So, How Many of You Spent Your Weekend In Gettysburg?

BarryLaverty

Chasing down a flag burning event hosted by Antifa? It was a HOAX. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/gettysburg-antifa-flag-burning-hoax-dupes-right-wing-protesters-2020-7

An antifa hoax about a 'peaceful flag burning to resist police' riled up right-wing groups in Gettysburg for no reason

Jul 4, 2020, 1:45 PM

Gettysburg Antifa
Various alt-right groups including militias, the oath keepers, a scattering of klansmen, and confederate flag advocates, descend upon the Gettysburg battlefield to defend it from a rumored confederate flag burning by anti-fascist groups on July 1, 2017 at the Gettysburg National Park in Gettysburg, PA. The rumor turned out to be false. 
Andrew Lichtenstein/ Corbis via Getty Images
  • A conspiracy over a potential flag burning and children getting their faces painted by Antifa, short for "anti-fascist," drew counter-protesters to the Gettysburg battlefield days in advance for an event that never materialized.
  • The commotion arose from a mysterious Facebook event called "Left Behind USA," which later went missing, calling for "peaceful flag burning to resist police" in the national park on July 4.
  • A smattering of self-proclaimed oath keepers, Confederate flag bearers, and various right-wing militias descended on Gettysburg days in advance, but nothing has happened so far, and the official Antifa chapter for Central Pennsylvania has denied any involvement.
  • "We are not even remotely involved," the Central PA Antifa chapter wrote in an email. "Let them give each other COVID. We will be home with our families."

A bizarre episode has unfolded at one of the nation's most storied sites, with right-wing groups descending on the Gettysburg battlefield for no sound reason.

The commotion started in late June, with a mysterious Facebook event under the title "Left Behind USA," promising "peaceful flag burning to resist police" at the Gettysburg National Park on July 4. 

A few Confederate flag bearers, self-proclaimed oath keepers, and various right-wing militias descended on the park on July 1, anticipating a clash that has yet to materialize.

Local news outlets and independent fact checkers have debunked the claim that Antifa —  a decentralized, leaderless movement dedicated to combatting right-wing authoritarianism and white supremacy — was planning some sort of flag burning, and even the official Antifa chapter for Central Pennsylvania has denied any involvement. 

"We are not even remotely involved," the Central PA Antifa chapter wrote in an email to the local Evening Sun newspaper. "Let them give each other COVID. We will be home with our families."

Local police issued a statement that avoided delving into any of the conspiracy claims.

"We want to assure those we serve that we are taking all precautions at our disposal to maintain the safety of all residents and visitors to the area as well as the protection of property to include businesses, homes, monuments, churches and other historical treasures located in the greater Gettysburg area," Gettysburg Borough Police Chief Robert Glenny Jr. wrote.

As of the afternoon of July 4th, local news outlets and observers on the ground had yet to report any kind of anti-fascist or flag burning presence on the grounds, but some of the right-wing protesters were still there. 

In 2017, a similar episode unfolded when a hoax circulated about Civil War graves to be desecrated by Antifa, but nothing of the sort ever ended up happening.

This wasn’t even worth posting really.  Antifa puts out they’re going to do something to get somebody rialed up knowing they’re not going to show up anyway.  That’s just stirring things up for fun.  Stupid and senseless.  Glad to see there are a lot of Americans willing to stand up to a flag burning

53 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

This wasn’t even worth posting really.  Antifa puts out they’re going to do something to get somebody rialed up knowing they’re not going to show up anyway.  That’s just stirring things up for fun.  Stupid and senseless.  Glad to see there are a lot of Americans willing to stand up to a flag burning

I really should check in with you before I post. 😏

You not read that 'Antifa' didn't advertise it, didn't plan it, disavowed involvement? This just showed that people will dance to the tune of their fears, not show their patriotism better than anyone else. 

26 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

You not read that 'Antifa' didn't advertise it, didn't plan it, disavowed involvement? This just showed that people will dance to the tune of their fears, not show their patriotism better than anyone else. 

I have a policy: If You post one of these long posts, I typically ignore it.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Nobody showed fear by showing up to stop a flag burning.  Do you understand what fear is?  There is a difference in fear and standing up for what is right.  

you don’t have to check in with anybody, if you want to post stuff that makes you look dumb then by all means post it.  

50 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

As if antifa would publicly say they cried wolf?!  How stupid would they be to do that.  

1 hour ago, BarryLaverty said:

They got trolled. It's okay! Happens to the best of hate groups! 🤣

Antifa is the hate group in this ordeal, not the folks standing up for what’s right.  Leave it to a liberal to call patriots a bunch of haters

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

Tells me the coals are hot and people are looking for kindling. Don't think it will be long now.

People tired of seeing it on the news. Before you 1st amendment me - remember it protects you from the government. Not Bubba

11 minutes ago, osup116 said:

Tells me the coals are hot and people are looking for kindling. Don't think it will be long now.

People tired of seeing it on the news. Before you 1st amendment me - remember it protects you from the government. Not Bubba

Just have to ask, looking at your membership, you say your location is in Hudson--the one right outside of Lufkin.  Man, did I have a bunch of friends from that area years ago. Do they have football yet? 

1 hour ago, DannyZuco said:

Just have to ask, looking at your membership, you say your location is in Hudson--the one right outside of Lufkin.  Man, did I have a bunch of friends from that area years ago. Do they have football yet? 

No Football - Wished they did

14 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

Dance to the tune of fears? Sounds like you and covid to me. 🤷‍♂️