Tyler ISD To Consider Renaming Lee and John Tyler

Stoney

1 hour ago, Eagleborn said:

Robert E Lee fought in war for our country... owned slaves. 

John Tyler owned slaves in our country....

Mexico has good food but in another country.......

Apples to oranges. 

Another dumb thing is compare these times to Germany. Last I checked we are going around Holocaust’n and genocide’n........

Change the redskins name, ok. Might as well change every other one too. They all will fit someone’s agenda. 

Got a poop from ol Anti. Must of struck a nerve. Funny how that works. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I'm just curious...

If some of you actually lived in Tyler..... and you had kids attending HS there..... and they schools were named Bobby Seale High School or Malcomb X High School..... and they told you they supported a name change to something less radical or divisive…. wonder how many of you would support THAT change?

I mean...it's history. 

I still think it should come down to what the current students and alumni want.  Everyone else can kick rocks TBH.

I’m sure some would complain. But let’s be fair about it. Say............ give 50 or 60 years or so.....

26 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I agree with this 100%

Unfortunately...this doesn't happen..... especially on this forum.

I've always considered myself a "Reagan Republican"..... which use to be a well-loved name for a moderate/compassionate republican.... now you get called a RHINO and thrown in the same heap as a blue dog liberal.  Which I'm most definitely not.

We live in a world today that people cant agree to disagree anymore.  The hate from the right is just as outrageous as the hate from the left.

But on SDC..... I've gotten a ton more hate from the Trumpster crowd than the left.  I hail from the GOP.... but I don't follow the Cheeto's marching orders. 

GOP far right is in this my way or the highway mode right now. 

Back on topic..... let the people of Tyler decide about their schools.  Those of us outside of TISD should respect whatever decision they make.

You are equating Reagan Republican with RINO? .... :rofl:

2 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

You are equating Reagan Republican with RINO? .... :rofl:

Almost any republican would. 

Except this Piney Woods version of the GOP....apparently. 

29 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

We all know why you won't answer it.  Not because it's irrelevant.... it's because it reveals something about yourself you won't admit.

You know nothing about me......lol....and I dont waste my time answering irrelevant hypotheticals......got better things to waste it on......

9 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

You know nothing about me......lol....and I dont waste my time answering irrelevant hypotheticals......got better things to waste it on...…

Nor do you know anything about me....

17 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

Whatever......what a liberal thinks about me is as irrelevant as the hypothetical.....😅😅😅

I'm not a liberal...… but anyone that disagrees with your narrow views will get labeled as such. 

I have a name for you too

30 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Almost any republican would. 

Except this Piney Woods version of the GOP....apparently. 

You are really out in left field with your interpretation of RINO ... I knew Ronald Reagan and he was No RINO .... Cornyn, Romney, Murkowski,  Collins, Boehner,  Flake ... those are RINOs .... 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

It was treason per the definition given in the constitution.  They declared war against the USA. 

How can one claim to love this country and yet memorialize those that set out to destroy it???

Defending and celebrating treason. I don’t get it.

At the time states believed they had right to Secede from the United States. This view was held not only by southern states, but also some northern states. Thirteen southern states chose to secede and form the Confederate States of America. It was Lincoln that declared war on the Confederate States of America to preserve the Union.  The issue as to whether a state could secede from the United States was not decided by the Supreme Court until 1869. The leaders of the Confederacy were NOT found guilty treason. Therefore those that fought on the side of the Confederacy were not committing treason. 

• Thanks 1

UT just released their statement on how the request made by the athletes and others regarding the racial and other social issues will be met at the school.  It is a very good and thorough plan.  It seems to be met with appreciation based upon the Tweets that I have seen so far.

Kevin Eltife, Chairman of the Board of Regents and former Tyler mayor, was instrumental in spearheading the solutions.

I placed the text of the letter in the college forum under UT.

18 hours ago, Valhalla said:

All of the “after the fact” confederate statues are just giant participation trophies. It’s like when a college football team claims a National title from 80 years ago. 

Was Lee a terrible guy? Probably not. He chose the wrong side though and he lost. Winners write history. If you don’t like it then win.

If we’re not going to honor Americans who fought bravely in a war they didn’t win, why is there a wall with names of 50,000 soldiers who died in Vietnam in Washington D.C? Explain the difference. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

If we’re not going to honor Americans who fought bravely in a war they didn’t win, why is there a wall with names of 50,000 soldiers who died in Vietnam in Washington D.C? Explain the difference. 

Come on, man. The 50,000 soldiers who died in Vietnam didn't die fighting AGAINST America.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

That wasn’t a war against the government of America. 

And that is not the same thing as a statue of leader of rebellion against the USA. 

1 hour ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

UT just released their statement on how the request made by the athletes and others regarding the racial and other social issues will be met at the school.  It is a very good and thorough plan.  It seems to be met with appreciation based upon the Tweets that I have seen so far.

Kevin Eltife, Chairman of the Board of Regents and former Tyler mayor, was instrumental in spearheading the solutions.

I placed the text of the letter in the college forum under UT.

Yea the I’m gonna quit until I get my way usually works. Also renaming field after Earl is a great idea. Good for UT.