word will be taken for gospel truth given the environment.  Like Trump he sometimes digs himself a hole by offering his thoughts candidly vs relaying factual info with supporting facts.  I will extend him some grace as this virus is new and information has come fast & furious from many sources in a short time.  I would have never put him in front of a microphone and camera to begin with.  He should be in the lab.

• Like 1

Personally, I have used a mask very sparingly.  However, if a business post a sign that I need one to enter, I do.  If watching HS football again in a stadium requires a face mask, I will do so.  However, I do agree  with these extreme guidelines by the government, especially those is more liberal areas have gone overboard and where wearing the mask have not helped them, plus those same cities they have not stopped hundreds from gathering together to protest.  Those same hundreds could be in a open air football stadium for all I know.   I practice the social distancing and plenty of sanitizer, however the mask has been a big issue for me.  I hate the mask, however I read the other day about a healthy 40 year old  San Antonio man, who had been fighting this virus since April had passed away.  In his process of treatment, he had been on a ventilator,  all kind of medications, he had mini strokes and endured the amputation of a limb.  He had never been sick in his life and had no underlying conditions.   You never know if your going to be that one .005% exception to the rule.  

So, in order to get somewhat closer to normal, the kids back to school and have a football season.  I am willing to have my temperature checked at the gate and wear a mask to watch my team play football in a stadium.    I personally don't think cancelling the football season gives us any long term guarantees at all, any different than what we are experiencing right now.  

13 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

My answer is hell no. Why? The government never stops and is never satisfied. Do I think one needs an AR 15? Not really but I understand why they fight it. You give in and then it snowballs until all you’re left is a single shot 22. Government has no right to dictate when I can have a normal life. It’s hard to take them serious when 10 people group together at a bar is outrageous but a protest with thousands in a attendance is deemed ok and no threat of spreading the Wu Tang Virus. 

One of my favorite professors in college, during various situations, would often say to me: You have two options in life, you can be part of the problem or you can be part of the solution. If you choose to do nothing, you're part of the problem.

As I just mentioned earlier, it's crazy that an infinitesimally small act, such as wearing a mask in public places (which really costs you nothing), has any affiliation with the government whatsoever. And now that it somehow is equated to owning an AR-15? I understand what you're trying to say there, but that's a super weak and tired analogy and the two conversations aren't related at all. I don't own an AR-15, personally and I don't subscribe to the NRA's philosophy, but, like you, I don't think the government needs to tell people they can't own one. 

But put your politics aside, turn off Fox News, just for a second and THINK, critically, selflessly, as a fellow human, a fellow Texan, a fellow American. You want to live a normal life, just like all of us. You want the economy to pick back up. You want football in the fall. So what can we do to ensure we all get to do that? Well, the health experts — not the politicians, not the government, not the radical right or the radical left, not the talking heads of Fox or CNN or the agenda du jour — are advising that we wash our hands often and wear a mask, and don't gather in large groups. Those same health officials have also warned about the protests, where most but not all, the protesters were wearing masks. The health experts said there could be spikes in positive cases as a direct result of the protests, and it's safe to assume that certainly happened.

So my question back to you, Natureboy, would be: Why not wear a mask? What is it truly costing you to wear a mask and to encourage your family and friends to do it too, with the idea that if we could largely cooperate as a cohesive group, we could actually have a positive impact for the population? Why not do that?

• Thumbs Down 1
  • Stinks 1

42 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

My answer is hell no. Why? The government never stops and is never satisfied. Do I think one needs an AR 15? Not really but I understand why they fight it. You give in and then it snowballs until all you’re left is a single shot 22. Government has no right to dictate when I can have a normal life. It’s hard to take them serious when 10 people group together at a bar is outrageous but a protest with thousands in a attendance is deemed ok and no threat of spreading the Wu Tang Virus. 

Natureboy - I agree with some of your post.  There are states and cities with leaders that have extreme democratic views who would try to take a mile if you give them an inch.  And there is certainly a failure by some cities to control organized protests and allow them to turn into mass chaos with looting, rioting, theft, arson, etc.  But Texas is a Republican state with a Republican governor who we helped elect.  In our situation here in Texas, that is the government asking you & I to wear a mask in public when you can’t social distance. So what does it hurt you to try?  Obviously we can see that not wearing a mask it allowing the virus to spread fairly quickly.  Why not give it a shot?

1 minute ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

To put it mildly I despise the government and have zero trust in it. Not one party but both. I don’t believe nothing they say. A couple from here in tiny Omaha Texas went to Longview to get the test. Gave them all of their info. They weren’t very patient and left the testing site without ever giving a sample. Low and behold they were contacted by the state telling them their test (the one they never took) came back positive. To hell with them. You go wear your mask and shampoo with Lysol. This bs isn’t going anywhere until they’ve cratered the economy. Btw I don’t watch FOX. Don’t be so stereotypical. 

