Consequences of no football this fall

Mavchamp

Let's put aside the politics and let's talk about another issue.  this may have already been discussed elsewhere,  sorry if it has but it was covered up by politics and COVID.

Have you given thought about, IF the HS season is moved to the spring, some teams may not have some of their best senior players?  There are many HS seniors who finish up in December,  graduate and enroll early to the college that has given them a scholarship, so to be eligible for their spring practice.  

Lufkin for instance.  WR Ja'Lynn Polk and  S Jerrin Thompson graduated early last year 2019, they enrolled at Texas Tech and Texas respectively in January.  If that were this year and HS football gets moved to the spring, then those two guys probably are already off to college.  Tough decision for some kids to stay or go.

This also applies to multi sport athletes, who must make a decision, what sport is best for them to play.  This probably affects mostly the 4A schools down, but it will cause an issue for some.  Example, your star QB, is also your star pitcher and star forward on the BB team and anchors the 4 X 4 relay team, with all those sports going at the same time.

31 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Let's put aside the politics and let's talk about another issue.  this may have already been discussed elsewhere,  sorry if it has but it was covered up by politics and COVID.

Have you given thought about, IF the HS season is moved to the spring, some teams may not have some of their best senior players?  There are many HS seniors who finish up in December,  graduate and enroll early to the college that has given them a scholarship, so to be eligible for their spring practice.  

Lufkin for instance.  WR Ja'Lynn Polk and  S Jerrin Thompson graduated early last year 2019, they enrolled at Texas Tech and Texas respectively in January.  If that were this year and HS football gets moved to the spring, then those two guys probably are already off to college.  Tough decision for some kids to stay or go.

This also applies to multi sport athletes, who must make a decision, what sport is best for them to play.  This probably affects mostly the 4A schools down, but it will cause an issue for some.  Example, your star QB, is also your star pitcher and star forward on the BB team and anchors the 4 X 4 relay team, with all those sports going at the same time.

I think football in spring would stop a good bit of early enrolling. 

Football in spring wouldn’t work for anyone other than 5A/6A. 

4 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

I think football in spring would stop a good bit of early enrolling. 

Football in spring wouldn’t work for anyone other than 5A/6A. 

Not sure it will slow down or affect the early enrollment at the 5A and 6A level.   How deep is the loyalty to stay with their school for football?  The ultimate goal for most HS seniors is the next level, and playing HS football in the Spring hampers their ability to play in the fall.  In the old days, most freshmen were guaranteed to be "Red Shirted", not today, those kids are looking to play college ball their first year.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/07/13/world/europe/13reuters-health-coronavirus-germany-schools.html

The largest study conducted in Germany on school children and teachers included testing in schools where there were coronavirus outbreaks.

Of the almost 2,000 samples, only 12 had antibodies, said Reinhard Berner from the University Hospital of Dresden, adding the first results gave no evidence that school children play a role in spreading the virus particularly quickly.

"Children may even act as a brake on infection," Berner told a news conference, saying infections in schools had not led to an outbreak, while the spread of the virus within households was also less dynamic than previously thought.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 6:03 PM, Mavchamp said:

I agree that there is some fear-mongering going on...... no one can deny that....

But let's think about this for a second.  Let's put some humanity to the data.

Currently there have been about 130,000 COVID deaths in the USA since March. 

As best as I can find....the teen pediatric death rate has been listed around 0.04%

That equals 52 nationwide.  I'll be the FIRST to admit that's a small number.

Now.... make yourself administrator possibly making decision..... school/no school.  Football/no football.  Of course....we don't know if they catch it at Walmart or at football practice.  There is no way to know.... but increased possible exposure leads to increased possible infection.

No ISD wants blood on their hands.  No Supt, no AD, not the UIL, not the TEA.....  WHY?

While that 0.04% seems TINY.... it's not zero.... that 0.04 is 52 broken families.  That's 52 schools that get rocked to their core.  That's 52 communities that have to wonder if it was worth it.  

Carthage fans....... are you OK with a possible death on your team for the sake of football?  Even just one?
Gilmer fans....... are you OK with a possible death on your team for the sake of football?  Even just one?
Sabine fans....are you OK with a possible death on your team for the sake of football?  Even just one?
Insert any ISD......

I understand the hesitation.  

I know it's a really small percentage... and a really small number in the grand scheme of things.... but it's not zero.  Those numbers lie about the devastation they represent.   

I want football.

But wouldn't want a kid's blood on my hands over it.

No one does.

I don't think they are being cowards.  I think they are being human.

JMHO

Way too much drama Mavchamp.  Might as well board up all the schools and never go back, that's the only way to ensure zero during any period of time.  If it's not COVID, kids will contract something else during any given year and kids will die from it, same as they have throughout all of history.  Nobody has or will have "blood on their hands."  This is a part of life.  Anyone that wants to reach zero needs to construct a plastic bubble around their home and stay put.  As for me and my house, we'll keep living and not allow fear to be instilled in us by a system that is looking to control so many aspects of our lives.

