The Smoakhouse Forums

Tyler ISD To Consider Renaming Lee and John Tyler

7 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

If you say that slavery was 50% of the reason for the war....then I would say that is more than a little.  

You could say it was half the battle.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If Tyler ISD is going to rename Lee then you have to look at John Tyler too. Will the city be renamed? Will the county? Rename both or none. 

I got one bad and one good comment.  I challenge each of you to do a bit of reading and learn from the past.  Lots of history out there.  It always puts good against evil.  If you can’t afford books m

Did you sleep through his 8 years of corruption? .... You can't be serious  ...  Here is a good start for you ... https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2017/01/02/18-major-scandals-obama-presidency/

Posted Images

8 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

If you say that slavery was 50% of the reason for the war....then I would say that is more than a little.  

Who is saying it didn’t play apart or support it? I mean racism is taught and shouldn’t be condoned. All races do this so really not a issue . 

18 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

Thanks, WHF!

A couple of things:

Genesis is an historical (and poetic) text of the Bible, and not a didactic text. Genesis, obviously, is Old Testament and deals with the Law of Moses. Jesus’s death and resurrection was the fulfillment of that law. A new covenant was formed. Christ left didactic scripture in the New epistles. The very words and actions of Jesus — the literal fulfillment of the Law of Moses and prophetic texts — tend to be an argument against vengefulness and retribution, including but not limited to the death penalty. If you are to take Genesis at its word, without context, then the executioner of a condemned man would have shed blood of a fellow man. And what about military campaigns? Lots of shedding of the blood of man on both sides. As my favorite author of all time said, “Never think that war, no matter how necessary nor how justified, is not a crime. Ask the infantry, and ask the dead.”

As for your selected verse from Romans, it has to be highlighted that Paul and Peter, who echoed Romans 13, were key figures in peaceful protest and civil disobedience. Their very preaching of the gospel was going against many of the authorities in the lands they visited. Not to mention, Romans 13 has been historically used by authoritarian “Christians” — including Hitler — to decry dissent. If you are to take Romans 13 entirely literally without context and without proper translation, you could argue Hitler was not in the wrong, and any and all who rebelled against him were wrong. That’s silly, and obviously neither of us would agree with that argument.

So then what? When apparent contradictions appear, it’s best to go back to the original text and see what was written in the Greek. Both Paul and Peter used the Greek word hupo-Tasso, which literally means to arrange things in an orderly manner, and historic readers would have understood this to be translated in a social context. It DOES NOT mean to obey, and it certainly does not give supreme authority to the ruling powers/entities. Paul and Peter could have used the word hupo-kouo, which DOES mean to obey, or to make oneself literally subject to. That word was repeated throughout Paul and Peter’s other letters when referring to the way children submit to parents, slaves to masters, wives to husbands, and believers to the church.

Paul and Peter, then, understood that a certain level of social orderliness was necessary in a macro sense, but promoted and lived out civil disobedience for their entire ministries, ultimately subjecting themselves in grace and humility to the consequences of those actions, without violent rebellion against the authorities. God consistently rescued them and their ministries for the kingdom continued.

Good conversation. I like hearing what other people believe and how they arrive at those beliefs.

Genesis is a literal didactic book like all the rest.......i read no further.....no need to......

2 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

Genesis is a literal didactic book like all the rest.......i read no further.....no need to......

Ok, thanks for your time, WHF.

As a FORMER taxpayer in the fine city of Tyler and a father to 3 grads from REL AND married to a grad, I don’t really have a dog in this fight. I understand both sides of the fight but, in reality this board doesn’t have the ‘right’ to arbitrarily change the names of the schools.  They proposed and were able to PASS a bond to rebuild both schools under the auspices of the previous VOTE that was taken by the taxpayers of TISD.  Therefore, I think this issue should be put to the same vote of the taxpayers for a true and proper decision.  That being said....it AIN’T gonna happen!!    So flip a coin and name one of them Azalea High (The Peddlers)and the other Rose High(The Trailblazers) capturing the essence of the beauty of the city that exists year round In Tyler!!  

17 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

I respectfully disagree on scriptures not condemning things like the death penalty. I cited some examples earlier. But I appreciate your take on the subject, I’ll keep your perspective in mind and study up more, because I’m far from a theologian!

As far as fighting against injustice, I’m not saying you’re wrong, by any means, but purely for the sake of our conversation, how far are we allowed to go in the fight against injustice? I think the Hemingway quote about war that I cited earlier is very fitting for this conversation. There are shades of moral ambiguity to any war/military campaign.*

*I should put in a disclaimer here that I am very grateful for the service and sacrifice of our armed forces. Three of my close friends were/are Marines, and another good friend and respected Christian — who pastors a church in Austin — was an army ranger.

I’m conservative but I don’t support the death penalty and think abortion is an abomination. I would hate to be that person that plunges the needle or flips the switch. I’m not going to judge them. I fear my Father. To be honest I’m just going to be cautious. I see scriptures that give it merit. Mainly OT but some NT. I know Jesus didn’t sit back and twiddle his thumbs while a woman was fixing to be executed. A execution that was legit under the old law. He stepped in and stopped it. That’s all I really need to know. 

1 hour ago, in10sz said:

As a FORMER taxpayer in the fine city of Tyler and a father to 3 grads from REL AND married to a grad, I don’t really have a dog in this fight. I understand both sides of the fight but, in reality this board doesn’t have the ‘right’ to arbitrarily change the names of the schools.  They proposed and were able to PASS a bond to rebuild both schools under the auspices of the previous VOTE that was taken by the taxpayers of TISD.  Therefore, I think this issue should be put to the same vote of the taxpayers for a true and proper decision.  That being said....it AIN’T gonna happen!!    So flip a coin and name one of them Azalea High (The Peddlers)and the other Rose High(The Trailblazers) capturing the essence of the beauty of the city that exists year round In Tyler!!  

I could see that but one has a decent nickname the other well .

Cost will be around or over 300K....... The reverend on the board said local groups will step up and help with cost. 

Just now, Raiderfan7000 said:

Rose city is nice. 

Needs to be Tyler North and Tyler South. Almost impossible to hurt anyone’s feelings that way. 

Im just here to read the posts of ppl that's mad. Enjoy your night. ☕💁🏾‍♂️

• Haha 3
Just now, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Im just here to read the posts of ppl that's mad. Enjoy your night. ☕💁🏾‍♂️

I’m sure they’ll on at some point. 

• Like 1

I might mess around and think about moving to Tyler again, i got family there. 😂😇

27 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Needs to be Tyler North and Tyler South. Almost impossible to hurt anyone’s feelings that way. 

Public School 1 and Public School 2. Let them flip a coin for who gets what.

6 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

No naming after people. 

08A6E7FD-B789-4AFC-8251-0D132D7ADC4B.jpeg

That’s a pretty good way to cover your butt down the line. Just in case something like this ever came up again.

• Like 1
On 7/12/2020 at 3:18 PM, Stoney said:

Smith County. James Smith was a general during the Texas Revolution. He was from South Carolina and fought in the Creek Indian Wars. Shine the spotlight on that with today’s morals and see what turns up.

Lived in Nac established Smith county was representative of Rusk county buried in Henderson.