Consequences of no football this fall

Mavchamp

9 hours ago, BillyClydePuckett said:

Everyone in any position of authority has turned coward.  Not that they were that brave to begin with.

I agree that there is some fear-mongering going on...... no one can deny that....

But let's think about this for a second.  Let's put some humanity to the data.

Currently there have been about 130,000 COVID deaths in the USA since March. 

As best as I can find....the teen pediatric death rate has been listed around 0.04%

That equals 52 nationwide.  I'll be the FIRST to admit that's a small number.

Now.... make yourself administrator possibly making decision..... school/no school.  Football/no football.  Of course....we don't know if they catch it at Walmart or at football practice.  There is no way to know.... but increased possible exposure leads to increased possible infection.

No ISD wants blood on their hands.  No Supt, no AD, not the UIL, not the TEA.....  WHY?

While that 0.04% seems TINY.... it's not zero.... that 0.04 is 52 broken families.  That's 52 schools that get rocked to their core.  That's 52 communities that have to wonder if it was worth it.  

Carthage fans....... are you OK with a possible death on your team for the sake of football?  Even just one?
Gilmer fans....... are you OK with a possible death on your team for the sake of football?  Even just one?
Sabine fans....are you OK with a possible death on your team for the sake of football?  Even just one?
Insert any ISD......

I understand the hesitation.  

I know it's a really small percentage... and a really small number in the grand scheme of things.... but it's not zero.  Those numbers lie about the devastation they represent.   

I want football.

But wouldn't want a kid's blood on my hands over it.

No one does.

I don't think they are being cowards.  I think they are being human.

JMHO

How many teens die from driving?

Teenage Driving According to the NHTSA, more than 6,000 teens die each year from injuries resulting from car collisions, making it the number one killer of teens in the United States. Typical reasons include a lack of driving experience, poor vehicle control, risk-taking, and failure to wear seat belts.

13 minutes ago, 36gut said:
How many teens die from driving?

Teenage Driving According to the NHTSA, more than 6,000 teens die each year from injuries resulting from car collisions, making it the number one killer of teens in the United States. Typical reasons include a lack of driving experience, poor vehicle control, risk-taking, and failure to wear seat belts.

But answer the question.  

Would you be OK with saying yes to football if there was a chance of a COVID death on your team????

Thats the decision leaders face. 

I understand their hesitation.  

I was at a game once where Gilmer had a player fatally injured (severed brain stem). The game didn't stop. The season didn't stop.

But that was a long time ago. Lone Star Steel had 6,000 employees. Most made union wages. Everyone was living high on the hog and took risks all the time.

34 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

But answer the question.  

Would you be OK with saying yes to football if there was a chance of a COVID death on your team????

Thats the decision leaders face. 

I understand their hesitation.  

Would anyone want football if there was a chance of COVID death on any team?

If I were a high school football player, yes, I would be willing to risk death from COVID just as I would be willing to risk death from a violent collision on the field.

Everyone who has ever suited up knows that this is a slight risk in any game or even at practice.

• Like 2

But the kids aren’t the ones making the decision.  

If you were the one making the decisions for a state... or an ISD.... would you be OK with saying yes knowing the possible consequence?  

I want football. 

But I don’t want to be the one making that decision.  I’m just saying I understand the hesitation. 

7 hours ago, 1jacket said:

How's y'all's visitors side. It's been a long time since I've been to Joaquins Stadium. 

The visitors stands were replaced about 2005. EF will definitely fill it up. The sideline will be a new experience for yalls kids and coaches. We were scheduled to get turf for this year, but circumstances killed that. I will say this: the grass looks better than I’ve ever seen it from the road. We are getting new lights. Try the chicken strips and Ram Sauce from the concession stand. You’ll thank me later. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

The visitors stands were replaced about 2005. EF will definitely fill it up. The sideline will be a new experience for yalls kids and coaches. We were scheduled to get turf for this year, but circumstances killed that. I will say this: the grass looks better than I’ve ever seen it from the road. We are getting new lights. Try the chicken strips and Ram Sauce from the concession stand. You’ll thank me later. 

Thanks for the info. I will definitely try the chicken strips and Ram Sauce. 

22 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

You got to live life. If people made decisions on worst case scenarios all of us would never leave the house. We’d never buy our kids their first car. We’d never let them play ball because one hit out of a million could paralyze them. We got an expiration date. Only God knows it. He is going to take us when he wants us. Nothing we do is going to change that day or the way He chooses to take us. I feel ya though. Tough decision in some ways. 

I agree with you to a point.  True... only God knows our day and time. 

BUT...   