Also, I checked the CDC site this morning.  Based on their reported numbers, there have been a total of 188 deaths of persons 24 and under.  That's out of a population of 330 million.  That's almost too small a percentage to calculate.  If anyone is concerned about them dying of COVID, they have a much greater problem as a kid is much more likely to die in a car accident traveling to/from school than COVID, so really they should never travel by automobile, right?  A 2016 study using data by the CDC found that of the 20,360 deaths of kids ages 1 to 19, 4,074 died in auto accidents. Would we all not have just as much "blood on our hands" knowingly having our kids travel to/from school, or really anywhere, in automobiles knowing the odds of them being killed in an accident are drastically greater than the almighty COVID? 

We have to get back to living and stop living in fear of something that isn't justified.  

So many of these kids depend on athletics to get them out of some really poor living conditions and get them a college education they would not otherwise get. I do fear that the cure for this virus will be worse then the virus itself.

I hate to say it, some the kids wouldn't be in school at all if it wasn't for athletics!! The emotional well being of our kids is also a concern as they do not have the social interaction that helps to mature them into young adults. 

People will continue to get sick through out life, I still maintain that we would not have known the difference between this flu season and last years season if the media hadn't blown this up.  

Day cares have been open across the state and the kids aren't the ones getting sick inside these facilities.

It's the health care industry that sounded the alarm.

The media simply publicized their fears of being overwhelmed by COVID-19 patients, especially when they lacked PPE.

The front-line medical personnel didn't sign up to die on the job.

5 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

Way too much drama Mavchamp.  Might as well board up all the schools and never go back, that's the only way to ensure zero during any period of time.  If it's not COVID, kids will contract something else during any given year and kids will die from it, same as they have throughout all of history.  Nobody has or will have "blood on their hands."  This is a part of life.  Anyone that wants to reach zero needs to construct a plastic bubble around their home and stay put.  As for me and my house, we'll keep living and not allow fear to be instilled in us by a system that is looking to control so many aspects of our lives.

Also, I checked the CDC site this morning.  Based on their reported numbers, there have been a total of 188 deaths of persons 24 and under.  That's out of a population of 330 million.  That's almost too small a percentage to calculate.  If anyone is concerned about them dying of COVID, they have a much greater problem as a kid is much more likely to die in a car accident traveling to/from school than COVID, so really they should never travel by automobile, right?  A 2016 study using data by the CDC found that of the 20,360 deaths of kids ages 1 to 19, 4,074 died in auto accidents. Would we all not have just as much "blood on our hands" knowingly having our kids travel to/from school, or really anywhere, in automobiles knowing the odds of them being killed in an accident are drastically greater than the almighty COVID? 

We have to get back to living and stop living in fear of something that isn't justified.  

Drama?  It's called reality.  I work in the ER... and I'm seeing this every day.  I meet people EVERY DAY that don't believe this is real or a serious illness until it affects them or someone they know.

As of this morning......JUST Longview has almost 50 hospitalized COVID cases with a little over a third of them on ventilators/in ICU units in just ONE of the two hospitals in the city.  I have no idea how many the other facility has.  Add their numbers with ours.....  and then think about putting those numbers to a statewide metric... and it SHOULD be concerning.  That's not drama.... that's REAL.  If one city of 80K can produce that many COVID sick/critical patients...... think about it.  I'm not talking about positive asymptomatic people.  I'm talking about patients that are sick enough to be hospitalized.  We are sitting at about 60-70% capacity in ICU already and Longview isn't even a hot spot.

And we're all aware of how students are VERY low risk to getting sick..... even when they are positive with the virus.  But.... unfortunately.... schools can't be open without teachers, cafeteria workers, staff, etc... which are all adults.  Yeah.... the students are all unlikely to get sick.... even if infected.  But the adults aren't as lucky...... the school districts have to consider the health of their staff too.  Not saying they shouldn't open.... just saying they need some guidelines to work with. We are one of the ONLY industrialized nations in the world arguing over the efficacy of masks......  we can't even get people to wear masks..... but we want to force people to the front lines while screaming about our personal freedom.  How cavalier of them.  

And as far as "blood on their hands"....... I think everyone would agree we live in a very litigious society.  You are naive if you think no family would ever come after an ISD if they had a death possibly tied to a school acquired infection.  How do I know this?  Because hospitals get sued for hospital-acquired infections every single day.  But besides the money..... you are also wrong to assume any ISD would be nonchalant about a COVID death of a staff or a student.  No one wants that blame on them....which is where it would fall according to the family, the media, etc, etc, etc. 

I'm ready for things to open.  I want football this fall more than anyone.

But until we can at least get most to agree that wearing masks curbs the spread of this..... and actually wearing them..... I have trouble seeing how getting schools and sports is going to happen quickly.   If folks would do it..... We'd have this under control in a couple of months.... or less.    We'd have football, basketball, you name it. 

But..... we're going to learn this the hard way it appears.  

How many of the numbers are positive for the antibodies Which indicates they had the virus and recovered  not positive tests.

if the can BS you into wearing a mask in 90 degree weather with fake numbers what else can they BS you into?

Three industrialized nations are arguing the efficacy of masks: The United States, Brazil, and the United Kingdom.

