Long Story About The Death of a Protestor In Omaha

BarryLaverty

Sounds like justice may or may not happen, or maybe it already has, but a special prosecutor has had to be put in place over the shooting of a protestor by a bar owner, in part, because it is alleged that police avoided taking witness statements and the DA refused to file any charges. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/after-a-black-protester-is-killed-in-omaha-witnesses-claim-a-rushed-investigation-ignored-signs-of-the-shooters-allegedly-190303877.html

Not enough information in this article for me to base an opinion on.  Were there not any witnesses of the shooting ?  Were they the only individuals in the bar ?  That doesn't seem likely.  Why did the reporter not seek any of these witnesses or bystanders.  Why was the protester protesting in a bar to begin with ? Or where did the actual shooting take place.  I'm assuming it was a bar, since it states in the article that he was a bar owner.  They're going to print about people protesting at the bar owners home, but don't provide any details.  Why not interview some of those protesters to find out what they know ?  Why not seek the police report, and find out more details instead of jumping to conclusions ?  This article raises more questions than it provides, so it's worthless.  If I have to click a link to another website that has the full article why not post it instead ?  Thus, Yahoo News is trash.  

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Don't know where to start with your post, because it seems like you didn't actually read THIS article, much less answer the call to read more that no one made. But, thanks for the editorial comment.

I didn't click the link with the Yahoo News source that only gave a partial story.  I need more information to discern what actually happened.  I read the first part of the Yahoo News article.  It seems like the reporter didn't even know the WWWHW.  I want all the facts, don't report something with speculation or partial facts.  I answered that with my comment above.  There are many questions in regards to the shooting.  No witness accounts, and mere speculation.  

• Thanks 1

If I have to click a link to another website that has the full article why not post it instead ?  Thus, Yahoo News is trash.   I didn't click the Yahoo Link, because I have done so in the past then directed to a different site that gave the same information, but couldn't read the full article.   I have read the article now, and  from the article :  As Omaha braced for protests on the last Saturday in May, Alayna Melendez wasn’t sure she wanted to attend. Melendez, 19, had participated in the previous night’s demonstrations, which had quickly gone from peaceful to chaotic and violent, with reports of windows broken and bottles thrown at police, and pepper balls and rubber bullets in response. Melendez heard rumors that far-right groups and anarchists were intending to incite violence. She said she even told friends earlier in the day that she was worried “someone’s going to get shot.”  

•  
  • Like 1

So the bar owner was attempting to protect his property, but instead I'm supposed to feel sorry for someone that should have seen the chaotic and violent behavior.  Melendez heard rumors of those that wanted to incite violence, but it had already happened the night before.  We're in a pandemic, but people are marching the streets at night.  People are going to protect their property.  She was right in her premonition, and they should have stayed home, because isn't that the right thing to do ?   

20 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

Not enough information in this article for me to base an opinion on.  Were there not any witnesses of the shooting ?  Were they the only individuals in the bar ?  That doesn't seem likely.  Why did the reporter not seek any of these witnesses or bystanders.  Why was the protester protesting in a bar to begin with ? Or where did the actual shooting take place.  I'm assuming it was a bar, since it states in the article that he was a bar owner.  They're going to print about people protesting at the bar owners home, but don't provide any details.  Why not interview some of those protesters to find out what they know ?  Why not seek the police report, and find out more details instead of jumping to conclusions ?  This article raises more questions than it provides, so it's worthless.  If I have to click a link to another website that has the full article why not post it instead ?  Thus, Yahoo News is trash.  

You didn't read the article did you?

4 hours ago, ctown81 said:

You didn't read the article did you?

I didn't at first, because usually Yahoo offers an article and it has a read more link to it, it sends you to a different news source that you may or not subscribe to.  I didn't initially click the link.  I did later last evening, and evidently you missed what I posted.  Had Menendez not jumped on the bar owners back, and rioting by smashing windows not been happening, I seriously doubt that the bar owner would have fired the two warning shots to get her off his back.  

That's what you fail to comprehend.  Put yourself in his shoes, and yes I don't like that he was shouting racial epithets at Jake Gardener, but once she jumped on his back that's when he fired the shots.  With all of the window smashing, arson, looting, and beatings of store owners I can't find the guy guilty even if he was a racist.  Had Menendez not jumped on his back, and the protesters just chanted and waved their signs going down the street then I would find him guilty.  Chaos breeds chaos, and this should be expected with human beings.  Had he shot her too, I'd find him not guilty.