He gives us free will. And we can make poor choices that are outside of His will that can shorten our lives.

I don’t think it’s His will that people die of drug overdoses.  Or suicide. Or drunk driving.  Those are poor choices that WE make that shortens our (or other’s)  lives.  His foreknowledge of our poor decisions doesn’t equal His Will. 

Same could may be said about this virus.  He can’t force us to do things to lessen our chances of getting infected.  But we could most certainly make decisions that could have poor outcomes.

JMHO.  

So everybody needs to stay home. Nobody goes to work or school. Now, that everybody is safe at home, how is everybody going to pay their bills. Let the government do it for them. The government gets their money from taxes which we pay. Nobody working, so no taxes and no money. Nobody working, so no electricity, gas, water, food, medicine or shelter for those that do not own their home. Basically nobody gets sick from covid-19 but they have no way to support, shelter and feed their families. Let's just go back to the great depression. People die everyday from many things and always will, that's life. This is no different. I came from a welfare family, where we grew our food and ate rice and beans and beans and rice. I got one pair of shoes every year, that were on my feet at school and church, otherwise I was barefooted. Any meat we ate we killed ourselves. Now I'm set up decently, everything I own is mine lock, stock and barrel. Got a decent 401k which if everything keeps going the way it is will be worthless, got the money but nothing to buy. No, I don't want to die but life goes on and I'm in the high risk zone, old, overweight, high blood pressure and diabetes. I still go to work and go shopping, I can't hide from it and I never will.  

I disagree with you over the short term about your 401k.

As long as the U.S. dollar remains the world reserve currency (and right now it's got TINA status - "There Is No Alternative"), Jay Powell at the Fed can say "Money Printer Go Brrr" and taxes won't even be necessary. As I have heard it explained, the U.S. economy is so "financialized" now that for him to ever stop printing, there'd be so little of the economy left that millions would die. 

This deliberate inattention to the rapidly rising national debt because "now it doesn't matter" stands in stark contrast to the view of the Tea Party movement right after Obama took office.

If you can just print at will, it will become useless. Thus my attention of the rapidly rising national debt, that this situation is not helping. Back to the thirties and China and Russia just move on in. If you don't like America now, see how you like it under Chinese are Russian rule.

1 minute ago, Purpleforever said:

If you can just print at will, it will become useless. Thus my attention of the rapidly rising national debt, that this situation is not helping. Back to the thirties and China and Russia just move on in. If you don't like America now, see how you like it under Chinese are Russian rule.

The avg American understands that you cannot spend more than you make or you will eventually get yourself in a bind you cannot get out of.  You can only kick a can down the road so far.  I do not think the US has a revenue problem.  We take in plenty of money.  Our problem is spending.  Our government cannot agree on what is acceptable and what is not for an expense.  And the cost of borrowing is cheaper & easier than sitting in a room and making the tough decisions about what expenses we are going to cut out to pay off the national debt.  If someone could ever make this happen, we could pay down the debt in a short time period. 

That said I am not in favor of another lockdown and retraction of the economy because the government will have to write more checks that our grand kids will have to pay unless God comes back before.  I am also in favor of in school instruction, even though I support certain students that are immune compromised or whose family has extenuating circumstances having the option for virtual learning.  I am also in favor of resuming extra curricular activities with certain restrictions for increased safety.  The key to all this is mitigating risk and offering the ISD’s protection against frivolous lawsuits in the event a student dies from Covid.

Everyone should extend some grace to those individuals tasked with these tough decisions because whatever decision they make will be met with harsh criticism.  It’s a no-win situation.

Stuff like this is why we pause to make a decision:

The rate of deaths in Texas has been accelerating. On Friday, the state surpassed 3,000 deaths 24 days after 2,000 deaths were reported. It took 53 days to get from the first death to 1,000 deaths and 39 days to get from 1,000 to 2,000 deaths.

Unlike other states, Texas does not publicly report probable coronavirus deaths, which means patients who have died without testing positive for COVID-19 could go uncounted. More Houston residents are also dying at home before they can make it to a hospital. That means the death toll is likely higher than the state’s official count.

How can anyone not give pause with these numbers?   And we don’t know where the trend will go.   May go down   May go up.  

I want some football in a serious bad way this season.  I mean... good grief... we’re ranked in most polls.  Who wants to miss that opportunity???  Certainly not me.   I’m a die hard fan.  

But this is concerning  news.  No trophy is worth the risk of losing  a player, Coach, cheerleader, band kid, booster member, or Joe Fan.   JMHO  

https://apple.news/Aja0LxB7oRHerBu0h_Lsrww