Which three industrialized nations are seeing surging numbers????:  The United States, Brazil, and the United Kingdom.  

Coincidence?

Who's numbers are going down and things are opening up smoother???  China, Hong Kong,Japan, most of Asia in fact.... most of Europe....  they are all wearing masks.

Coincidence?

It seems to me.... the ones griping about how long this is lasting is tied to those refusing to do the simplest thing.  Continue to refuse..... the longer it lasts.

Want sports back?  Want stores and bars and restaurants back to 100% quicker?  Watch the ones that are actually doing it without all the spikes and surges.  

But seeing soccer and baseball come back in other countries...... seems great.  Wish we could bother to do the same.

• Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 7:22 PM, Mavchamp said:

Three industrialized nations are arguing the efficacy of masks: The United States, Brazil, and the United Kingdom.

Which three industrialized nations are seeing surging numbers????:  The United States, Brazil, and the United Kingdom.  

Coincidence?

Who's numbers are going down and things are opening up smoother???  China, Hong Kong,Japan, most of Asia in fact.... most of Europe....  they are all wearing masks.

Coincidence?

It seems to me.... the ones griping about how long this is lasting is tied to those refusing to do the simplest thing.  Continue to refuse..... the longer it lasts.

Want sports back?  Want stores and bars and restaurants back to 100% quicker?  Watch the ones that are actually doing it without all the spikes and surges.  

But seeing soccer and baseball come back in other countries...... seems great.  Wish we could bother to do the same.

Who's numbers are going down?  Are you another hater of the US always finding fault with our country while singing the praises of others? 

The US numbers are going down, from 16,909 COVID deaths the week of 4/18 to only 174 the week of 7/11, a steady decline every week from mid April to now.  The only number going up is number of positive tests, but anyone that hasn't had their head in the sand knows those numbers have been found to be skewed with just one significant example of some 300 testing sites in Florida reporting 100% of their tests as positive. 

COVID numbers from the CDC's site:

COVID Deaths Tracking.xlsx

On 7/17/2020 at 7:22 PM, Mavchamp said:

Coincidence?

Coincidence?

What about Germany, Canada, Australia, Norway, Finland, Denmark?  Hardly any of their population wears a mask.  The US wears masks at a dramatically higher rate.  There is not a correlation with mask wearing and countries doing better against covid.

Close to two in three Americans expect face masks to be normal ...

• Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 6:25 PM, Mavchamp said:

Drama?  It's called reality.  I work in the ER... and I'm seeing this every day.  I meet people EVERY DAY that don't believe this is real or a serious illness until it affects them or someone they know.

As of this morning......JUST Longview has almost 50 hospitalized COVID cases with a little over a third of them on ventilators/in ICU units in just ONE of the two hospitals in the city.  I have no idea how many the other facility has.  Add their numbers with ours.....  and then think about putting those numbers to a statewide metric... and it SHOULD be concerning.  That's not drama.... that's REAL.  If one city of 80K can produce that many COVID sick/critical patients...... think about it.  I'm not talking about positive asymptomatic people.  I'm talking about patients that are sick enough to be hospitalized.  We are sitting at about 60-70% capacity in ICU already and Longview isn't even a hot spot.

And we're all aware of how students are VERY low risk to getting sick..... even when they are positive with the virus.  But.... unfortunately.... schools can't be open without teachers, cafeteria workers, staff, etc... which are all adults.  Yeah.... the students are all unlikely to get sick.... even if infected.  But the adults aren't as lucky...... the school districts have to consider the health of their staff too.  Not saying they shouldn't open.... just saying they need some guidelines to work with. We are one of the ONLY industrialized nations in the world arguing over the efficacy of masks......  we can't even get people to wear masks..... but we want to force people to the front lines while screaming about our personal freedom.  How cavalier of them.  

And as far as "blood on their hands"....... I think everyone would agree we live in a very litigious society.  You are naive if you think no family would ever come after an ISD if they had a death possibly tied to a school acquired infection.  How do I know this?  Because hospitals get sued for hospital-acquired infections every single day.  But besides the money..... you are also wrong to assume any ISD would be nonchalant about a COVID death of a staff or a student.  No one wants that blame on them....which is where it would fall according to the family, the media, etc, etc, etc. 

I'm ready for things to open.  I want football this fall more than anyone.

But until we can at least get most to agree that wearing masks curbs the spread of this..... and actually wearing them..... I have trouble seeing how getting schools and sports is going to happen quickly.   If folks would do it..... We'd have this under control in a couple of months.... or less.    We'd have football, basketball, you name it. 

But..... we're going to learn this the hard way it appears.  

You failed to address the concern that kids are much more likely to die in an auto accident traveling too/from school than from COVID (4,000+ auto deaths annually for 0-19 year olds to only 188 COVID to-date) contracted at school or who knows where.  As many do, just ignore the numbers when they don't match your narrative.  The chance of a person ages 0-24 dying from COVID is as close to zero as one can get, 188 out of 330,000,000; or 0.000057%

How can a presumably well-educated person (you identify as an ER Nurse) not run the numbers and see the truth?

• Thanks 1