Tyler ISD To Consider Renaming Lee and John Tyler

Stoney

2 hours ago, cujoforlife said:

For my understanding why haven’t this thread been moved over to the political arena? It has been done the last two times this subject has been brought up.

I’m glad it hasn’t. Everytime I go over there my IQ drops a good bit. 

• LOL! 2

3 minutes ago, Bclove05 said:

Everyone should go over there atleast once during their time with Smoaky. 

3 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

I’m glad it hasn’t. Everytime I go over there my IQ drops a good bit. 

2 hours ago, cujoforlife said:

Okay

Y'all don't be skeerd!! The Snowflakes over there are kinda comical. 

18 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Change the town name for what? Tyler named after Tyler Herro. 

Not saying you’re wrong but if that’s the case why was the school named after that same Tyler?

....... nvm. According to Tyler Texas online the city of Texas was named after the tenth president of the United States. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

Not saying you’re wrong but if that’s the case why was the school named after that same Tyler?

....... nvm. According to Tyler Texas online the city of Texas was named after the tenth president of the United States. 

John Tyler as 10 president of US a strong supporter of Texas becoming a state sign the bill adding Texas to the Union.

For this reason because he is given a large credit for making this happen is the reason for his name is given to the city of Tyler. 

Tyler served the shortest term as a VP. Tyler was of the Wig political party. 

I have no dog in the fight.... but 7  people, board members, should never have decided this. Or, a few kids coming to a board meeting. Should have been voted on in a special election in the city. This is how it works in America. Or, it used to... btw, I was on JISD school board for 9 years and I would have never taken it upon myself to change the names. The schools belong to the taxpayers, they should decide whether to change the names or not, not 7 board members. Too big (and expensive, and emotional) for just 7 Tylerites to make such a decision 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Matt said:

I have no dog in the fight.... but 7  people, board members, should never have decided this. Or, a few kids coming to a board meeting. Should have been voted on in a special election in the city. This is how it works in America. Or, it used to... btw, I was on JISD school board for 9 years and I would have never taken it upon myself to change the names. The schools belong to the taxpayers, they should decide whether to change the names or not, not 7 board members. Too big (and expensive, and emotional) for just 7 Tylerites to make such a decision 

Totally agree ...

• Like 3

I'm wondering when and how this subject is going to be handled in Ore City. Regarding removing the mascot name of REBELS. I'm an OC alum. 

Hopefully, if it gets to that point, it will be decided by ONLY the townsfolk, current student-body, and alumni. Not a decision that should be made by 1 or a handful of people. 

I know it's made minimal media coverage thus far. There are two separate petitions being conducted...for & against. 

We shall see I guess. 

On 7/12/2020 at 6:59 PM, ANTI said:

Not a surprising answer coming from you.

Horrible things have happened through out mans time on this earth.  It seems to run in cycles.  Evil folks in control have one thing in common.  They burn books and most of all try to erase history.  How many kids in today's schools have heard of the holocaust.  I suspect only a few.  Evil comes in cycles. Erasing history leaves us as a human race (Black, White, Indian, etc) more apt to go thru the same thing in later years.  Embrace history and keep it alive so the generations following understand the evil yet to come.History should be kept alive to act to prevent future human disasters  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Stinks 1

I got one bad and one good comment.  I challenge each of you to do a bit of reading and learn from the past.  Lots of history out there.  It always puts good against evil.  If you can’t afford books most people have a Bible.  Start with the Old Testament.  Most written history follows it pretty closely.  Nothing stays the same.  Empires and countries come and go.  The US is a babe compared to other societies. Our ability to overcome issues is remarkable.  Let the Masses decide their fate as far as the city.  Not the city council .  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Matt said:

Will this be challenged in the courts? .... is it clear the school board has the authority to do this on their own? ....

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama

48 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Will this be challenged in the courts? .... is it clear the school board has the authority to do this on their own? ....

Yes, the school board has the authority to change the name. I’m not saying they did anything illegal. No. What I’m saying is what they did wasn’t prudent, IMO. None of us should ever make life decisions based on emotions...for the TISD board to make such a decision without a vote by the community is surprising to me. IMO, they acted on pure emotion. 

There should have been more discussion, more debate, and then a vote by the people that pay the taxes, just like bond elections. 

I doubt this will be challenged by anybody given the environment that we are in right now.

• Thanks 1