Fair enough. And we actually have a decent amount in common, belief-wise, Natureboy. I too, mildly-stated, despise the government (speaking specifically towards the Federal level) and have the same amount of trust as you. And if I was one of the people like the couple you know, or if I was a close friend of theirs, like you, that sort of experience would make me beyond skeptical as well, and probably a little jaded.

But I'll ask the question again, now with the knowledge that we share essentially the same viewpoints on government: Why not wear a mask? No one is saying shampoo with lysol, or whatever else you're referencing, but simply a mask. What does it actually cost YOU to wear a mask?

4 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

To put it mildly I despise the government and have zero trust in it. Not one party but both. I don’t believe nothing they say. A couple from here in tiny Omaha Texas went to Longview to get the test. Gave them all of their info. They weren’t very patient and left the testing site without ever giving a sample. Low and behold they were contacted by the state telling them their test (the one they never took) came back positive. To hell with them. You go wear your mask and shampoo with Lysol. This bs isn’t going anywhere until they’ve cratered the economy. Btw I don’t watch FOX. Don’t be so stereotypical. 

NB- I have seen that same post made by individuals on social media from multiple cities in East TX. Almost verbatim.  I have been through the process of Covid testing three times.  Though it is possible it could have happened, I highly doubt the exact same thing happened in different cities and different testing sites. 

2 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Come on man. I was being sarcastic about the Lysol lol. A couple of things it cost me come to mind. Now my faith comes into play here so I don’t expect you to agree. For one I’m not going to join in the charade of this thing. They don’t care about the virus. They care about cratering the economy. Two I think I should put my faith in my Father rather than a mask or Fauci. The day I was born I was issued an expiration date. Same as you. How He takes me is His choice. Virus or heart attack. Doesn’t really matter how cause the when isn’t going to change. 

NB-  I am also a man of faith.  I am a sinner saved by The Grace of our Lord Jesus Christ who made the ultimate sacrifice for all of us.  As I Christian my daily challenge is to die to myself and do all I can to be more like Jesus.  So I want to hear your answer to a hypothetical question I have struggled with these last few days.  If Jesus were still walking on this Earth today among us in East Texas (assuming what we know now), would He comply and wear a mask?  Please include scripture to support your position and please remove politics.  Jesus was not a Republican or Democrat.  Your response could change my position if biblically supported as that’s really all that matters in the end to me.

13 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Come on man. I was being sarcastic about the Lysol lol. A couple of things it cost me come to mind. Now my faith comes into play here so I don’t expect you to agree. For one I’m not going to join in the charade of this thing. They don’t care about the virus. They care about cratering the economy. Two I think I should put my faith in my Father rather than a mask or Fauci. The day I was born I was issued an expiration date. Same as you. How He takes me is His choice. Virus or heart attack. Doesn’t really matter how cause the when isn’t going to change. 

I agree about the charade.  I'm not going to contribute to the fear mongering and hysteria.  If the government was really worried about saving lives, wearing a mask right now would be WAY DOWN on the list of things that would save more lives in our country.  Ever wonder how a country with some of the best healthcare on the planet and 4% of the world population has 25% of the world covid deaths?  Things that make you go hmmm.

7 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Well, we share in our spiritual beliefs, too. I'm a deacon at a church here in Springfield, MO. And I only mention that to show our common ground in this conversation. I will say, though, some of your statements are more bordering on nihilism than faith, but if that was just my perception then I truly do apologize.

I'm genuinely curious, though, and I mean no disrespect or sarcasm in this ... Have you ever gone to the doctor when you were sick? If you have a headache, do you take Tylenol, or if you have some inflammation, do you/would you take ibuprofen? If you had poor vision, like I do, would you go see an eye doctor? If you, God forbid, had cancer, or had kidney failure, or some catastrophic thing that could be treated, would you get treatment?

I really do ask those questions in sincerity, and there are shades of grey to the answers to some of them. My point being, though, trusting in medicine, or trusting in health professionals, does not equate a lack of trust in God. Wearing a mask is no more neglecting the faith than is taking an Advil for some pain, or some Zyrtec or Benadryl for allergies.

I believe God created us and endowed us with intelligence, as well as the ability, as good stewards of his creation, to innovate and create, and that includes in the fields of science and medicine. To me, God is as sovereign over medicine as he is anything. All good and perfect gifts come from him. So if I take medicine and my headache goes away, praise God, it worked, and it's because he's created us with the ability to develop something that can help treat a simple, physical, non-spiritual ailment. Carrying that point further, I can wear a mask, knowing full well God is still sovereign, and hope and pray that this simple act, when done en masse by a cooperative population, can help curb this outbreak and get us back to "normal."

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

The couple told me out of their own mouth. He’s a Baptist preacher so he might be lying lol. 

Here Is an example of the same basic story you described that I found in 2 minutes on my social media feed.  Do you know the poster?  Is he from Cass County?

DC10E8F3-89AF-43DE-A23B-42645176A4D6.jpeg