Salary issue if season cancelled

justluvfb

19 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Should they get paid for something they didn’t do?

That’s a slippery slope in education lol. 

We wouldn’t need Athletic Directors at all along with most of the administration if the school stays virtual.

2 hours ago, BillyClydePuckett said:

A bunch of teachers got paid for not teaching from March through May.  Some did Remote Teaching but many did not.

I don’t know about that. 

I know my March-May was a hell of a lot more pain in the butt then it would have been just being in school.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BillyClydePuckett said:

A bunch of teachers got paid for not teaching from March through May.  Some did Remote Teaching but many did not.

In our district we did all we could. Zoom, online, packets, calls, and anything else you could think of. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 8:37 PM, NATUREBOY98 said:

I wouldn’t want to take their stipends away. They got families and may have their budget based on it or left a job with a higher salary but the new stipend made the move worth it. Saying all that schools may have to cut cost where they can? Is that even legal? Isn’t in their contract? 

Most coaches have Dual Contracts. For 2020-2021, coaches have agreed to work for a certain salary. I guarantee you no coach is saying please cancel my sport, and I think districts will open themselves up for many grievances if they try this. 

If sports are cancelled in 20-21, look for districts to have a plan for coaching stipends based on completed seasons going forward.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 8:32 PM, Eagleborn said:

Should they get paid for something they didn’t do?

Easy answer, "No." 

Another good reason school vouchers is the best option.  Parents get a voucher and send their kid(s) to the school of their choosing.  Schools are motivated to provide a good product or they have fewer students and less money.  If school isn't open, the parent doesn't give them the voucher and there is no money to pay those who are not working, resulting in motivation to find a way to be open and teachers motivated to be there teaching. 

Only government and/or government funded institutions would ever have an expectation of being paid if they weren't providing the service they are expected to provide and being paid to provide.

1 hour ago, Everide2016 said:

Easy answer, "No." 

Another good reason school vouchers is the best option.  Parents get a voucher and send their kid(s) to the school of their choosing.  Schools are motivated to provide a good product or they have fewer students and less money.  If school isn't open, the parent doesn't give them the voucher and there is no money to pay those who are not working, resulting in motivation to find a way to be open and teachers motivated to be there teaching. 

Only government and/or government funded institutions would ever have an expectation of being paid if they weren't providing the service they are expected to provide and being paid to provide.

Amen! 

10 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

Easy answer, "No." 

Dan Patrick.   Is that you??

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bignasty said:

Dan Patrick.   Is that you??

Not sure what that means or is asking.  My opinion is just mine, don't know anything about Dan Patrick.  My opinion from someone that believes people should work in order to be paid including teachers.  Same for all the extra unemployment benefit folks are getting now, they should have to do something of value in order to keep receiving it other than sitting at home and submitting 3 applications per week from their computer.

6 minutes ago, bignasty said:

So teachers working from home doing virtual teaching is not working in your view?

if you don’t know who Dan Patrick is then do your homework. Your the one who mentioned school vouchers!!!

Do you work for CNN, because you either have an issue with reading comprehension or you just assign whatever meaning you choose to what you read and then put it back out as though it was what was originally said. 

I didn't say per your post, 'teachers working form home doing virtual teaching is not working.'  I said "people should work in order to be paid including teachers."  If they are doing their job, from wherever it is, pay them.  If they are not doing the job, don't pay them.  Pretty simple and also fair. 

Also, I didn't say I "don't know who Dan Patrick is."  I just don't care for him so I don't watch the duffus.  If you like him, good for you.

22 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

Easy answer, "No." 

I’m fine with that mindset. I just expect to start getting paid for all of things I do/extra hours that I don’t get paid for every year. My stipend is probably less than that though.

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

I’m fine with that mindset. I just expect to start getting paid for all of things I do/extra hours that I don’t get paid for every year. My stipend is probably less than that though.

Any top performer does extra things and put in extra hours, things and hours that are outside their normal job description and normal job hours.  I've found throughout my career that those that quibble over having to go beyond the call-of-duty usually don't rise to the top or in general aren't as successful as those that just take care of business because it's what is needed.  Those at the top have realized throughout their career, even when they were near the bottom, that doing more than what's in their job description and sometimes having to do this outside their usual hours is just part of the overall job and they simply do it because it's what is needed. 

Having the expectation to get paid for all the things one does and any extra time is a minimum wage mindset which much of our society has.  Those that want to get paid for every minute worked should stick with the jobs that require punching a clock. 

Then there's also those that just get a case of feeling slighted and like to grumble.

Just my humble opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

Do you work for CNN, because you either have an issue with reading comprehension or you just assign whatever meaning you choose to what you read and then put it back out as though it was what was originally said. 

I didn't say per your post, 'teachers working form home doing virtual teaching is not working.'  I said "people should work in order to be paid including teachers."  If they are doing their job, from wherever it is, pay them.  If they are not doing the job, don't pay them.  Pretty simple and also fair. 

Also, I didn't say I "don't know who Dan Patrick is."  I just don't care for him so I don't watch the duffus.  If you like him, good for you.

Sir yes sir!!!!

7 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

Any top performer does extra things and put in extra hours, things and hours that are outside their normal job description and normal job hours.  I've found throughout my career that those that quibble over having to go beyond the call-of-duty usually don't rise to the top or in general aren't as successful as those that just take care of business because it's what is needed.  Those at the top have realized throughout their career, even when they were near the bottom, that doing more than what's in their job description and sometimes having to do this outside their usual hours is just part of the overall job and they simply do it because it's what is needed. 

Having the expectation to get paid for all the things one does and any extra time is a minimum wage mindset which much of our society has.  Those that want to get paid for every minute worked should stick with the jobs that require punching a clock. 

Then there's also those that just get a case of feeling slighted and like to grumble.

Just my humble opinion.

The problem with your logic that some jobs actually pay less than minimum wage of you actually break your “paid salary” down by how many hours you actually work for it. 

Time is money. 

On 7/22/2020 at 12:23 AM, bignasty said:

Dan Patrick’s Cronie.  Is that you?

No sir, just a fan of schools that provide a quality education. Charters and privates do a better job of that because of red tape bueracrats place in public schools.  I see vouchers or parent school choice as a way for good folks including our public educators to eliminate the Austin and Washington control.  

I'm guessing since you are pro school monopolies that you aren't a free market kinda of guy? 

19 hours ago, Valhalla said:

The problem with your logic that some jobs actually pay less than minimum wage of you actually break your “paid salary” down by how many hours you actually work for it. 

Time is money. 

Everything he said to you went right over your head

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, highschoolfootball99 said:

Everything he said to you went right over your head

No, I understood it. That mentality is wrong though. That where you get people who work 100 hour work week while only really being paid for 40 hours.