UIL release about eligibility for those not taking in-person classes

Eagleborn

1 hour ago, ObiOne said:

Higher chance of kids dying in vehicle accident on the way to school.  You can't remove all risk....but the risk to kids from Covid is extremely low.

What is the death rate of teachers, admin, janitors, and cafeteria workers who will contact the virus through the kids ?  That is the bigger question.  

Also a big question in school closing is how big is the education gap is going to happen between the haves and have nots ?  I know parents who barely know shapes and numbers trying to teach their kids.  

Closing vs reopening is going to be a tough decision.  

3 minutes ago, BlahBlah said:

What is the death rate of teachers, admin, janitors, and cafeteria workers who will contact the virus through the kids ?  That is the bigger question.  

Also a big question in school closing is how big is the education gap is going to happen between the haves and have nots ?  I know parents who barely know shapes and numbers trying to teach their kids.  

Closing vs reopening is going to be a tough decision.  

Children rarely transmit COVID-19, doctors write in new commentary

A commentary published in the journal Pediatrics concludes that children infrequently transmit COVID-19 to each other or to adults 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/07/200710100934.htm

• Like 1

Just now, ObiOne said:

Children rarely transmit COVID-19, doctors write in new commentary

A commentary published in the journal Pediatrics concludes that children infrequently transmit COVID-19 to each other or to adults 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/07/200710100934.htm

You know the study says 4 out of 5 doctors prescribe this drug ?  These doctors maybe the 5th doctors.  The 17 year old from Lancaster passed the virus to all members of her family.  

14 minutes ago, BlahBlah said:

You know the study says 4 out of 5 doctors prescribe this drug ?  These doctors maybe the 5th doctors.  The 17 year old from Lancaster passed the virus to all members of her family.  

I think a study by Journal Pediatrics may have a little more validity than the anecdotal case you reference.  The study doesn't say it is impossible for kids to transmit.  Just rare.

16 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

I think a study by Journal Pediatrics may have a little more validity than the anecdotal case you reference.  The study doesn't say it is impossible for kids to transmit.  Just rare.

Then why the UIL kids to wear mask during Summer workouts.  I think the UIL has got a no BS assessment from qualified people.  I believe in the Science community  around the world.  Maybe all the false politicalized  Covid information getting put out media is the reason why America is still having problems with the virus.  Most of the world has the virus somewhat controlled.  

For example we say 6ft. social distance, but Asian scientist have found that the virus goes out to at least 27 ft.  from the human body.  You can't run a business  with 27 ft. social distancing.  

2 minutes ago, BlahBlah said:

Then why the UIL kids to wear mask during Summer workouts.  I think the UIL has got a no BS assessment from qualified people.  I believe in the Science community  around the world.  Maybe all the false politicalized  Covid information getting put out media is the reason why America is still having problems with the virus.  Most of the world has the virus somewhat controlled.  

For example we say 6ft. social distance, but Asian scientist have found that the virus goes out to at least 27 ft.  from the human body.  You can't run a business  with 27 ft. social distancing.  

I don't think masks are needed for summer workouts or anything else for that matter....unless they choose that for themselves.  I agree with the bolded.  I think the whole testing and reporting system is a crock.  Listen to this 4 minute video if you don't mind.  1 positive case accounted for 17 total cases.  This is likely very common with the new criteria.

Look a video of politicians being politicians.  

Politicians have one job too do.  That is keep the money flowing.  If people are scared to come out of their house and spend money.  Then the politicians have to downsize the threat so people are less scared.  Example; President Bush told the American people to go out shopping after 9-11 happened.  Too many people were at home glued to the TV.  .  

4 minutes ago, BlahBlah said:

Look a video of politicians being politicians.  

Politicians have one job too do.  That is keep the money flowing.  If people are scared to come out of their house and spend money.  Then the politicians have to downsize the threat so people are less scared.  Example; President Bush told the American people to go out shopping after 9-11 happened.  Too many people were at home glued to the TV.  .  

Doesn't sound like you watched the video.

Here is a video of a guys opinion who says it better than me. This was sent to me by my sister who will be a 1rst year teacher at Cleburne ISD.  How many students and teachers are we going to lose before we shut it down again.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/virus-forced-schools-online-students-follow-70205874

Virus forced schools online, but many students didn't follow

https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2020/04/10/where-are-they-students-go-missing-in.html

Where Are They? Students Go Missing in Shift to Remote Classes

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/04/just-give-distance-learning/610222/

Distance Learning Isn’t Working

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/us/coronavirus-schools-attendance-absent.html

As School Moves Online, Many Students Stay Logged Out

Teachers at some schools across the country report that fewer than half of their students are participating in online learning.

On 7/10/2020 at 2:18 PM, DawgNation2015 said:

Regardless of the decision each district better make sure their attorney retainer is paid up and they keep exceptional records to support their decisions.

