Tyler ISD To Consider Renaming Lee and John Tyler

Stoney

Just now, MavGrad99 said:

Although, I don't care if they change it to something like Tyler East and Tyler West etc... but you still have Tyler, the city, named after.... *gasp* John Tyler *gasp*

Smith County. James Smith was a general during the Texas Revolution. He was from South Carolina and fought in the Creek Indian Wars. Shine the spotlight on that with today’s morals and see what turns up.

I find it ironic that the Tyler ISD is thinking of changing the name of John Tyler HS.   I guess erasing history is like eating an elephant, one bite at a time.   Someday, somewhere, somebody is going to have the cajones to say, “Not Here”.

Btw, PNG has had an approval since 1978 from the Cherokee Nation to use the Mascot Indians, and Cherokee as their fight song.  Now the head of the Cherokee Nation (evidently a very sensitive person), has rescinded the approval.   Now PNG folks are on the warpath.

20 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Let's change the name of the ****ing city too. 

Idiots

You seem very bothered by this.

Not in your city or community, so why are you losing your sh"t over it? You pay taxes there?

If Tyler taxpayers wanna change it, let em.

Only thing that'll be interesting to me is the amount of new stuff that will already need to be changed. Lee and JT opening up new schools this fall, with the school names already engraved. New turf coming to Rose, who knows what that design looks like. New uniforms already in route that'll need to be changed...etc.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Stoney said:

After the failed treasonous coup attempt on President Trump by Obama and his corrupt underlings, I am offended by all the schools, highways, buildings and bridges named after Barack Hussein Obama  ....  they all should be renamed....

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, ANTI said:

You seem very bothered by this.

Not in your city or community, so why are you losing your sh"t over it? You pay taxes there?

If Tyler taxpayers wanna change it, let em.

Only thing that'll be interesting to me is the amount of new stuff that will already need to be changed. Lee and JT opening up new schools this fall, with the school names already engraved. New turf coming to Rose, who knows what that design looks like. New uniforms already in route that'll need to be changed...etc.

That is what I am talking about.  If you change the name of the schools because they are offensive, then you have a lot of soul searching to do in that town.  How does one go about changing a city name?  Who knows how many civil war references there are in the city of Tyler.  

John Tyler was a slave owner.  The city is named after him.  So the reason for me being "bothered" is why are you starting at the bottom with the schools instead of starting at the top.  Take down the city name and you have set precedent to change it all.

35 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Stupidity is ideolizing anything confederate related..

Stupidity is condemning half of an entire nation over 150 years later. It was a different time and a different culture. Yes slavery is wrong, but not all of the south owned slaves or was pro slavery. Many southerners fought for their homes, their land, and their families and countrymen. This may blow your mind, but there were some good people that lived in the South during the time of slavery. Obviously, there were plenty of evil men as well on both sides. Those people are dead and gone and God has already judged them. Maybe we should never make statues for any man or woman, because we are all guilty of sin and wrongdoing or maybe we just happened to live at a time where things were culturally acceptable during our lifetime even if we didn’t agree. I think abortion is evil, but it is acceptable in our culture today. I hope there comes a time where it is illegal and people feel the same way towards it as they do slavery. 200 years from now they may be tearing down all of the statues of people during our time because they lived during the abortion era! The point is, if someone or something has to be perfect to have a statute or have something named for them/it, there should only be statues of Jesus Christ, because he was the only perfect person. I mean how much good does  someone have to do to cover up their mistakes or the mistakes of their contemporaries to be honored or revered?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Stinks 1

1 hour ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Gregg county was named after General John Gregg of the CSA. Maybe it should be changed too. You’re going to be hard pressed not to find a county or town not named after someone with a dubious history. I don’t understand it. US Grant was torn down. The guy that lead the Union Army. A Lincoln statue is being targeted because there is a black man kneeling at his feet. Nobody thought it was important to find out who funded that piece of art. It was purchased by freed slaves. They wanted it up. Obama was in office for 8 years. Ferguson, Baltimore, Trayvon Martin and countless others were killed on his watch. I never heard of any statues or changing of names during his tenure. In the name of diversity they should join the two schools and call it Earl Campbell High School. 

If you never heard of any of this before Obama, then you must have had your head in the sand. People have tried for decades to get the name of R.E.L off of schools across America and yes including here in Tyler. Maybe if these schools and America taught the real history of America, then people wouldn't have a problem with these statues, instead of glorifying these people who committed treason against the United States.  You have textbooks used to teach our students in Texas, that "workers" from Africa were immigrants, instead of calling them enslaved human beings. These slaves were chained, forced to work long hours, were beaten, raped, murdered with little to no compensation. How about some statues of the slaves that fought back or the people in the south that spoke out against this inhuman behavior?

The people against the name change and for the Confederacy are quick to point out that we're erasing history, but lets tell all of the history instead of glorifying these murders, rapists and torturers . There is a place for REL and these other traitors against America and that place is a museum. That way the people that really want to learn about the history of the Civil War and slavery can actually learn about the good and bad of these people, and not some statue that was most likely put up to promote supremacy or used to invoke fear.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ANTI said:

Stupidity is ideolizing anything confederate related..

No stupidity is erasing history like it never happened.....notice GERMANY left Auschwitz up so THEY wouldn't forget and have it happen again.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stoney said:

If Tyler ISD is going to rename Lee then you have to look at John Tyler too. Will the city be renamed? Will the county? Rename both or none. 

Just don't use my tax dollars for the re-naming. Every school in Tyler has been rebuilt in the past several years, so the tax payer has paid his/her fair share. If people are so dead serious on this issue then they can contribute to the cause.

2 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Wait until he finds out the first legal slave owner was black and successfully sued to keep them in the 1600s . We won’t get into the actually sold said slaves to the white peoples. 

I’m sure that’s known by a lot but just overlooked. Doesn’t fit agenda. 

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Not a surprising answer coming from you.

28 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

No stupidity is erasing history like it never happened.....notice GERMANY left Auschwitz up so THEY wouldn't forget and have it happen again.......

Whats not surprising is you lie about my quote.....typical.......

36 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

Yeah, but I doubt kids are attending Adolf Hitler High School in Berlin.