UIL release about eligibility for those not taking in-person classes

Eagleborn

Just now, Valhalla said:

I don’t agree with that. 

If you are concerned enough about COVID to avoid sending your kid to school then how can you justify sending them to participate in an extracurricular activity?

I don’t agree with it either. Powers to be are taking care of the hands that feed them. 

Also, say your school has athletics during 4th period..... game plan, weights... that stuff. You miss out on that. Unless they say your allowed to go up there for that which defeats the purpose of keeping kids at home anyways. 

Also again, same parents that are wanting to keep kids at home are the ones that complained about having to home school their kids in the past spring. 

While I’m at it, this tells me that UIL thinks COVID is a concern but sports are more important. 

5 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I don’t agree with that. 

If you are concerned enough about COVID to avoid sending your kid to school then how can you justify sending them to participate in an extracurricular activity?

Totally agree, this makes no sense ... 

57 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I don’t agree with that. 

I mean yeah, the absence of logic seems painfully obvious, but I guess it isn’t.

It's gonna be "both/and" rather than "either/or."

Parents will be able to choose on-campus, at-home, or a combination of both.

Students will be allowed to choose any of the three and still participate. 

Anything less, and parents will go nuts.

The TEA and UIL will do whatever it takes to avoid the wrath of Texas parents. That goes double for Abbott. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

This sentence is interesting though.

“Schools may develop local policies with additional requirements for participation.” 

Schools can say have to be on campus in classes to participate................ 

• Like 1

While a lot of this is about health reasons, a big percentage of it is about the ensuing lawsuits trying to get kids to play.

It may not matter in the long run if there are no games, but if the Dallas ISD says remote learning = no sports and the Austin ISD says remote learning = still sports, that's not going to fly.

2 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

Seems this would overrule schools that have said you must be on campus to participate. 

https://www.uiltexas.org/athletics/covid-19-information

Schools may develop local policies with additional requirements for participation. 

Still a local decision.... UIL is saying that they are eligible if the LEA doesn’t develop additional policies.

Just now, Dawgman said:

Schools may develop local policies with additional requirements for participation. 

Still a local decision.... UIL is saying that they are eligible if the LEA doesn’t develop additional policies.

Any board member who votes in favor of this will lose their next election. 

IMO no one wants to be the bad guy and they keep kicking this can down the road and on to the next person. The UIL and TEA are going to force ISDs to make these decisions. Local superintendents are going to be forced to make some tough decisions.

IMO the school districts cannot make the “right” decision because they will be criticized for whatever they do. Let the kids play sports and Covid runs through the locker room and a student passes away, the same people calling for football right now, will jump on the why did you let the play band wagon.

They have a plan for the STAAR test but are giving different guiding policies for opening schools this fall. It’s almost like the commissioner of education is pushing his charter school agenda. He tried to get everyone on the year round model and advised opening earlier, but when the districts didn’t jump on that train, now he says open later.

I pray for our superintendent. This is a tough job and call. Selfishly, I want football in the fall. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dawgman said:

IMO no one wants to be the bad guy and they keep kicking this can down the road and on to the next person. The UIL and TEA are going to force ISDs to make these decisions. Local superintendents are going to be forced to make some tough decisions.

IMO the school districts cannot make the “right” decision because they will be criticized for whatever they do. Let the kids play sports and Covid runs through the locker room and a student passes away, the same people calling for football right now, will jump on the why did you let the play band wagon.

They have a plan for the STAAR test but are giving different guiding policies for opening schools this fall. It’s almost like the commissioner of education is pushing his charter school agenda. He tried to get everyone on the year round model and advised opening earlier, but when the districts didn’t jump on that train, now he says open later.

I pray for our superintendent. This is a tough job and call. Selfishly, I want football in the fall. 

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dawgman said:

Regardless of the decision each district better make sure their attorney retainer is paid up and they keep exceptional records to support their decisions.

47 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Regardless of the decision each district better make sure their attorney retainer is paid up and they keep exceptional records to support their decisions.

And this is why I think that there won’t be sports in the fall. If they cancel all UIL extracurricular events, there’s nothing anyone can do. 

6 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

It’s a shame that everything in this county revolves around politics. 

Politics makes the world go round.....THATS why you should all get involved and elect CONSERVATIVE candidates......dont trust someone claiming to be a Republican....research and vote for the conservative candidate....and NEVER vote for a Democrat......

• Stinks 2

11 hours ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

Politics makes the world go round.....THATS why you should all get involved and elect CONSERVATIVE candidates......dont trust someone claiming to be a Republican....research and vote for the conservative candidate....and NEVER vote for a Democrat......

Last election was by process of elimination and this one will be too.