Yep, and have EVERYONE sign a liability waiver, for whatever it's worth.

• Like 1

No school is going to place too many additional restrictions.  I think they have to show up to practice for sure and if they really want to show up or be on a conditioning program to reduce the chance of injury. It helps to avoid pine time when you can’t stand up at the end of the first.  Class Room time and learning will be optional

Athletics the class is not always last period.

a student stays home 2nd period to take remote learning algebra, Athletics is 3rd and History 4th.

Some do not realize even staying home to take a remote class student has to be in in person on the computer during actual class time.

not to be taken when they want.

6 hours ago, sackem said:

also taking classes at home grades will not be considered for class ranking.

one could have Aunt Sue (graduated sumacumladeda) on the floor behind student out of camera range, giving answers. 

Is this what the TEA said?

I think your understanding of virtual classes — what they actually are (and what they are not) and how they work — is a bit lacking, sackem. Students (and teachers, for that matter), by and large, won't really be "on camera" for these online courses, and they certainly won't be "on camera" for any sort of test. Most of them will be utilizing whatever LMS the district has contracted. Almost all of those LMS systems have lockdown tools that prevent students from opening more tabs in their browser during a test or quiz, which prevents being able to google questions, although, if the teachers have just ripped questions straight from TeachersPayTeachers or some other course-sharing site, then that's poor instruction, and the students have every right to Google the answers and fill in the blank. The teacher copied the work, the students can too and it's a bit hypocritical to come down on them too hard for it. There will still be some cheating, but there always is, even in person. "Attendance" will likely come in the form of some daily progress or check in, not sitting in front of a computer at a specific allocated time. There could be Zoom, Google Meet, Skype-type check ins and "lectures," but probably not as a full replacement of instruction. More likely, those types of video conferences will be reserved for small-group breakouts for the teacher to address content questions, give feedback on coursework, etc. There won't be many 1-on-1 conferences, if any, because that becomes a liability for the teacher, the student and the district. These nuances will vary from district-to-district, but for the most part, there will be some consistency set by the TEA, and local Sup's are most likely communicating/meeting with each other and having these conversations in order to present some unity across the board.

On 7/10/2020 at 11:07 AM, Valhalla said:

I don’t agree with that. 

If you are concerned enough about COVID to avoid sending your kid to school then how can you justify sending them to participate in an extracurricular activity?

I think a lot of parents can't afford to keep kids home at home all day. Food and utilities are scary for some lol.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/08/coronavirus-trump-threatens-to-cut-school-funding-slams-cdc-reopening-guidelines.html
Why is everyone ignoring what the President has been saying for weeks and repeated in an interviewed with Chris Wallace aired Sunday?

Anything other than in-person classes and you as a public school district lose the 10 percent of funding that comes from the federal government.

I thought this area was very friendly to Trump and took his word on things. My county voted 82.5 percent for him in 2016.

I had no idea all the districts around here were so flush with revenue that they could budget with 10 percent less coming in than they had planned on.

12 minutes ago, 36gut said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/08/coronavirus-trump-threatens-to-cut-school-funding-slams-cdc-reopening-guidelines.html
Why is everyone ignoring what the President has been saying for weeks and repeated in an interviewed with Chris Wallace aired Sunday?

Anything other than in-person classes and you as a public school district lose the 10 percent of funding that comes from the federal government.

I thought this area was very friendly to Trump and took his word on things. My county voted 82.5 percent for him in 2016.

I had no idea all the districts around here were so flush with revenue that they could budget with 10 percent less coming in than they had planned on.

LoL lots and lots of the MAGA crew ignore lots and lots of what Father MAGA says and simply do as he orders and tell themselves he is for THEM!

On 7/14/2020 at 11:24 AM, BlahBlah said:

Tell that to the family of  17-year-old. Jameela Dirrean-Emoni Barber.  She contracted and died from Covid-19.  She was a student at Lancaster ISD.  She was healthy and played school sports , including softball.  Imagine if school was not shutdown, and UIL had not shutdown sports. They were however, so it was still tragic, but no controversy.    Imagine the controversy if those two things haven't happened.  No school wants to find themselves in this situation.  

Crickets......

21 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

Crickets......

It is very sad for any child to die.  But the seasonal flu is much more dangerous to children.  But also much less politicized to date.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/death-teen-athlete-reminder-flu-can-kill-anyone-n718381

Kayla Linton was a healthy, all-around athlete, but being fit did not protect her from the flu.

Linton, who died last week in Baltimore, is among the dozens of often perfectly healthy children who die from influenza every year in the U.S.

CDC says 15 children under 18 have died in the 2016-2017 flu season. It’s probably more than that — it takes a few weeks for CDC to gather the information, and not all states report flu deaths quickly or in the same way. In the last flu season, 89 children died.